MG4 Last decision

Tarek

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
Hey fellow forum members,

I'm excited to join the MG community and have finally made up my mind to buy the MG4. I even have the quotation in my hand! However, after spending hours reading through numerous threads and discussions, I've started to have some cold feet.

Recently, my local dealer surprised me with some interesting offers on two other EV models: the Renault Megane EV and the Kona EV. They're offering just 15-20% extra on the price of these vehicles. Now, I'm feeling confused all over again and don't want to go through the entire research process once more.

Since this is my first EV purchase after selling my ICE vehicle four months ago, I really value the insights and experiences of those who have thoroughly tried these vehicles or conducted in-depth research. Could anyone who has hands-on experience with the MG4, Renault Megane EV, or Kona EV provide some advice on my decision?

I'm specifically looking for feedback on factors like reliability, performance, driving experience, charging infrastructure, and any other considerations that might help me make an informed choice. Your input would be immensely appreciated as I navigate this exciting transition into the world of EVs.

Thank you all in advance for your valuable assistance!

I have to agree - I couldnt believe that (unlike my Mk1 ZS EV) the MG4 doesnt remember my phone and connect automatically. There are times when I simply dont want to cable connect thro Android Auto. I've taken to wearing a bluetooth bone conducting headset to make sure I can receive calls.
Apparently its something to do with the MG4 broadcasting a different Bluetooth mac identifier each time the car is restarted. The iPhone can't latch on as what it paired to the previous time is no longer being broadcasted.

I've had the exact same thing happen and thought they weren't replying. It took me a little while to realise that my phone was connected to my car. I ended up standing at the charger talking very loudly to my car as I wasn't sure whether the phone's microphone would still be working!

The first time this happened to me, I think the helpline girl was a bit bemused but she coped admirably. I had to read stuff off the charger screen to her, in bright low evening sunshine, which was impossible under the circumstances. But my friend who was with me went out and peered at the screen and shouted the answers back!

The second time I twigged more quickly and the helpline guy did a double take and caught up.

there are times where I make site visits for work and so getting in and out of the car to use the cable and siri isn't the most practical.
That's why I have a magnetic connector fitted to my phone, and a magnetic cable positioned ready on the shelf. All I need to do is put the phone onto the shelf and the cable pretty much connects itself. :)

1688463703207.png
1688463718527.png

You will find that every car forum has mostly negative comments as its the only place where people can have a good moan but the points made can be helpful, of all the MG4 sold it's only a tiny percentage that have major issues,its a new model so you have to expect minor niggles,as I stated every car forum has negative comments so I would not worry Tarek

This is true, but it needs context.
I see moaning on the Cupra forum, but the gripes are truly petty compared with this forum.

This is true, but it needs context.
I see moaning on the Cupra forum, but the gripes are truly petty compared with this forum.
I'm a member of multiple car forums and I would probably say that the MG4 specifically appears to have the most issues compared to others from minor to quite a few major ones including car rejections from different people. So much so, this would put me off personally from wanting to purchase one no matter how value for money the car is perceived to be.

I don't and won't "put up with" the multiple software issues just because it's a new car which clearly hasn't been consumer tested correctly. This would also apply to the ID3 & Cupra Born, I'm not just picking on the MG4 here.

I'm 3 years in on the ZS EV and 2 weeks in on the MG4. I think both are excellent cars. I've had intermittent but minor issues that were easily resolved. In 45 years of driving I've learned that all cars have issues. MG seems well designed and made to me. My worst ever (25 years ago) experience was with 2 new BMWs. All of the criticisms on this forum applied there (poor dealer response, BMW denying issues that later became well known).

I'm a member of multiple car forums and I would probably say that the MG4 specifically appears to have the most issues compared to others from minor to quite a few major ones including car rejections from different people. So much so, this would put me off personally from wanting to purchase one no matter how value for money the car is perceived to be.

I don't and won't "put up with" the multiple software issues just because it's a new car which clearly hasn't been consumer tested correctly. This would also apply to the ID3 & Cupra Born, I'm not just picking on the MG4 here.

I think you’re on a hiding to nothing then, TBH.
No matter what brand you go for, you’re going to find software gripes.
I’m lucky my Born is on the fabled version 3.1 software, owners with cars yet to be updated to this suffer a lot more than me.
But I still get little occurrences that mean I have to reboot the screen from time to time.
Nothing at all that makes me regret buying the car though.

Last edited:
my car is almost 18 years old, finally changing it for an MG4. Made a test drive, watched some reviews, looked at my wallet etc. Reading various forums seem that modern cars have lot of software that need to be updated. The idea to call every few weeks my local dealer to beg for an update or ask if new available was a turnoff for me especially because MG here isn't, like in other countries, a very well known brand and the few multi-brand dealers who sell it understandably havent worked a lot with MGs cars.
Some months ago I found out that in the company where I work some colleagues have lot of experience on MGs, official tools for diagnosis/updates and two MG4 to play around with, so I can just bribe the lads in the garage with coffee and get some help :)

Long story short, I personally think that due to the increasing complexity and fast evolution of newer cars having an helpful and competent dealer/garage is a deal breaker and it would change night to day you experience as a owner.

my car is almost 18 years old, finally changing it for an MG4. Made a test drive, watched some reviews, looked at my wallet etc. Reading various forums seem that modern cars have lot of software that need to be updated. The idea to call every few weeks my local dealer to beg for an update or ask if new available was a turnoff for me especially because MG here isn't, like in other countries, a very well known brand and the few multi-brand dealers who sell it understandably havent worked a lot with MGs cars.
Some months ago I found out that in the company where I work some colleagues have lot of experience on MGs, official tools for diagnosis/updates and two MG4 to play around with, so I can just bribe the lads in the garage with coffee and get some help :)

Long story short, I personally think that due to the increasing complexity and fast evolution of newer cars having an helpful and competent dealer/garage is a deal breaker and it would change night to day you experience as a owner.

Fair point, not having over the air (OTA) updates is a big minus point for MG.
I’ve had a couple of OTA updates on my car, very easy.

I agree completely - my older EV can only be updated at the dealers. My MG4 has a built in and free SIM card so software updates are easy (I think)

Fair point, not having over the air (OTA) updates is a big minus point for MG.
I’ve had a couple of OTA updates on my car, very easy.
The more recent MGs do over the air updates!

Apparently its something to do with the MG4 broadcasting a different Bluetooth mac identifier each time the car is restarted. The iPhone can't latch on as what it paired to the previous time is no longer being broadcasted.
it does what?

Does anybody know why and is there a way to stop that happening?

That aside I've only had 2-3 times the car would not connect automaticly in a month and a bit ownership.

74% of these reviewers don't think MG are good cars. If the MG4 was about 15k I would say it was a good buy and in the same division as Dacia's. At 26k, its way over-priced.

We seem to being ripped off at every turn these days, but the ridiculous cost of cars is the biggest of them all. Manufacturers are using the PCP plans as a way of increasing the prices, because who in their right mind would pay 26k for an MG4 with cash....Well, OK, I did, but never, ever again.

I stumped up the cash for mine too as others in the market were even more expensive and offered little or no more. But whilst I think the car is a good car (but with failings), the dealership and company support is not. That makes the package for me overall not so good.

Right now, my car is at the dealers with them looking at the warped under tray, noisy air con and a software update. I walked into the MG Service & Parts area, and was met by the sales lady who told me I had to go to Volvo next door as they can't warrant staffing their service & spares department right now !. Seven months after ordering my car and many others they have sold no doubt.

I am yet to hear back from Volvo !!.... that phone call will be a key one for me.

But right now, would I ever buy a new MG ever again given the hindsight I have?..... unless there is a radical change in customer care.... NO

I haven't been back to my dealer at all, so I can't comment. The undertray will have to be tackled soon though. If I hadn't seen the undertray, the only issues I'd have are relatively minor niggles, most with work-rounds.

I stumped up the cash for mine too as others in the market were even more expensive and offered little or no more. But whilst I think the car is a good car (but with failings), the dealership and company support is not. That makes the package for me overall not so good.

Right now, my car is at the dealers with them looking at the warped under tray, noisy air con and a software update. I walked into the MG Service & Parts area, and was met by the sales lady who told me I had to go to Volvo next door as they can't warrant staffing their service & spares department right now !. Seven months after ordering my car and many others they have sold no doubt.

I am yet to hear back from Volvo !!.... that phone call will be a key one for me.

But right now, would I ever buy a new MG ever again given the hindsight I have?..... unless there is a radical change in customer care.... NO
Pretty much MG in a nutshell, overall a decent enough, value package let down by some dealers (not all) and poor MG customer service

I agree about the dealers. If MG are serious about the image of their brand they need to vet the dealers and give them proper training and trust their expertese without referring to China for every minor problem.
When I rang my dealer up about the possibility of upgrading the infotainment software (I decided against it in the end as I didn't want to swap one minor glitch for another) I was immediately offered a courtesy car without being asked and none of this paying for diagnostics which some dealers try on.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 500 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back