MG4 Heating working but won’t heat up

That's a new one. It's common to get a transitory reading of 80-something (might be 87C?) from the app, and then if you re-scan it's fine. But I've never seen anything like that on the car itself.

Yes it's actually 87c the car is stuck on.
Even the app says 87c.

Is it possible to reset it?

Don't Know if it's related to the heater not working,
But it started at the same time as it got stuck.

You could try disconnecting the 12v battery for a couple of minutes to reset everything. Be prepared for loads of warning messages when its reconnected which should clear after it's been driven for a bit.

Tried my heater today for the first time, had to up the temp to 30C before any heat came out at all.
I'm in normal mode, heater in Auto mode everything else at default settings (no eco settings at all).

If you simply subtract five from the number on the central screen, that will give you the temperature the car is actually shooting for at that setting!
I would expect to feel heat before 25°

Depends. In my Golf I always had to start the heater on HI because anything lower than that didn't do a lot. (The highest actual number displayed was 26.) I only started to turn it down once the cabin was warm, and usually ended at 23. But starting at 23 wouldn't get me warm.

The MG4 is better in this respect. I set the temperature to 28 (for 23) and it actually heats up to where I want it - unless it's very chilly, when indeed I might start at 30 (for 25). I've never yet had to put it on HI, although no doubt that will come with the winter.

The ZS used to warm up quicker when I used demist first for a couple of minutes, I might try that tomorrow morning.
Update: Demist made no difference to the temperature, it still took a while to get warm.

Last edited:
I find the climate control in the MG4 very good, so long as I figure out how to set it so that it will do what I want it to do, rather than expecting it to behave in a certain way on the basis of how I set it. I particularly like the air vents, which seem to be able to get the whole cabin to the temperature I want it at, without blasting me with hot or cold air on the way there. There's a pleasant feeling of sitting in an environment that's comfortable, rather than relying on a draught that's an approximately tolerable temperature.

When I switched the demist off and reverted to Auto I did notice the cabin was warming up well, even though there didn't seem to be much coming from the vents.
I suppose I'll have to use the pre-heat function when the weather gets colder.

I found the system a bit confusing given the slide open/close and up/down direction controllers in the fascia. I run with auto fan and auto recycling and that seems to work after the system settles down from its loud fan heating/cooling start.

I haven't tried it at auto, having been spooked by the way it starts. I didn't realise it didn't go on like that! I just find a temperature I like and the lowest fan speed that will keep it that way.

I think I now know why. I was in ECO driving and ECO heating modes. I switched these off and got heating straight away. This of course is crazy, crazy you can’t have ECO on to save money, but you can’t have a nice warm cabin. Hopefully new updates on software will over come this. 🥶🥶🥶🥶😎😎😎😎
You can! There is a separate setting, where you can link Eco to disabling the heater and AC, or not link it. So you can chose whether Eco disables the system.

NB Eco just dulls the accelerator response, it doesn't really make the car more economical.

Quick question here, does the MG4 SR have "preheat" available or is it only Trophy?
Spoke to a dealer earlier this week and he said that only Trophy is able to preheat not SR but I dont trust dealers.

Quick question here, does the MG4 SR have "preheat" available or is it only Trophy?
Spoke to a dealer earlier this week and he said that only Trophy is able to preheat not SR but I dont trust dealers.
Especially most of the MG ones, the members of this forum know more about their cars than they do!!

The SR absolutely does pre-heat. So long as it's talking to the app, at least. There is a problem with it refusing to do it if it's plugged in but not charging, but these things are issues with the Trophy too. Some people speak of having had an update that has fixed that.

Pre-heating absolutely does work on the SE SR ... it was a boon last winter being able to clear the car before I even left the house/work. :)

It's the pre-heating that convinced me I didn't really care about not having heated seats. I only tried it a couple of times in April when it was still cold, but it worked a treat.

Decide it's time to go. Find phone, tell the car to pre-heat. Run around getting my stuff together, go to the loo, put on jacket and boots, and by the time I've done that, toasty car.

What temperature do you set the app to heat to?

During the depths of winter I set it to Max, so the windows were pretty much clear with a single 10 minute stint. :)

I keep mine in the garage in winter, so I don't have a problem with the car being iced up, but it's still bloody cold. You're probably about as bad, I think your elevation is close to what we have here.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back