MG4 EV Charging Cost with EON

cfwood9

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy ER
I've just received my MG4 Extended Range Trophy. I changed my energy tariff over to "EON Next" which claims it should cost 9.5p per KWH between midnight and 7am.

I have charged twice, between the hours of midnight and 6.30am from circa 20% up to circa 80%. According to my Smart Meter, It looks like it has cost me around £14.50 both times I have charged. I have a 7kw home charger.

Can anyone tell me if this seems to be roughly the correct amount, considering the tariff should only be 9.5p per kwh?? It seems higher than I was expecting

Thanks in advance

Just for comparison sake, lets assume you have a 60kW battery pack. From 20% to 80% is 60% of 60 kW which is 36kW which at 9.5p/kwh should cost you (36 * 9.5) £3.42.
Looks like you have been charged at peak rate.

Assuming a peak rate of 30p, it would be 36 * 30 = £10.80

As above ... but it looks like you've been charged over 40p per kWh. What is your peak rate charge on that tariff?

I've just received my MG4 Extended Range Trophy. I changed my energy tariff over to "EON Next" which claims it should cost 9.5p per KWH between midnight and 7am.

I have charged twice, between the hours of midnight and 6.30am from circa 20% up to circa 80%. According to my Smart Meter, It looks like it has cost me around £14.50 both times I have charged. I have a 7kw home charger.

Can anyone tell me if this seems to be roughly the correct amount, considering the tariff should only be 9.5p per kwh?? It seems higher than I was expecting

Thanks in advance
When you say 'Smart Meter' do you mean the smart display inside your home ? If so you cannot rely on that display as it is not smart enough to differentiate between on and off peak tariffs, hence only gives you a price set within it.
Switch it to display Kwh used, you then can do the calculations. Also verify what you are being charged with EON.

Last edited:
I just re-read your post and I understand you charged twice from 20-80%.
Based on the assumption from my earlier comment, it would have been
  • off-peak at 9.5p is 36kw * 9.5p * 2 = £6.84
  • peak at 30p is 36kw * 30p * 2 = £21.60

When you say 'Smart Meter' do you mean the smart display inside your home ? If so you cannot rely on that display as it is not smart enough to differentiate between on and off peak tarries, hence only gives you a price set within it.
Switch it to display Kwh used, you then can do the calculations. Also verify what you are being charged with EON.
OK that makes sense - thank you!

Well I think it might be because the battery capacity for the Extended Range is 77KW so:

60% of 77kw = 46.2

46.2 * 9.5p = £4.39

The off peak rate is 32.37p so that would mean:

46.2 * 32.37p = £14.95

Which confirms that I am probably being charged the higher rate.

Thanks for the help @wenkatn & @siteguru
Perfect. You are right. I missed to read that you originally mentioned extended range. Because i didn't read that I went with an assumption of 60kwh as I am used to TR LR.

When you say 'Smart Meter' do you mean the smart display inside your home ? If so you cannot rely on that display as it is not smart enough to differentiate between on and off peak tariffs, hence only gives you a price set within it.

I'm pretty sure my IHD does

Not EON but I’m having one heck of a time with British Gas on their tariff which is very similar. Eventually they said I needed smets2 meters (the old smets1 was no good) but that hasn’t been commissioned. Thus far all my useage has been recorded at one rate. Depending on how eon do it there will either be 2 registers on the meter (say R1 import and R2) or if the supplier is smarter like octopus they just rely on sending the usage every half hour with some smarter calculating in the background. Have a look at my story on the ev tariffs forum but 1st thing I’d do is log in online and see what you can get from there - this was how I knew mine was wrong. 0 usage recorded at the lower rate and specifically with BG there was no lower rate on the meter or the IHD.

Hopefully you have smets2 meters which record the usage internally for 13 months so IF the billing is wrong it can be interrogated and corrected - good luck.

It tells me the instant cost, or cost per day which is correctly factored for the time of day
So you are saying you can enter a cost between hours of the day to cover an off-peak tariff and a different cost for different hours for a peak tariff. If so what make and model of IHD do you have which supports that?

I’ll have a look, but I don’t enter anything. The IHD knows the tariff which is input by the electric company

Last post on this was 2 days ago states "I've just moved to smart meter and next drive a day later. I have exactly the same problem. Display does not hold or use overnight tariff. So all costs are meaningless. Might as well switch display off."

Last edited:
Are you absolutely sure your smart meter is working in two rate mode? They may not have actually implemented your tariff.

I've had 6 months of hell with british gas who seem incapable of implementing ev rate on my smart meter to the extent the energy ombudsman is involved and they have been penalised with fines and rebates of £600 paid back to my account.

I still don't have a working ev tariff even tho i moved to it in march!!!!

Are you absolutely sure your smart meter is working in two rate mode? They may not have actually implemented your tariff.

I've had 6 months of hell with british gas who seem incapable of implementing ev rate on my smart meter to the extent the energy ombudsman is involved and they have been penalised with fines and rebates of £600 paid back to my account.

I still don't have a working ev tariff even tho i moved to it in march!!!!
That's a really poor show from BG. I'm with Octopus on their 'Go' tariff with cheap overnight and a Landis SMET2 meter. Octopus take the 1/2 hourly readings and bill me accordingly. Nothing smart from my Landis meter or IHD.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back