MG4 EV (Trophy) 0 to 60mph (0-100Km/h approx) timed run - faster than advertised!

Just timed it several times watching his video and using a stopwatch app on my phone. It's showing a time of 7.5 seconds 0 to 60. I think there's a slight lag before his phone realises he's moving.

Times quoted are normally for 0-62 mph (0-100 kmh) just a small difference if trying to be accurate. :)

Just timed it several times watching his video and using a stopwatch app on my phone. It's showing a time of 7.5 seconds 0 to 60. I think there's a slight lag before his phone realises he's moving.
Yep. Thats the problem. A fraction of a second can make the numbers skewed.

Even if you stopwatch it your speedo is probably reading 2-3 mph high anyway….

I find the MG4 speedo to be very accurate vs a GPS speedo. 70 on the car speedo will toggle 69/70 on my GPS speedo app. In my previous car (Insignia diesel manual) 70 GPS was 75 in the car.

I'd guess the speedo reading is derived from a pulse-based proximity sensor on one or more of the wheels. (Target diameter vs pulse count vs time = speed calculation)

Speedos by law have to meet an accuracy spec. They are not allowed to read underspeed AT ALL but can read something silly like 20% over.

So as a result manufacturers deliberately make them to read at least a couple mph high as if you could make it bang on accurate it allows no allowance for manufacturing variations or drift.

Your speedo is almost certainly optimistic.

On my Peugeot based 2021 motorhome compared with the satnav an indicated 70 is 65mph

Speedos by law have to meet an accuracy spec. They are not allowed to read underspeed AT ALL but can read something silly like 20% over.

So as a result manufacturers deliberately make them to read at least a couple mph high as if you could make it bang on accurate it allows no allowance for manufacturing variations or drift.

Your speedo is almost certainly optimistic.

On my Peugeot based 2021 motorhome compared with the satnav an indicated 70 is 65mph

They’re allowed to overread by a maximum of 10% (but must never underread)
20% would be way too much, that would mean someone at an indicated 70mph actually potentially only doing 58mph.

Typical overreads are 5-7% for most manufacturers. This means 75 is actually 70.
I measure speedo accuracy in every car, I’ve not seen a typical figure really.
Our Evoque is dead on at 70mph, a golf we had was right on the 10% limit.
Not measured the 4 at 70mph because mine won’t do 70mph….

As I said earlier, my MG4 shows 70 in both the car and on a GPS app on my phone. My previous Insignia showed 75 in the car when the app showed 70.

They’re allowed to overread by a maximum of 10% (but must never underread)
20% would be way too much, that would mean someone at an indicated 70mph actually potentially only doing 58mph.

This site gives an example that a car doing 40 can legally comply with 50 indicated……..

I measure speedo accuracy in every car, I’ve not seen a typical figure really.
Our Evoque is dead on at 70mph, a golf we had was right on the 10% limit.
Not measured the 4 at 70mph because mine won’t do 70mph….
Well not parked at the dealership it wont…..

As I said earlier, my MG4 shows 70 in both the car and on a GPS app on my phone. My previous Insignia showed 75 in the car when the app showed 70.
My Mk1 ZS EV and my current pre-facelift 5 also match speedo to GPS.

You say that but a few years ago a Ferrari was taken to an authorised garage for a service a few miles south of me and managed to close the dual carriageway a few miles north when it caught fire :eek:
I'd rather have an EV:

Attachments

• C29CA1E3-293D-458B-83B6-808EDD332B4A.jpeg
    C29CA1E3-293D-458B-83B6-808EDD332B4A.jpeg
    18.9 KB · Views: 49

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 500 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%