MG4 - First UK dealer hands on photos and specifications

Honestly guys, does anybody really give a dam about an 11 miles difference in range 11 miles that’s all for what ever the reason might be I ask you.😤🤮
Les
You would if you were in the middle of nowhere with 11 miles left :-/

But really to put something on a car that reduces range unnecessarily is a bit silly wouldn't you agree?

If I was selling something that cost more money and was a higher spec I would design it so that it gave you more not less of everything if possible. There's no reason to put a silly spoiler on apart from aesthetics, but you could put a spoiler on that helps the efficiency not hinder it. I prefer the cupra bourne spoiler as it is on most cars.

I said it was aerodynamically inefficient, I never said anything about weight. According to the specs, the Trophy LR and SE LR are similar in weight.
I'll happily sacrifice a few miles for the difference in how the Trophy rear end looks compared to the SE tbh...I think it makes the car look fast even when it's not moving. Looking forward to getting the call to drive one when you have them in @Miles Roberts CG...😎
See Goodwood Festival Of Speed GIF

Yeah, I saw that.
My only reason for saying extra weight was because I seem to remember this was mentioned in the podcast on the 19th, and also a couple of reviewers said the extra tech in the Trophy adds some weight to the car. My memory says 30Kg but that is probably wrong.
The reality is there will be loads of details we don't know yet, nor indeed may ever truly know.
It's more likely it's a combination of different factors that make the Trophy have less range.
I think your misheard or misunderstood? The SE short range is 30kg lighter than LR and Trophy.
They said it’s 30kg heartier than the short range, something like that….

Hopefully I’m the other “black sheep” then (same dealer - ordered last weekend), I went for the SE short range, for the LFP battery / value also.
Well I've had a call today to say I'll definitely be getting Blue SE in September as requested 😀. Hope you get yours too and good luck to everyone else. Sounds like Orange trophy very much top pick so depends on the split of colours in the first batch i suppose.

Hello everyone,
I just placed my £99.00 deposit with Luscombe MG, Leeds. I'm looking at the Trophy in white. Bring on the demonstrator!
I was looking at the SE Standard Range initially, but I need folding mirrors due to having a narrow drive. (I donged our new MG5 mirrors within 24 hours of taking delivery). Luscombe MG took out the scuff mark for free. The Trophy has so many more items as standard. Bring it on...
One question... Does the MG4 have a speed limiter? The MG5 was advertised as having that, but it didn't and MG changed the advertising text...

Hello everyone,
I just placed my £99.00 deposit with Luscombe MG, Leeds. I'm looking at the Trophy in white. Bring on the demonstrator!
I was looking at the SE Standard Range initially, but I need folding mirrors due to having a narrow drive. (I donged our new MG5 mirrors within 24 hours of taking delivery). Luscombe MG took out the scuff mark for free. The Trophy has so many more items as standard. Bring it on...
One question... Does the MG4 have a speed limiter? The MG5 was advertised as having that, but it didn't and MG changed the advertising text...
It's a legal requirement in the EU for new models and we were going to adopt it (and think we did), so the functionality will definitely be there

Manufacturers love to change the spec after you've ordered. It happened to me with Mercedes without notifying me. Tesla is notorious for making changes on the run on the production line I hear, but the waiting is so long and buyers are so keen to get the latest spec from Elon it works for Tesla. A similar problem I also inhad with BMW who also changed their advertising when I called them out.

You would if you were in the middle of nowhere with 11 miles left :-/

But really to put something on a car that reduces range unnecessarily is a bit silly wouldn't you agree?

If I was selling something that cost more money and was a higher spec I would design it so that it gave you more not less of everything if possible. There's no reason to put a silly spoiler on apart from aesthetics, but you could put a spoiler on that helps the efficiency not hinder it. I prefer the cupra bourne spoiler as it is on most cars.

For decades cars have been designed with additional decorative touches on higher spec models that don’t necessarily improve aerodynamic efficiency, it’s only with the increased adoption of EVs that people have been concerned.

But an 11 mile range difference WLTP is going to result in an actual difference of about 6 miles, if that. Really irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

I was a little naughty, in that to maximise my chances, I put in 2 orders (it was more by accident, rather than deliberate - and will probably cancel this one), and just go with my local dealer (who I also have an order with - which includes full paperwork, which gives me a bit more confidence) - I'm in no major hurry in anycase, as my solar EON system/batteries for the home arrive next week (hopefully after 1 cancelation already), and EDF goenergy "fixed" tarrif (still has issues with the SMART meter) - the Ohme charger is fitted.

The other reason why I'm holding back is incase Liz Truss reduces VAT accross the board (like we had in 2008/09, when we bought our last car aka VW Tiguan 170 - which has been perfect for the last 14 years. )

Anyway please comment on this (I only want the standard model - which i understand has the more resilient LFP (LiFePO4?) batteries )

As you may have seen in various forums, the first batch of the initial 2000 MG 4’s to be delivered in 2022 has now been sent to dealers as initial launch stock to ensure every dealer has the opportunity to showcase the new car. Every dealer must keep 2 cars unsold, 1 for the showroom and 1 for demonstration purposes.

The size of each dealer’s allocation is relative to target/previous volumes, and being MGs largest dealer, we have had the UK’s largest allocation of 15 cars for September. Unfortunately, the mix of these 15 cars doesn’t wholly reflect the order take to date as 10 of the 13 cars we have available to fulfil customer orders are Standard Range SE’s.

This afternoon MG have formally launched the finance packages for the MG 4 which means that we can solidify a price/deal for all pre-orders. I’m pleased to report the finance package is very attractive so would urge everyone looking to purchase the MG 4 this way to contact us with details of their deposit, preferred mileage and term and we can present to you the monthly payments.

For all but 3 of the Long Range orders, whilst frustrating, the next batch is following in late October/early November. We don’t yet know what the mix of this batch will be, and how much larger it is than the first. MG haven’t finalised how the next batch will be allocated. Either way, you are well placed as we have both the earliest order numbers and the highest order bank, so whether it’s first come first served, or on allocation based on volume, we'll be getting a large number.

As this is a whole new car on a whole new platform, while the cars are now in the UK, MG are distributing these to the dealers in the 3rd week of September to coincide with a dealer staff training event, which is also when demonstrators will be available. We will also send out an in-depth video tour of the car when our first one arrives to everyone receiving this email.

If you have any questions in the mean time, please feel free to ask me personally. Alternatively, let me know if you’re looking for some finance figures and a member of the sales team will provide some personalised quotations.

Kind regards​

Last edited:
But an 11 mile range difference WLTP is going to result in an actual difference of about 6 miles

In reality it'll probably be a larger % than the 11 miles out of 281 (4%) implies, but of course no-one will ever know as people don't drive in the same way that the tests are conducted.

In reality it'll probably be a larger % than the 11 miles out of 281 (4%) implies, but of course no-one will ever know as people don't drive in the same way that the tests are conducted.

I’m not sure why you think that. YouTube “real world” videos where the Model 3 is tested with and without their aero wheel caps show a much smaller difference than that car’s official WLTP figures suggest, as an example.

I’m not sure why you think that. YouTube “real world” videos where the Model 3 is tested with and without their aero wheel caps show a much smaller difference than that car’s official WLTP figures suggest, as an example.
I think it better if we agree to disagree. If you like the package that the Trophy represents at the premium MG charges then I hope that you manage to get one soon. Suffice to say that I'll not be seeking to retrofit one to my SE when that arrives.

I think it better if we agree to disagree. If you like the package that the Trophy represents at the premium MG charges then I hope that you manage to get one soon. Suffice to say that I'll not be seeking to retrofit one to my SE when that arrives.
I agree, choices really, I’m sure I’ll be happy with my bulk standard SE, although I am contemplating a shiny black roof wrap which I think will look stunning On the artic white.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 541 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back