Lanster27

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi all. Not sure if there are any Aussies here but I guess I'll try.

So the MG4 EV just began selling in Australia 2 weeks ago. Took one for a test drive yesterday and really liked it. Looking to get the base model 51kW. Do we know if this batch is identical to the ones UK/EU got last year or they have made some improvements?

After doing some research, the issues that I am mostly concerned about are:
  1. Some had deformed undertray beneath the rear motor. The ytuber said it is defect and covered under warranty. Can anyone in Aus with MG4 had a look at this and can confirm it has been addressed?
  2. Jerky and potentially dangerous lane keeping assistance (LKA) that forced most users to turn it off. Has a patch rolled out that improved LKA or allowed you to turn it off permanently?
Any other feedback and people's thoughts are appreciated.

Edit: Since this thread is getting a lot of traction, I thought it might be a good idea for fellow aussies to share our honest initial experience with the MG4.

Last edited:
Would be good to keep an Aussie thread going as I am pretty sure like most vehicles and other electronic stuff there will be differences with models sold here. Particularly software and updates that will be region specific. Many things will be the same but software and electronics not so much.... I am eagerly awaiting an essence 77 long range (I think equates to Trophy long range). It's currently on a ship that I am stalking daily 😀

I picked up the 51kWh model a couple of days ago & made the mistake of putting my foot down a couple of times to overtake a RAM. Not feasible in the country with such a small battery! Otherwise I'm pretty happy with it. Home trickle charges at 1.4 kW above 80% battery (maybe even lower) but perhaps that's normal. Side mirrors don't fold in when locked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would be good to keep an Aussie thread going as I am pretty sure like most vehicles and other electronic stuff there will be differences with models sold here. Particularly software and updates that will be region specific. Many things will be the same but software and electronics not so much.... I am eagerly awaiting an essence 77 long range (I think equates to Trophy long range). It's currently on a ship that I am stalking daily 😀
Also I assume the V2L cable will be an after-market purchase?

Great news mate. If its the 51kWh model I think that equates to the UK SE model so yeah no folding mirrors, that comes on their Trophy (our Essence) model. Yes V2L is add on as is the tow bar (for Mountain bike rack). Neither in stock as yet and told around Dec... I ordered those and a home charger (they have both 7 and 11 kW of those in stock). Would be keen to hear how you are finding it as all the discussions around software were the main concern...

Hooray! Finally a thread I feel like I can comment in!

I too have a 51 excite in order (I’m in Hobart) but no idea when it will get here. The dealership only got their first floor model - an essence, last week and we’ll take that for a test drive tomorrow.
I chose the 51 mainly because of the lower cost and the better LFP battery. We’ll hang onto the Kia Carnival for extended family trips.

We’re looking at Novated Leasing options to take advantage of FBT exceptions - but we’re both wanting to quit our jobs so that will be interesting. My partner will probably stay with APS so hopefully can just do a transfer with Smart Salary NL

Hooray! Finally a thread I feel like I can comment in!

I too have a 51 excite in order (I’m in Hobart) but no idea when it will get here. The dealership only got their first floor model - an essence, last week and we’ll take that for a test drive tomorrow.
I chose the 51 mainly because of the lower cost and the better LFP battery. We’ll hang onto the Kia Carnival for extended family trips.

We’re looking at Novated Leasing options to take advantage of FBT exceptions - but we’re both wanting to quit our jobs so that will be interesting. My partner will probably stay with APS so hopefully can just do a transfer with Smart Salary NL
hahaha, yeh feels a bit that way given the variances to the ones we are getting here. I am on the West coast. Ask the dealer to tell you what status the vehicle you have ordered is at.. They should be able to tell you if its still in build status or as in my case its on the ship (get the ship name and you can track it) Mine is on its way to Singapore (just passing coastline around India) then hopefully on its way to West coast. Hoping for end Sept at this stage but will see. Happy to share any info as I have it. btw I did mine on lease as it does save a lot with the new FBT legislation. Basically no GST, no FBT, pre tax salary and then whatever rebate your state is providing (WA is $3,500)

Last edited:
For your specific questions I can’t definitively say but regarding LKA it does sound like a patch has been rolled out with more recent software updates which tones it down. It also seems to be more of a problem with earlier model versions? I’d assume we’d get the latest version here.

I would check the software version and make sure it’s the latest before accepting it. One thing I need to find out is what is the latest version for the 51.

The underfloor bulge I think is more cosmetic than anything? Plus you can’t see it unless you get under the car. I’m not too fussed about that. You could potentially also refuse to accept it until they fix it, but I probably won’t bother unless someone points out something that hasn’t occurred to me about it.

Last edited:
hahaha, yeh feels a bit that way given the variances to the ones we are getting here. I am on the West coast. Ask the dealer to tell you what status the vehicle you have ordered is at.. They should be able to tell you if its still in build status or as in my case its on the ship (get the ship name and you can track it) Mine is on its way to Singapore (just passing coastline around India) then hopefully on its way to West coast. Hoping for end Sept at this stage but will see. Happy to share any info as I have it. btw I did mine on lease as it does save a lot with the new FBT legislation. Basically no GST, no FBT, pre tax salary and then whatever rebate your state is providing (WA is $3,500)

Awesome! I will ask again. They had no idea when I asked them before but was possibly talking to the wrong person.

I’ve ordered orange. Would love to see how it looks irl, but I do have a weakness for orange cars. I have an orange kombi that looks like a similar shade so kind of had to.

Awesome! I will ask again. They had no idea when I asked them before but was possibly talking to the wrong person.

I’ve ordered orange. Would love to see how it looks irl, but I do have a weakness for orange cars. I have an orange kombi that looks like a similar shade so kind of had to.
good colour pick. I went with the Camden Grey metallic. I havnt seen this colour in real life either so a leap of faith based on UK pics and videos.... I was confused with the orange after other comments that in UK its a flat colour yet in Oz they say its metallic??

I'm picking mine up on Tuesday. I've had two test drives (though I've watched so many reviews I feel like I've already spent hours in it) and really like it. Feels a little nippier than my 2020 ZS EV but not that different. The touch screen is much better and the cabin feels better thought out. Can't wait to put it through its paces.

C
I'm picking mine up on Tuesday. I've had two test drives (though I've watched so many reviews I feel like I've already spent hours in it) and really like it. Feels a little nippier than my 2020 ZS EV but not that different. The touch screen is much better and the cabin feels better thought out. Can't wait to put it through its paces.
Congrats.. and I know what you mean by reviews :) What colour?

C

Congrats.. and I know what you mean by reviews :) What colour?
I originally had a Camden Grey ordered but when I saw them all together I ended up going with White, which was available quicker (and $700 cheaper).

The dealers offered a woeful trade in on my ZS EV (with only 21,300 km on the clock) so I ended up selling online through Dutton Group and got a $6,000 better offer. With the $3,000 EV rebate to come I'll have done pretty well to end up with a car more like I wanted when I first made the EV jump 2.5 years ago.

.. I was confused with the orange after other comments that in UK its a flat colour yet in Oz they say its metallic??
That confused me as well. But I have never seen a shade of orange on a car I didn’t like. Well, apart from that weird terracotta on the Subaru XV.

My significant other just said “whatever” when i said I’d like the orange. But I’m not sure she realises just how loud it’s going to be.
It’s for safety ;)
originally had a Camden Grey ordered but when I saw them all together I ended up going with White,
White is my second preference on the order. And I ummed and ahhed a great deal.

We’ve never had a car under 10 years old so this is all very new.

Will be great to swap info and stories on our experiences. The differences between essence and excite models will mean quite a few differences tho I guess incl software versions.
Fyi, I ordered 3 x touch interior led lights off aliexpress to use for the rear lighting and maybe in the frunk :) for $2.60 each incl delivery I am amazed how good they are!! Also amazed that I ordered them last Saturday and they arrived today. So from China took 6 days.... I can't get a parcel from East coast to west coast via aust post that fast !!!

Went to Melbourne yesterday for a test drive. Rocked up and given a white 64 kWh essence and told to go for an hour or more drive wherever I wanted. Most impressed. Zippy, quiet and sure footed. Never noticed LKA. Maybe I change lanes correctly. Turned the wipers on twice which I thought wasn't bad considering indicator on wrong side to what I am used to. Tried the launch control a couple of times. Put a deposit down in January but still haven't got a delivery date. Possibly Oct - Nov I'm told. Have white 77 kWh on order which apparently has more grunt again.
If 1 vehicle out of 10,000 develops a rattle you can guarantee it will be front and centre on the forums. I therefore take little notice of the reported negatives.

Interesting... wonder if it's on the same ship as mine is on? If it goes Singapore, WA then east coast then that would make sense on the timing.

I went in today and a whole bunch had come in so not sure. They were expecting them to come fairly thick and fast.

The test drive went well. Turning radius is insane and overall felt very smooth compared to my Dad’s Gen 2 Leaf. Brakes were much better as well.

The only thing is they had this ceramic coating and interior protection thing on the contract. Three grand! Seems like a scam to me. I’ve seen others on the forum get it, but it seems pretty exxy. Salesman said “o if you polish it you void the warranty”. Okaaay.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back