ahh ok well thats a worry... I did see the confusion with the orange, UK saying flat and Aust saying metallic but not seen the orange in aust. I have ordered the grey and again neve seen it in real life.. Please tell me its metallic as I have had the dealer initially say it was flat and then say its metallic... If its not metallic then I dont want it and I will need to ring them asap.

Best if you call the dealer to double confirm.

Edit: Ludicrous Feed did a test drive of a grey 51. He did mention it's a pre-release model from the UK, so not sure if it's different to the ones for sale in Aus.

Last edited:
Best if you call the dealer to double confirm.

Edit: Ludicrous Feed did a test drive of a grey 51. He did mention it's a pre-release model from the UK, so not sure if it's different to the ones for sale in Aus.

Ta but still not 100% clear if metallic ... Do you think it looks metallic. There was someone on here who I think has seen one and would be nice if they could confirm please

Yes fully refundable and start all over again with limited stock on a ship ;).
The purchase of sale doc does say" Camden Grey metallic"

Last edited:
Ta but still not 100% clear if metallic ... Do you think it looks metallic. There was someone on here who I think has seen one and would be nice if they could confirm please
It’s absolutely not metallic. Flat as they come.
I’m changing my order as well. It looks too much like a taxi for my liking. Seriously it’s Prius Taxi orange.

The photo I took is pretty close to its actual colour.

Yep, had a good look around the dealership and can confirm all the colour options are flat regardless of the model, not metallic like it says on the MG Aus website. Very misleading. Maybe they thought they were getting metallic but instead got flat ones?
I’m pretty sure the Camden Grey we test drove was metallic. It looks quite good. Although its shape presents a bit differently to the others, being closer to the colour of the black plastic trim at the bottom.

I’m torn between white and grey now…

Here’s the grey as a screen crop.

Definitely metallic.

Attachments

• IMG_4600.png
    IMG_4600.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 97
It’s absolutely not metallic. Flat as they come.
I’m changing my order as well. It looks too much like a taxi for my liking. Seriously it’s Prius Taxi orange.

The photo I took is pretty close to its actual colour.
ok so I have rung every dealer here. Hopefully one of them will have a grey in stock this week that is sold but I can view it. Pretty much all of the dealers said that yes the website could use better wording to indicate that the colours are "premium" hence the additional cost and that the word metallic in its strictest sense applies to the Black, the grey, the silver. Orange, white and blue are flat.

Here’s the grey as a screen crop.

Definitely metallic.
Yay thanks and puts my mind at ease.

These are the colors for the Australian mg4's as per MG Australia's pdf -

For the Excite 51 & Excite 64 models -

Dover White WSB
Diamond Red Metallic RSJ
Sterling Silver Metallic SSA
Brixton Blue Metallic JAY
Camden Grey Metallic PAG
Volcano Orange Metallic NFZ
Black Pearl Metallic PBC

For the Essence 64 & long Range models -

Dover White Body Pearlescent Black top
WSB/PBC  

Diamond Red Metallic Body Pearlescent
Black top RSJ/PBC

Sterling Silver Metallic Body Pearlescent
black top SSA/PBC

Brixton Blue Metallic Body Pearlescent black
top JAY/PBC

Camden Grey Body Pearlescent black top
PAG/PBC

Volcano Orange Body Pearlescent black top
NFZ/PBC

These are the colors for the Australian mg4's as per MG Australia's pdf -

For the Excite 51 & Excite 64 models -

Dover White WSB
Diamond Red Metallic RSJ
Sterling Silver Metallic SSA
Brixton Blue Metallic JAY
Camden Grey Metallic PAG
Volcano Orange Metallic NFZ
Black Pearl Metallic PBC

For the Essence 64 & long Range models -

Dover White Body Pearlescent Black top
WSB/PBC  

Diamond Red Metallic Body Pearlescent
Black top RSJ/PBC

Sterling Silver Metallic Body Pearlescent
black top SSA/PBC

Brixton Blue Metallic Body Pearlescent black
top JAY/PBC

Camden Grey Body Pearlescent black top
PAG/PBC

Volcano Orange Body Pearlescent black top
NFZ/PBC

Thanks Bazza, however I think the usage of the word metallic in the MG4 info is incorrect as mentioned by a few posts who have seen the actual cars.. I posted a bit earlier with info from dealers here on the West coast of Aust re which are flat and which are metallic.

Last edited:
…aaaand white it is. Missus doesn’t like grey. Too close to the colour of the road.
$700 cheaper too.

I could always get a black vinyl wrap for the roof.

But probably won’t bother.

…aaaand white it is. Missus doesn’t like grey. Too close to the colour of the road.
$700 cheaper too.

I could always get a black vinyl wrap for the roof.

But probably won’t bother.
And the missus is always right :).. White blends in with the snow which is a real issue for us here on the West coast ;)

I picked up my White Excite 51 today. Fantastic!
I had originally order the Camden Grey but this one was available sooner (I saw a Silver one today in the flesh and that is probably my favourite but too late now).
The dealer said that there's quite a few Essence 64s arrived but the rest of the 51s are coming slower.

I picked up my White Excite 51 today. Fantastic!
I had originally order the Camden Grey but this one was available sooner (I saw a Silver one today in the flesh and that is probably my favourite but too late now).
The dealer said that there's quite a few Essence 64s arrived but the rest of the 51s are coming slower.
@ChrisR, I will let you know when my grey arrives :). I haven't heard of any long range 77's in Aust as yet so mine will be one of the few I suspect when it gets here. Enjoy yours and love to hear feedback on whatever is of interest. Particularly real world range in our climate, anything funky with the software, likes and dislikes, things to keep an eye out for during handover and any aftermarket add ons (screen covers etc)

@ChrisR, I will let you know when my grey arrives :). I haven't heard of any long range 77's in Aust as yet so mine will be one of the few I suspect when it gets here. Enjoy yours and love to hear feedback on whatever is of interest. Particularly real world range in our climate, anything funky with the software, likes and dislikes, things to keep an eye out for during handover and any aftermarket add ons (screen covers etc)
Got a call from the dealer this afternoon. The delivery they were expecting Oct - Nov arrived today. 77 kWh white. Predelivery should take 2 weeks. Expect to pick it up week of 25 Sept.

Last edited by a moderator:
I put down a deposit for a 51 today in Sydney, they put a delivery date of late Sep but seems they're not too sure when it'll actually be delivered (said it's in the country but has to go through customs etc.)
As for deals, I got the impression since there's demand and not a lot of stock I'd be lucky to get them to throw in the 22kw fast charging cable ($399 from them, cheaper elsewhere) - but they were happy to give me that, maybe I should have asked for more!

It wouldn’t surprise me if for many people (like myself) this is not only their first EV but first new car. The technology and price trajectories are such that it doesn’t make a lot of sense to buy a second hand EV.

I would definitely be interested to hear when people ordered vs when they got delivery of their 51's as I'm thinking about putting an order in next week. Also if any particular colours have better availability / shorter delivery times than others.

Out of interest, has anyone else noticed that the Excite 51 is the only model that doesn't have one pedal driving? Excite 64 and all the Essense models get it, but the 51 misses out. I'm a bit sad about that as after driving a Tesla model 3 I've come to really like one pedal driving.

Not sure if it's being withheld as a feature differentiator or if something about the charging properties of the LFP battery in the 51 makes it harder to implement (perhaps less regen?)

I would definitely be interested to hear when people ordered vs when they got delivery of their 51's as I'm thinking about putting an order in next week. Also if any particular colours have better availability / shorter delivery times than others.

Out of interest, has anyone else noticed that the Excite 51 is the only model that doesn't have one pedal driving? Excite 64 and all the Essense models get it, but the 51 misses out. I'm a bit sad about that as after driving a Tesla model 3 I've come to really like one pedal driving.

Not sure if it's being withheld as a feature differentiator or if something about the charging properties of the LFP battery in the 51 makes it harder to implement (perhaps less regen?)
Yeh that is interesting and you may be correct in the battery being the reason.

As for order vs delivery times, others experiences will unfortunately be irrelevant from what I have seen so far. Basically it appears that every dealership operates independently. One dealer in Perth estimated a 6 month wait, another had stock arriving of certain colours and spec level and another just happened to have the exact colour and model I wanted that was already on a ship enroute to WA. Each places their own orders I think based on what they think will be in demand and what they can afford to hold as stock. I would test drive whoever has the ones you are interested and then choose what you want and then ring around and see which dealer either has stock or has an eta for that particular colour and spec level :). Good luck.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 519 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back