Great that they are arriving as it will means parts etc too.. I did a short test drive and liked it. Felt more like a normal car if that makes sense. I also drove a mates model Y and model 3 tesla. They are cool but also not... tesla eco system etc means no Android auto, Apple play, no Deezer and no V2L. No mention of that coating here when I bought mine. I would say a marketing push to charge you more. Yeh turning circle was something I noticed the first time I did a u turn in a narrow street and that's saying something given my current car is an ND MX5 😀
I went in today and a whole bunch had come in so not sure. They were expecting them to come fairly thick and fast.

The test drive went well. Turning radius is insane and overall felt very smooth compared to my Dad’s Gen 2 Leaf. Brakes were much better as well.

The only thing is they had this ceramic coating and interior protection thing on the contract. Three grand! Seems like a scam to me. I’ve seen others on the forum get it, but it seems pretty exxy. Salesman said “o if you polish it you void the warranty”. Okaaay.

Great that they are arriving as it will means parts etc too.. I did a short test drive and liked it. Felt more like a normal car if that makes sense. I also drove a mates model Y and model 3 tesla. They are cool but also not... tesla eco system etc means no Android auto, Apple play, no Deezer and no V2L. No mention of that coating here when I bought mine. I would say a marketing push to charge you more. Yeh turning circle was something I noticed the first time I did a u turn in a narrow street and that's saying something given my current car is an ND MX5 😀
They actually didn’t mention it, we just spotted it on the contract and asked about it.

No Apple car play on the Tesla? Boo 👎

ordered 3 x touch interior led lights off aliexpress to use for the rear lighting and maybe in the frunk :)
Just for your info the 4 doesn't have a frunk

They actually didn’t mention it, we just spotted it on the contract and asked about it.

No Apple car play on the Tesla? Boo 👎
You definitely shouldn't have to pay for the paint and interior protection without having agreed to it. They're options that the dealers can offer but at $3,000 extra it's way above market rates (and I've found them not necessary at all). I'd be careful with this dealer if they're already trying on things like that.

I've ordered mine a couple of weeks ago. Originally picked a camden grey color but i think i tones down the black trim like the black pearl, so I plan to change it to silver to make the black trim noticeable (would probably look good with black wheel covers). I've already put a down payment and just waiting for my novated lease approved as it would save me almost $6k.

Had a test drive with the MG4 and it's punchy, just as advertised with its rear wheel motors. Didn't had a chance to experience any LKA issue. There was an option to turn the sensitivity to it's lowest (not sure if that made an effect to it). I'm going with a 64 kWh model of the excite. I've no use of a 360 camera or blind spot monitoring since i'm used to driving without one, but i do love to have those spoilers, and have the side mirrors tucked in. I also ordered an AI smart box for the infotainment since sat nav is not available on the excite model. Just a small upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've ordered mine a couple of weeks ago. Originally picked a camden grey color but i think i tones down the black trim like the black pearl, so I plan to change it to silver to make the black trim noticeable (would probably look good with black wheel covers). I've already put a down payment and just waiting for my novated lease approved as it would save me almost $6k.

Had a test drive with the MG4 and it's punchy, just as advertised with its rear wheel motors. Didn't had a chance to experience any LKA issue. There was an option to turn the sensitivity to it's lowest (not sure if that made an effect to it). I'm going with a 64kwh model of the excite. I've no use of a 360 camera or blind spot monitoring since i'm used to driving without one, but i do love to have those spoilers, and have the side mirrors tucked in. I also ordered an AI smart box for the infotainment since sat nav is not available on the excite model. Just a small upgrade.
Agree re the black plastic trim on the grey but I actually didn't want to highlite the black trim and want it to blend vs standing out 😀

Just for your info the 4 doesn't have a frunk
True not a true frunk, there are plastic molded fittings available now that fit in the front area albeit limited space that can be used to store charge cables rather than have them in the rear area of the car. That way it's at least usable for something..

Hey that's just made me think and the dealer when I ordered the car wasn't super sure what cable is included.. what do you get with the car? Just the basic car to stf house plug or a type 2 to type 2?
My Type 2 cable fits under the hood on top of the standard moulding just fine. :)
sure what cable

I assume you got at least one charging cable with the car? Was it a type 2 to type 2 or was it a type 2 to std house wall plug?

I've no idea what you'll get in Oz, but in the UK we typically got granny leads (3-pin plug).

My Type 2 charge cable is the 4m 32A 3-phase one from Tesla. It sits in a pull-tie poly bag rather than a fabric bag, and positioning the Type 2 plugs towards the bonnet catch means it sits very nicely on top of the plastic "engine bay" cover without putting pressure on the bonnet lid. :)

Just an update from the northern side of Sydney. Spoke to a dealer last week and they said more 51 kWh are coming on a boat this month. Spoke to another dealer and they said they dont even know when 51 kWh will come in and said they haven't sold a MG4 yet. Told me each dealer gets 4-5 MG4's each month and they don't know what model or colour they get.

Went back to the first dealer yesterday and they confirmed they now got one grey 51 kWh in the holding yards now as the boat has landed, asking me to pay a deposit to secure it.

In general I think the dealers here still don't know much about the MG4, they are still too busy selling cheap ICEs like the 3 and 5.

On another note, have you guys had any luck negotiating a better price than the website? Did the dealers throw in extras likes mats and window tint?

Just an update from the northern side of Sydney. Spoke to a dealer last week and they said more 51kW are coming on a boat this month. Spoke to another dealer and they said they dont even know when 51kW will come in and said they havent sold a MG4 yet. Told me each dealer gets 4-5 MG4's each month and they dont know what model or colour they get.

Went back to the first dealer yesterday and they confirmed they now got one grey 51kW in the holding yards now as the boat has landed, asking me to pay a deposit to secure it.

In general I think the dealers here still dont know much about the MG4, they are still too busy selling cheap ICEs like the 3 and 5.

On another note, have you guys had any luck negotiating a better price than the website? Did the dealers throw in extras likes mats and window tint?
Yes that seems to align to my experience. One dealer here on the west coast said 6 months before they have stock. Another who I did the deal with asked what colour and spec I wanted. When I said essence 77 kWh in Grey he looked it up and said yep that's on a ship and they should have it near end Sept. He also had a black, a white an orange and some others but not essence or not 77 kWh. What was handy is he showed me the status and the ship it was on so I could track it myself. :)
I did haggle a little but also was doing mine as a lease via sal sacrifice. Incl mats but I added at a discounted total price (V2L plug, tow pack as I need to use a bike rack and also added the 11 kW home charger). I have just checked and it appears to have arrived as per schedule in Singapore this morning. I am keen to see where its next destination is when it departs and I am hoping its going to be Perth.... and not doing a long sail to east coast first :(

I can’t get sweet FA on timeframes from the Hobart dealership. But they seem to all be children. Saw the orange one in the flesh. It’s not metallic but a flat orange. TBH I’m thinking of going with plain white now.

IMG_4598.jpeg

Yep, had a good look around the dealership and can confirm all the colour options are flat regardless of the model, not metallic like it says on the MG Aus website. Very misleading. Maybe they thought they were getting metallic but instead got flat ones?

ahh ok well thats a worry... I did see the confusion with the orange, UK saying flat and Aust saying metallic but not seen the orange in aust. I have ordered the grey and again never seen it in real life.. Please tell me its metallic as I have had the dealer initially say it was flat and then say its metallic... If its not metallic then I dont want it and I will need to ring them asap.

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel