MG4 Heating working but won’t heat up

This is stupid of its the case but because it was cold as soon as the very slow boot up Sequence finished on the screen I swiped down and enabled the heating and changed the settings.

All I'm thinking is I turned it on too soon before the car 100% booted up. It did it a couple of times on my MG5 when I put it into drive before it had fully booted up.

Worked next time I switched the car on
I have found when setting things before driving off it turns my options off as soon as I go into drive. So I always go into drive, move 2 ft then stop do my preferred settings and then drive. For example the heated seats and heating requires this routine everytime, which is nuts. 🤪🤪

I have found when setting things before driving off it turns my options off as soon as I go into drive. So I always go into drive, move 2 ft then stop do my preferred settings and then drive. For example the heated seats and heating requires this routine everytime, which is nuts. 🤪🤪
Thats not good enough is it if you have to do that each time.

I find that as long as it's in drive before turning on the heated seats then they stay on. I don't move and then stop. It took my wife a while to learn this in the recent cold weather as she was always a little too eager to turn on her seat heating!

I think I now know why. I was in ECO driving and ECO heating modes. I switched these off and got heating straight away. This of course is crazy, crazy you can’t have ECO on to save money, but you can’t have a nice warm cabin. Hopefully new updates on software will over come this. 🥶🥶🥶🥶😎😎😎😎
Heat equals battery usage so by association it can't be eco!

I think I now know why. I was in ECO driving and ECO heating modes. I switched these off and got heating straight away. This of course is crazy, crazy you can’t have ECO on to save money, but you can’t have a nice warm cabin. Hopefully new updates on software will over come this. 🥶🥶🥶🥶😎😎😎😎
You are correct Paul, I have the same problem when on ECO.
In fairness to MG, they do explain this in the online handbook.
I give it a boost on normal then switch back to ECO, it keeps warm for a while.

Eco has always reduced heating as it’s a big battery user.
hi we are so brainwashed by ice cars that burn so much fuel you have to have a sophisticated cooling system to remove heat that is not turned into work driving the car. A handy by product for a
source of energy for the AC/heating systems which are now all singing and dancing in ice cars and taken for granted.EV's have to have an autonomous pump and system for AC which will (especially now) sap energy from its finite battery resource. I keep having to remind myself of my old physics teacher who admonished me as an expert in the laws of "conservation of energy", but his piss take did at least make me look it up and learn it. To understand the fossil free world we have to go cold turkey and revisit our school kid physics; 1 carbon cycle 2 the above conservation of energy laws, 3. basic thermodynamics .just a thought. MG4se

I don’t think that using an EV heater should be that different to using an ICE heater. Yes, they can operate differently, but I just set the temp and stick my cars on auto and let them do their thing!

If you are in eco mode you should still be able to heat the cabin, you shouldn't go with out heating, most EV cars systems do limit the heat it can go to, but not shut it off.

Some of the heat is still a by product of the battery and the car uses that.

Obviously the 4 with a heat pump isn't available here, but strangely is in Spain, which is basically because the EU left hand drive model is pretty standard across the EU and Germany etc do get far colder winters than the UK.

I watched a you tube video of an EV owner in Finland comparing the same car with and without a heat pump and the difference in efficiency was negligible, it was minus 20 and the boy was still getting 2.8 and that was with studded tyres too.
He did actually add that his cars efficiency seemed to improve after he had it for 4, 5 months. Almost like and Ice car when you ran them in

As I recall, there's a settings toggle which will reduce the cabin heating effect when ECO mode is selected. Turn that off and cabin heating will work independently of drive mode.

I experienced the cold air problem the other day. It was a 2 hour pretty cold drive. I tried to change all related settings while driving, so it wasn't related to Eco-mode. The next day I tried again just in the driveway - and still only cold air. Ordered service, and then on the next drive, it started working again 2 minutes after starting the car.

Got the same issue with my EV6 as do others, only started after a software update, booked in next week for attention and more updates! So MG not alone with these issues Im afraid and Im now used to it, hopefully resolved if and when I get my car.

I've had it happen two times, both times geting out an locking the car, wait a minute and then unlock and start it has got the heat working. Seems that the car needs to "reboot" when this happens.

Some of the heat is still a by product of the battery and the car uses that.
I think on the 4 the heating system is 'dry'. The resistive heater lives at the front of the HVAC assembly under the bonnet, has a couple of thick wires and some thin ones in the connector.
Unplugged mine to see what would happen - no heat or response to heat controls until plugged back in.

I have had my MG4 for three days now. I am sitting in my car exploring the software. I cannot drive right now because of the snow, and my car has summer tires.

It's 2 degrees outside and 8 inside, and the car won't heat up the cabin like it did yesterday. I have tried the tricks mentioned here, but still no heating. Maybe someone here can tell me what is wrong?

The car is not plugged in.

Attachments

• PXL_20230430_053319390.MP.png
    PXL_20230430_053319390.MP.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 128
  • PXL_20230430_053329205.png
    PXL_20230430_053329205.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 112
  • PXL_20230430_053348032.MP.png
    PXL_20230430_053348032.MP.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 120
  • PXL_20230430_053502761.png
    PXL_20230430_053502761.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 120
  • Screenshot_20230430-074129.png
    Screenshot_20230430-074129.png
    115.3 KB · Views: 130
I notice the Air Volume In Auto Mode is set to low. If that is increased to medium or high does that improve things?
No. And the amount of air doesn't change either.

If I let it run for a while on auto the air volume changes from low to full blast without any temperature change.

It's 2 degrees outside and 8 inside, and the car won't heat up the cabin like it did yesterday. I have tried the tricks mentioned here, but still no heating. Maybe someone here can tell me what is wrong?
Lock the car, go away with the key and return after 10 or better 15 minutes. It will usually work then. I have this issue every week.

I have a stranges problem with my heater.
My outside temp. (upper right corner) is stuck at 85C' at the same time my heater have stop heating.
It seems like it can cool, but not heat.
I dont know if the outside temp. and the heater, is somehow related.

The heater as been worker flawless, only with a few days of shut off the car to get it working.
Has been driving around 25k in it,

Any thoughts on the heater and Outside temp getting stuck.?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back