MG4 - First UK dealer hands on photos and specifications

Well if everyone placed an order with every MG dealerships and then took the first one available and cancelled the rest it would be a complete mess wouldn't it. Surely you should be asked if you genuinely want two cars and why have you placed them in different dealerships... clearly no intention to buy two. Its a bit like booking 10 tables at a restaurant so when you get there you just pick the best one and cancel the rest. That's called selfish
I personally don’t see the point of ordering from multiple dealership’s for the reasons you mentioned, I’m sure any good MG dealer will do their best to accommodate genuine orders.

Well if everyone placed an order with every MG dealerships and then took the first one available and cancelled the rest it would be a complete mess wouldn't it. Surely you should be asked if you genuinely want two cars and why have you placed them in different dealerships... clearly no intention to buy two. Its a bit like booking 10 tables at a restaurant so when you get there you just pick the best one and cancel the rest. That's called selfish
He only ends up with one car. The other car will be sold very easily. He is just playing the game and at no harm to the dealers. They will be able to sell all that they can get their hands on. It is nothing like booking 10 tables at a restaurant and only using one. That would leave 9 tables empty causing a huge loss of income.... That would most definitely be selfish.

He only ends up with one car. The other car will be sold very easily. He is just playing the game and at no harm to the dealers. They will be able to sell all that they can get their hands on. It is nothing like booking 10 tables at a restaurant and only using one. That would leave 9 tables empty causing a huge loss of income.... That would most definitely be selfish.
I’m sure you’re right, just don’t see the point thoug.

Ok not exactly the same as a restaurant but let's say he's booked multiple, and I'm told by my dealer my car won't be in this batch because there's only 100 and they're all taken, so it wont be for another 6 months. So I've not made plans to receive the car and maybe i had to get another one until its ready or I haven't got the cash in place in time.

Next minute they call and say someone cancelled you can have it next week, I've not prepared to buy the car yet and therefore I loose the purchase, all because your friend pre booked more than what he intended to buy.

In summary people doing that sort of thing is annoying because it completely messes up people knowing when they can receive it.

Maybe a better analogy would be running down to the pool and placing loads of towels out around the pool. You don't need them all but you'll reserve them. I then walk down and go oh no they're all taken, ill have to make plans to take my family somewhere else then... then your mate takes half the towels off. They will be taken because its a popular place, but not by someone who already made plans to sit around the pool all day because selfish people took more than they needed.

Ok not exactly the same as a restaurant but let's say he's booked multiple, and I'm told by my dealer my car won't be in this batch because there's only 100 and they're all taken, so it wont be for another 6 months. So I've not made plans to receive the car and maybe i had to get another one until its ready or I haven't got the cash in place in time.

Next minute they call and say someone cancelled you can have it next week, I've not prepared to buy the car yet and therefore I loose the purchase, all because your friend pre booked more than what he intended to buy.

In summary people doing that sort of thing is annoying because it completely messes up people knowing when they can receive it.

Maybe a better analogy would be running down to the pool and placing loads of towels out around the pool. You don't need them all but you'll reserve them. I then walk down and go oh no they're all taken, ill have to make plans to take my family somewhere else then... then your mate takes half the towels off. They will be taken because its a popular place, but not by someone who already made plans to sit around the pool all day because selfish people took more than they needed.
But you won't lose the purchase. You just say " no thanks, I want to wait for the full 6 months". They will sell that car to someone else, and your car is still on order.

The towel analogy is way better than the restaurant scenario...

Well if everyone placed an order with every MG dealerships and then took the first one available and cancelled the rest it would be a complete mess wouldn't it. Surely you should be asked if you genuinely want two cars and why have you placed them in different dealerships... clearly no intention to buy two. Its a bit like booking 10 tables at a restaurant so when you get the

Does seem strange that the MG ordering system wouldn't flag what it may see as "duplicate orders".
Though, can't blame anyone for trying to find an angle on these things.

Does seem strange that the MG ordering system wouldn't flag what it may see as "duplicate orders".
Though, can't blame anyone for trying to find an angle on these things.
At this stage are as I understand it they are pre orders with the individual dealers which will be converted into orders when ordering opens. I have placed a pre order but it’s not on a specific trim yet.

At this stage are as I understand it they are pre orders with the individual dealers which will be converted into orders when ordering opens. I have placed a pre order but it’s not on a specific trim yet.
Exactly. But that means that it's not possible for anyone to know where they stand about getting their desired car out of the first batch. That may not worry you, but it makes a mockery of the whole process. Using the restaurant analogy, you have "booked" a table of unknown size at an unknown time on the opening night. But what do subsequent reservations mean if yours is later given preference because the original intention to book something was made first when you firm up on the details? I might want the table for four by the window at 8:00, but if the restaurant subsequently gives you preference when you firm up on the details I get let down. And to make matters worse, rather than running one diary for the table reservations, each waiter is accepting reservations for any table in their own diary. Good luck to MG on trying to sort this out, but clearly they've managed in the past.

Exactly. But that means that it's not possible for anyone to know where they stand about getting their desired car out of the first batch. That may not worry you, but it makes a mockery of the whole process. Using the restaurant analogy, you have "booked" a table of unknown size at an unknown time on the opening night. But what do subsequent reservations mean if yours is later given preference because the original intention to book something was made first when you firm up on the details? I might want the table for four by the window at 8:00, but if the restaurant subsequently gives you preference when you firm up on the details I get let down. And to make matters worse, rather than running one diary for the table reservations, each waiter is accepting reservations for any table in their own diary. Good luck to MG on trying to sort this out, but clearly they've managed in the past.
I get your point to an extent but each dealer or waiter in your analogy will be allocated a set amount of cars from the first batch so they wouldn’t have access to each other’s initial batch. That said I don’t think people should be pre ordering with multiple dealers with the intention of cancelling!

Am I missing something, or do the lower spec models not have a satnav?
No that’s right no navigation but you do have Apple car play and android auto so you can just use our phone the only model that does have navigation is the trophy LR
Les
Ps full specs on MG.co.uk Website.
The other thing also on the trophy LR you do get satellite navigation but you don’t get Apple car play or android auto

Last edited:
No that’s right no navigation but you do have Apple car play and android auto so you can just use our phone the only model that does have navigation is the trophy LR
Les
The other thing also on the trophy LR you do get satellite navigation but you don’t get Apple car play or android auto
On the Triphy you MUST gey android and apple car play! Otherwise I'll cancel my Trophy. I've checked the spec and you do on the Trophy, if you didn't it would be the craziest decision ever in human kind lol

Despite the Trophy LR list not showing the CarPlay and Auto features on the configuration list, it’s still featured. Everything SE has, Trophy does too

Despite the Trophy LR list not showing the CarPlay and Auto features on the configuration list, it’s still featured. Everything SE has, Trophy does too
On the official website it lists it on all 3 models, not sure where you're looking that says it doesn't.

On the official website it lists it on all 3 models, not sure where you're looking that says it doesn't.
…when looking at the configurator spec list for each trim, not the full specification, it shows a list pertaining to the features the trim brings

When looking at SE trim it shows CarPlay and Auto, but Trophy it does not, which is where I believe Les was confused as he said you don’t get them on Trophy

But as we know, all in SE is included with Trophy

Attachments

• C73901F6-100F-49AC-992E-372EB675E8D0.jpeg
    C73901F6-100F-49AC-992E-372EB675E8D0.jpeg
    508.6 KB · Views: 88
  • B7395518-3F39-4177-8151-38D106D149FE.jpeg
    B7395518-3F39-4177-8151-38D106D149FE.jpeg
    471.3 KB · Views: 82
…when looking at the configurator spec list for each trim, not the full specification, it shows a list pertaining to the features the trim brings

When looking at SE trim it shows CarPlay and Auto, but Trophy it does not, which is where I believe Les was confused as he said you don’t get them on Trophy

But as we know, all in SE is included with Trophy
Ah right ok yes, otherwise it would have to list everything everytime. What I didn't find clear was is it a 7 or 10 inch touch screen. Or is it talking about the screen behind the wheel is 7 inch and the infotainment is 10?

Les
That's where I got it from, just couldn't believe that they weren't offering it on the two lower versions - so common now that most cars have it. I don't use my phone much and am not really interested in the phone versions - I have them on my current car and only tried them once, just to see if they worked. At least on the ZS EV and the MG5 all models have a satnav.

Hi yes your right to say the Trophy should have And I sure hope it does but it is not listed in the specs on the MG website so I was just quoting the Specs and nothing else I couldn’t believe satnav is not in the SEs sorry if i cause any Confusion
Just looking at MG website Adam it is not listed there, but hopefully it’s as benfello said above, the Trophy will have it as well as the SatNav but it does say that anywhere, I apologise if I’m wrong had I had said to Amun who asked the question yes it will everything on all 3 as all other models do have as he rightly point out then that would have been far more misleading in my book.

I have never even tried to use CarPlay or android auto quite happy with the satnav in my MG5 but if we do order a MG4 SE for the wife we will need to learn how or get the old TomTom out and update it seeing has it’s not been used In a good good while and as I said above sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

Im no expert on MGs or any other cars but I do always read all specs sheets and Owners handbooks from cover to cover when I am first given them that’s where I discovered the issues with the roof rails buy reading MGs handbook on line before I even had the car.
Les

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 500 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel