Hi all. Not sure if there are any aussies here but I guess I'll try.

So the MG4 EV just began selling in Australia 2 weeks ago. Took one for a test drive yesterday and really liked it. Looking to get the base model 51kW. Do we know if this batch is identical to the ones UK/EU got last year or they have made some improvements?

After doing some research, the issues that I am mostly concerned about are:
  1. Some had deformed undertray beneath the rear motor. The ytuber said it is defect and covered under warranty. Can anyone in Aus with MG4 had a look at this and can confirm it has been addressed?
  2. Jerky and potentially dangerous lane keeping assistance (LKA) that forced most users to turn it off. Has a patch rolled out that improved LKA or allowed you to turn it off permanently?
Any other feedback and people's thoughts are appreciated.
FYI, a family from Aus visited my wife's craft business last week, when he noticed Goth Leo, our SE LR. He was that interested and well informed I offered to get the key fob to open up for him to look around. He thoroughly enjoyed it, and as his wife also bought loads of knitting yarn, it was a win all around.

True not a true frunk, there are plastic molded fittings available now that fit in the front area albeit limited space that can be used to store charge cables rather than have them in the rear area of the car. That way it's at least usable for something..
Where do you source such things Derek please? Thanks

Just search this board/Accessories board for Frunk and/or Froot. There are other threads already discussing this, including links to available options. :)

Collected my 77 kHw Essence from Ringwood MG today. The guess meter started at 575km?? My impressions on the 120km home trip was that it is quieter and has more oomph than the 64 kWh. Exceeded my expectations. I'm a happy little camper.
MG4Collecting2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Collected my 77kw Essence from Ringwood MG today. The guess meter started at 575km?? My impressions on the 120km home trip was that it is quieter and has more oomph than the 64kw. Exceeded my expectations. I'm a happy little camper.
View attachment 20405
Great news. I would be interested if you noticed any vibration at 100kph?

Hi all

I'm a new forum member and MG4 owner living mid-north NSW. I have the Essence 64 in Camden metallic grey.

Two days in and absorbing a lot of info on the car and its quirks. Did a decent test drive yesterday (I'm in a rural area so country roads galore) and it highlighted a few things for me.

Today I test out the supplied slow charger. I have solar PV at home and an EVSE on order which I will initially test using with Charge HQ to match charge rate with our excess solar capacity.

IMG_0320 copy.png

Last edited:
Hi all

I'm a new forum member and MG4 owner living mid-north NSW. I have the Essence 64 in Camden metallic grey.

Two days in and absorbing a lot of info on the car and its quirks. Did a decent test drive yesterday (I'm in a rural area so country roads galore) and it highlighted a few things for me.

Today I test out the supplied slow charger. I have solar PV at home and an EVSE on order which I will initially test using with Charge HQ to match charge rate with our excess solar capacity.

View attachment 20449
That looks sweet as!

So today's learning exercise was using the granny charger. That might seem trivial but it took about half an hour for me to get it to work. I thought it would be a simple plug 'n' play.

Couple of things - I think the battery health charge limit was set at 50% or less so I changed that to 80% which seems to be the recommended level. My car was at 54% SOC after yesterday's drive.

Even then I still couldn't get it to charge.

The sequence which worked was I needed to close all doors and the charge port flap, lock the car, then unlock with the fob, open the charge port flap and connect the AC charger. Then it started charging. Any other combination or sequence of plugging in and it would do nothing.

Have the EVSE circuit on a monitoring system (IoTaWatt) so I'll be tracking how much energy we use to charge at home. I have a combination grid and off-grid power system at home. Plan is to minimise any grid imports for charging.

Screen Shot 2023-09-30 at 8.55.21 am.png

The car app only reports charge rate to two significant digits so there is a bit of error with the conversion efficiency. It's reporting charging at 1.5 kW while I am drawing 1.7 kW from our AC supply. 88% efficiency give or take.

225B994A-1960-4A0A-BCC6-42003354B638.png

That's strange. I took my pride and joy home and plugged in the granny charger and it worked perfectly, first time out of the box.

Until the next morning, when I had no idea how to unplug it from the now fully-charged car. I phoned the dealer. "Unlock your car," was the bored and pitying response.

I get three significant figures on my app. I think it's an Android/iPhone thing? My car usually charges at 1.87 kW.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get three significant figures on my app. I think it's an Android/iPhone thing? My car usually charges at 1.87 Kw.
Interesting. Which app are you seeing that on?

Mine is now showing a slight increase in the charge rate from earlier. 1.6 kW on the app and my home AC monitoring 1.73 kW, so that's now ~92% efficiency.

I set a charge schedule from the phone app, got a success message so with any luck it will stop charging at 3pm.

I guess the app here is a little different.

Anyway, the scheduled charge did not work - the car kept charging past the scheduled finish time. I was however able to use the app to end the charging remotely.

I've left it all connected so I'll find out if the schedule kicks in later this morning.

A guy on whirlpool forums says his 51 doesn't have OPD and his versions are...
Those sound like versions for the infotainment system only. One Pedal Driving would be the motor control or perhaps EV ECU, I'm a bit rusty, and I only know the ZS EV. There are about 22 firmwares in the ZS EV (excluding infotainment); there is an unofficial Thai app to list them. I don't think it would work on the MG4 but it might at least do the main ECU that implements OPD (or not).

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 92 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back