MG4 EV Charging Cost with EON

Eon are a pain in the butt. I changed from standard rate to what they call Next Drive Fixed Tariff which should be 9.5p midnight to 7am and 33.607p for the rest of the day with a standing charge of 43.657p per day. Yes I know there are cheaper rates from other suppliers but due to a cock up with Eon having the wrong post code for my meter I cannot change supplier at present.

Back to the relevant stuff, I have only received one statement since the change over (next one due any day) so not too much to go on as yet, what I have is below:

Period 20th September to 7th October
Rate Consumption Cost
9.05p/kWh 115.1kWh £10.416 (car took 101.98kWh according to Zappi app)
32.01p/kWh 101.2 kWh £32.385

Total consumption 216.3kWh @19.79p/kWh (looks like they averaged it)
Above figures are less VAT

My smart meter in home display does not show dual rates, only the total amount used which it multiplies by 30.71 then adds 43.65p/day. So that is now totally irrelevant.

I have shifted dish washer and tumble dryer to the "cheaper" period but that does not account for the discrepancy between what I was charged for and what was used during the cheaper period.

Not sure if I am being screwed, confused of Colchester.

I've just received my MG4 Extended Range Trophy. I changed my energy tariff over to "EON Next" which claims it should cost 9.5p per KWH between midnight and 7am.

I have charged twice, between the hours of midnight and 6.30am from circa 20% up to circa 80%. According to my Smart Meter, It looks like it has cost me around £14.50 both times I have charged. I have a 7kw home charger.

Can anyone tell me if this seems to be roughly the correct amount, considering the tariff should only be 9.5p per kwh?? It seems higher than I was expecting

Thanks in advance

We are on Eon Next Drive and with my car (MG4 Trophy) being charged last night from 28% to 80%, plus charging up the 13.5kW Tesla home battery from 10% to 100%, plus the heat pump warming up the house, the cost was £6.19 at 07:00 hrs this morning when we went to peak rate. If we are not charging one of the cars, the usual cost when we get up is about £2.00, which it tends to stay at, as the home battery covers all our daily needs.

We joined Eon in September and it took a couple of weeks for them to sort the system and readings and then put us over to the Drive tariff, but the Customer services was pretty good (much better that EDF). I would suggest you talk to them, we found them very approachable.

However.....we are talking to them again this week as my wife found out a couple of days ago that our online account is showing that we owe them £4, 225 for two months of power!!!!! Someone has made a lashup somewhere, and it isn't us 😂.

Last edited:

Last post on this was 2 days ago states "I've just moved to smart meter and next drive a day later. I have exactly the same problem. Display does not hold or use overnight tariff. So all costs are meaningless. Might as well switch display off."
Although my IHD displays the costs correctly in real time, I don’t use it as I use the Bright App (Hildebrand Tech). Yes you have to input your tariffs (once) & takes a few days to set up via the DNO), but very good data presentation of usage incl standing charge, all free also.

We are on Eon Next Drive and with my car (MG4 Trophy) being charged last night from 28% to 80%, plus charging up the 13.5kW Tesla home battery from 10% to 100%, plus the heat pump warming up the house, the cost was £6.19 at 07:00 hrs this morning when we went to peak rate. If we are not charging one of the cars, the usual cost when we get up is about £2.00, which it tends to stay at, as the home battery covers all our daily needs.

We joined Eon in September and it took a couple of weeks for them to sort the system and readings and then put us over to the Drive tariff, but the Customer services was pretty good (much better that EDF). I would suggest you talk to them, we found them very approachable.

However.....we are talking to them again this week as my wife found out a couple of days ago that our online account is showing that we owe them £4, 225 for two months of power!!!!! Someone has made a lashup somewhere, and it isn't us 😂

@Ejaydee Thanks for your response.

And can I ask if your IHD is showing the correct amount charge to incorporate the dual tariff?

Thanks everyone for the help so far, this site is really useful!

By way of an update.....I spoke to EON this morning and they said that it looks like my tariff may not have been switched over in the back end so they need to contact the back end team to ensure it is switch over and then contact me which might take 2 weeks. A bit frustrating that it might take that long but the advisor assured me that if the rate was incorrect then they would back date it to be correct.

EON advisor also said that they should be able to send an update to my IHD to reflect the correct tariff. I have no idea if it is possible for my IHD to reflect the dual tariff....does anyone know?

And can I ask if your IHD is showing the correct amount charge to incorporate the dual tariff?

Hi, yes it does, although it took Eon a while to find our meter. When they did, I rebooted the IHD, and since then it shows the expected consumption and tariff costs, and helpfully, does a countdown to the tariff change from 06:00 to 07:00.

I also have an app on my phone similar to one mentioned previously in this thread, but the one I use is called Hugo. I takes a couple of days for it to start to pick up the data after you signup for it and you are always one day behind, so at the moment is shows what we consumed yesterday and the cost (which is very similar to the IHD figures, although consistently slightly higher).

Hi, yes it does, although it took Eon a while to find our meter. When they did, I rebooted the IHD, and since then it shows the expected consumption and tariff costs, and helpfully, does a countdown to the tariff change from 06:00 to 07:00.

I also have an app on my phone similar to one mentioned previously in this thread, but the one I use is called Hugo. I takes a couple of days for it to start to pick up the data after you signup for it and you are always one day behind, so at the moment is shows what we consumed yesterday and the cost (which is very similar to the IHD figures, although consistently slightly higher).
Is it easy to set up Hugo?

Sorry I am out walking the dog, but yes it was easy as I remember, you need the serial number of the smart meter, your supplier details and tariff, and a couple of days later I had an email or message (can’t remember which), to say the app was up and running. It was a while ago so the details are a bit hazy though.

When you say 'Smart Meter' do you mean the smart display inside your home ? If so you cannot rely on that display as it is not smart enough to differentiate between on and off peak tariffs, hence only gives you a price set within it.
Switch it to display Kwh used, you then can do the calculations. Also verify what you are being charged with EON.
Thats not correct. My smart meter shows on and off peak charges and switches accordingly. If i charge overnight it displays kwh correctly and costing.

Are you absolutely sure your smart meter is working in two rate mode? They may not have actually implemented your tariff.

I've had 6 months of hell with british gas who seem incapable of implementing ev rate on my smart meter to the extent the energy ombudsman is involved and they have been penalised with fines and rebates of £600 paid back to my account.

I still don't have a working ev tariff even tho i moved to it in march!!!!
Im with BG no problems since they upgraded me to smet2. Initially wouldnt work and they refunded what they had overcharged for. Displays night and day tariffs spot on no need to do anything.

The EON Next app and smart meter displays don’t currently show the correct amounts on the Next Drive tariff. I’ve had exactly this experience with them, but rest assured they bill you at the correct level. They did explain that this would happen in the short term when I signed up, as this is their first EV tariff and they are still working on the systems. I checked the actual bills vs the data from my libbi and it was spot on.

Last edited:
Had same issue but Eon only charge you the EV rate on your statement, assuming your smart meter in your box is good. Ignore the box in your house. Mine still shows 29.9p rate 24 hrs a day. Your Eon statement will actually show you your ‘combined rate’ as well. My last one showed 19.9 p average per kw of electricity. Clearly that will change depending on ratio of day/night electricity usage. Cheers!

I wish I had a statement, last one was dated 13th October, nothing since then.
Now lost track due to IHD not being smart. I know I can get the information from the zappi app but it shouldn't be nescessary. A statement on a monthly basis would be a great help.

I wish I had a statement, last one was dated 13th October, nothing since then.
Now lost track due to IHD not being smart. I know I can get the information from the zappi app but it shouldn't be necessary. A statement on a monthly basis would be a great help.
I'm having a similar problem with E.on. I get a gas statement but not an electric one or I get two separate statements on different dates or they say they aren't receiving the smart meter readings.

Having sent and received several emails, some with telephone call replies, it appears that the EV tariff meter readings are handled by a different department to billing and they aren't sending them the readings.

Send them an email ([email protected]), they'll raise a complaint reference number and will reply in a couple of days.

I'm with Octopus, brand new meter (gas and electric) and in home display and it doesn't cope with the cheap charging rate over night - i usually wake up to the home display saying £14 or more!

I did e-mail Octopus - who confirmed that the display will show the wrong amount but it should be correct on my bill. Given that i moved to Octopus 2 months ago and they haven't yet sent me a bill - I'm waiting to see!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back