MG4 - First UK dealer hands on photos and specifications

glad I've found this forum now. i was going to ask about a heat pump as the dealer had told me that the mg4 Trophy long range had one, but owners have since told me that it doesn't. My interest in the heat pump was actually not due to efficiency but as im now ' less abled' and have mobility issues i was hoping that it would do a good job of clearing condensation from the windows in colder weather so that i wouldn't have to try and stand out in the cold and wet weather manually clearing the moisture to improve visibility especially of the rear window as it hasn't got a wiper I'm now hoping that using the app to preheat the car will make life easier for me to live with in the cold and damp months

Last edited:
glad I've found this forum now. i was going to ask about a heat pump as the dealer had told me that the b mg4 Trophy long range had one, but owners have since told me that it doesn't. My interest in the heat pump was actually not due to efficiency but as im now ' less abled' and have mobility issues i was hoping that it would do a good job of clearing condensation from the windows in colder weather so that i wouldn't have to try and stand out in the cold and wet weather manually clearing the moisture to improve visibility especially of the rear window as it hasn't got a wiper I'm now hoping that using the app to preheat the car will make life easier for me to0 live with in the cold and damp months
Don’t worry about pre heating the car in the winter, the facility in the App will make a good job of heating the cabin for you !.

Don’t worry about pre heating the car in the winter, the facility in the App will make a good job of heating the cabin for you !.
cheers i was more concerned about clearing the windows of condensation and improving visibility as even my current ice car needs the rear demister and heat blown to the windscreen to clear it so that i can see

glad I've found this forum now. i was going to ask about a heat pump as the dealer had told me that the mg4 Trophy long range had one, but owners have since told me that it doesn't. My interest in the heat pump was actually not due to efficiency but as im now ' less abled' and have mobility issues i was hoping that it would do a good job of clearing condensation from the windows in colder weather so that i wouldn't have to try and stand out in the cold and wet weather manually clearing the moisture to improve visibility especially of the rear window as it hasn't got a wiper I'm now hoping that using the app to preheat the car will make life easier for me to live with in the cold and damp months
As I understand it (happy to be corrected), a heat pump is slower at getting up to temperature than a PTC heater, so if your concern is how long it takes to clear moisture, having a heat pump may actually be a disadvantage.

Not if you are plugged in and not charging it won’t :cry:
(Fixed that for you) ... Currently - fix TBC from MG

But if you're not plugged in, or plugged in and charge is active then the cabin preheat does work. :)

So I guess the question is - how often will someone be in the situation of plugged in/not charging? :)

I have a heat pump in my current car...no discernible difference re time to warm up to be honest.

It's an efficiency thing. Both systems perform the same function admirably but a heat pump takes less from the batteries. So in winter a heat pump saves range in comparison to resistive elements.

As for a/c and battery cooling that is a different subject matter.

As I understand it (happy to be corrected), a heat pump is slower at getting up to temperature than a PTC heater, so if your concern is how long it takes to clear moisture, having a heat pump may actually be a disadvantage.

Well you did ask .....

Cars with heat pumps also have PTCs. For example the Gen 1.5 LEAF was available both with and without a heat pump. Both had a bigger PTC than the Gen 1.0, but it was the same with/without the heat pump. Starting from cold the PTC is used to heat the coolant for the motor which also is used for cabin heating. The heat pump takes heat from that circuit more efficiently than just a radiator, but if there's no heat there's nothing to move. So both heat at the same rate, just the heat pump is more efficient.
On the LEAF with a small, sub 20kWh, battery the extra efficiency of the heat pump makes a noticeable difference to the range. With a big battery it's less significant in a single long journey, but still significant in multiple short journeys. In terms of cost a bigger battery is now cheaper than a heat pump and less complex, provided there's room for it.

(Fixed that for you) ... Currently - fix TBC from MG

But if you're not plugged in, or plugged in and charge is active then the cabin preheat does work. :)

So I guess the question is - how often will someone be in the situation of plugged in/not charging? :)
Doesn’t work for me either way, if plug is in the charger whether it’s actively charging or fully charged then you ain’t getting no cabin heat unless you trawl outside in your PJs and slippers and unplug the poxy thing.

Doesn’t work for me either way, if plug is in the charger whether it’s actively charging or fully charged then you ain’t getting no cabin heat unless you trawl outside in your PJs and slippers and unplug the poxy thing.

I don't have my car yet so cannot comment on the app charge scheduling.

My thinking goes a follows

If you set the schedule in the app, and with the LR you can set % to charge to say 90% (if all this can be done in the app) then in the morning using the app start a manual charge to 100% which should enable active charging and then cabin heating function? All theory but could it be a workaround?

Don't know maybe talking bull as normal given you say it doesn't work on active charging either!!!!

If you set the schedule in the app, and with the LR you can set % to charge to say 90% (if all this can be done in the app) then in the morning using the app start a manual charge to 100% which should enable active charging and then cabin heating function? All theory but could it be a workaround?

Don't know maybe talking bull as normal given you say it doesn't work on active charging either!!!!
I have done much experimenting and cursing while standing on my driveway. For me, it doesn’t matter if it is charging/not charging, if the plug is in the charger then no preheat via app. When plug removed from car then preheat will work.

On the ZS EV facelift, when you set the preheating from the App ( taking power from the HV battery ) it will advise that the heating will only run for ten minutes and then turn off.
Then minutes run time does not take a massive amount of range from the GOM.
I will take the advantages of preheating the car over the small loss of range all day !.
Getting into a warm defrosted car in the winter, is priceless !.

The MG4 does the same - I wonder if it's an iSMART app/MG server thing rather than being hard-coded into the cars?

I have the issue with preheat only when plugged in not charging and so this workaround works for me, to save a long walk in the office carpark, when I get a charge. So if it's finished charging I restart the charge by increasing the charge to % and this allows a cabin preheat. Once heating I can stop the charge and the heating continues.
@Crawfyp what infotainment version are you on?

My Trophy will pre-heat when plugged in but have to set to charge first, wait a minute then activate pre-heat, then stop charging and pre-heat stays on. I hope MG change this in updates. My Volvo would pre-heat cabin, seats, steering wheel, windows all when plugged in after an overnight charge without unplugging or setting a charge again.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 529 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back