MG4 - First UK dealer hands on photos and specifications

Heated front seats are my Wife's essential extra and again it's only on Trophy. So it's an extra 3K for our two essential extras/gimmicks and there is other useful kit too, including a few safety features.

We have a fleet of HGV's that have mirror cams. They are causing a lot of problems including drivers refusing to drive them. I find they provide a distorted view and we are encouraging drivers to g.o.a.l (get out and look). They are by no means perfect.

Slightly off topic but with context I hope.

vetoed it due to no reversing camera
It's about time they were mandated on all cars as a safety feature.
Really? 😯
I like the fish eye lens that shows more field of view than my normal rear view /side mirror.
Yes, but it is still a very restricted view in comparison to looking all around using all three mirrors as you are supposed to. Refocusing from a screen to medium/long distance is hard for a lot of people, and people become focused on just what they see in the screen. I suspect that it this that is partly leading to the rise of RCTA although that's not great with pedestrians.

I'm also having doubts about ordering due to the lack of reversing camera. The SR SE would be perfect for us but wifey has vetoed it due to no reversing camera so we would basically be spending £5.5k for that one feature. The trophy is also so close in price to the Cupra Born we might go for that instead.

It's about time they were mandated on all cars as a safety feature.
How about fitting a wide angle lens to rear screen, I think it’s a good compromise or actually fit a rear view camera?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Yep. Crazy though. You're paying 5k for a reversing camera
its for the heated seats, and heated steering wheel too (assuming you have enough power to run them of course :) ) I know I know it still doesn't add up, but hey ho that's life isn't it?

My current car has a reversing camera. However, it's the first car I've owned that has this.

Having learnt to drive a few decades ago I don't automatically even think to look at it when trying to manoeuvre the car.
For me, personally, it's an added safety feature that I will use on occasion, but more as a backup to what my eyes are telling me.

I do find parking sensors, both front and rear, way more useful and very much depend on the beeps when getting in and out of tight spaces.

We're all different. Some like the benefit of certain safety features, and for others they're a must-have to be confident when out and about.

The MG4 has the safety features MG and the industry have sort of standardised on. So a car has to have certain things to be competitive. And because all cars need a range of features to a price point, we have the SE with the core set and the Trophy with the additional 4 safety features.

I've had a reversing camera in my last 4 cars I've owned. I'm currently renting a 500e that doesn't have one and I hate not having it despite the car being tiny. So it's trophy or bust for me.
I wouldn’t know how to reverse without one now, reversing my dads Honda Jazz, and i always thought it was close enough until you get out and realised you’re still like 4ft away from the wall, 😂

I was reading through the specs of the MG4 and surprised to see that the 360 parking camera is in the "in car entertainment" section, not the safety section! Yes I know the camera is on the infotainment screen, but still!

I've got to admit, am thinking of cancelling my order. Love everything about the look of the car. But the Trophy is too much of a stretch financially, but having lived with a reverse camera now for a few years feels like a big backward step to not have one and all the after market options seem a bit clunky 😥
Reversing camera's do give a lot of parking security but I had a car one or two ago with a really useless rear camera but al round parking sensors and I could park that in tighter spots with confidence with my eyes closed better than any car I've had with rear parking assist camera.

So Options

1, Get some front parking sonic sensors fitted
2, Get a Dash Cam with secondary rear-facing camera
3, Get one of those number-plate surrounds with an integrated parking camera and gamble on the MG4 SE head unit having an input to take "Video In" around the back

If you check MG4 spec, both SE LR and the Trophy has the same weight 1685kg, so it has nothing to do with weight.
That would imply that the spoiler weighs literally zero. And the same logic applies to any extra toys that are on the trophy but absent on the SE.

Me thinks the weights are not the same.....

That would imply that the spoiler weighs literally zero. And the same logic applies to any extra toys that are on the trophy but absent on the SE.

Me thinks the weights are not the same.....
Agreed. There will be some small weight difference between SE LR and Trophy LR.

Not because of the spoiler that much, as it's only a few kg I'd expect.
More material items like the driver's electrically adjustable seat will need a motor somewhere, so that's another few kg. Heated seats maybe a few more kg.

I doubt it adds up to a massive amount in real terms, but the Trophy must have some weight difference from the SE to accommodate these extra items. Well, that's my uninformed opinion anyway.

I don't really care about a reversing camera - I'd prefer sensors. The 360 camera is loads more useful to me though. really helps with tight parking spaces.

When did cameras replace eyes and mirrors... Have observations been removed from the driving test?
Any mobility issues aside, I don't get it...this is not a car of a size that's any hassle to park. Reverse camera is surely a nice to have if it's there, but it's not some magic function that eliminates all blind spots. Each to their own though.

When did cameras replace eyes and mirrors... Have observations been removed from the driving test?
It's a bit like saying, when did automatic gearboxes replace a left arm and foot. Things move on, technology gets better, if its there why not have it of it makes things easier.

My current car has a reversing camera. However, it's the first car I've owned that has this.

Having learnt to drive a few decades ago I don't automatically even think to look at it when trying to manoeuvre the car.
For me, personally, it's an added safety feature that I will use on occasion, but more as a backup to what my eyes are telling me.

I agree, however did we manage all those years without reversing cameras or sensors. :unsure:

I am contemplating getting a '4' and as usual want the one with all the goodies - I've had the ZS EV and the '5' both exclusive. However I sat down and a little think to myself and tried to think of all the goodies I actually use regularly in the cars I've had and really couldn't do without. Ignoring the obvious like indicators (most of the time) and electric windows etc, the list of extras/goodies finally came out at.....drumroll....... cruise control and aircon/heater and now AA/Carplay.
The rest are just there, rarely if ever used. I enjoyed the blindspot and the rear cross traffic thing on the ZS but don't miss it on the 5 and the reversing camera is just misleading so could happily now do without and continue with the mirrors.

How about fitting a wide angle lens to rear screen, I think it’s a good compromise or actually fit a rear view camera?
I'd forgotten all about those lenses! I now recall seeing a lot of them back in the 80's. Mind you, back then cars were often sold on having larger glass area for better rear vision, whereas now, rear glass has shrunk to next to nothing on many cars, once you add in 3 headrests, you can often see next to nothing! Maybe all cars really should be mandated to need rear cameras. At a production scale level they cost peanuts to include.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 507 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back