MG4 likes and dislikes We agree

Would something like this help?View attachment 12576

Alan
Thank you Alan, arrived today just what is needed got 2 for £4.29 inc p&p just placed on order for 4 more 2 for the rear seats on the MG4 and 2 for the rear in the MG5 the fronts in that are fine, no need for one in the middle seat position I don’t see us ever having 3 in the back really and if we did just getting them in first and they should be OK
Thank you
Les
457BD2EB-5130-4544-812A-38B4C08E90C6.png

Likes - The way the car drives, you really can tell it’s RWD, it has really good traction - my golf has decent tyres but spins them up in the slightest bit of rain.

suspension is dare I say it “perfect” ( very comfortable, handles pot holes well without being wallowy )

the overall compact size but having adequate space inside, the price.

Dislikes - I’m a confident driver but I don’t feel comfortable reversing the car compared to pretty much all other cars I’ve owned ( this it’s the small window, no rear wiper, large C pillars - a reversing camera would help massively )

the lack of a rear interior light - literally no excuse for this, such a cheap item to add at the factory, the lack of a light makes it very difficult loading my child into her car seat and looking around for her items. It doesn’t help that the interior is completely black on our UK models.

Seats - I find them okay overall, but the fact they came with “wrinkles” from the factory is poor and I have no real confidence that they will last well, the ones out of the MG5 looks Mike’s better.

The manufacture MG - I’ve got no real confidence with aftersales support, I feel if I wanted / needed a part for my MG4 that I would be screwed and I’m still amazed about the whole gearbox leak situation - how did such a clearly faulty design get past testing stage……. My Golf by comparison I managed to buy a brand new door and get it delivered next day form the dealer.

I like the car, but feel I couldn’t wholeheartedly recommend it to friends / family. If there was a European competitor for only a few grand more then I would go with them just for peace of mind.

I like the car, but feel I couldn’t wholeheartedly recommend it to friends / family.

That's exactly how I feel.

If there was a European competitor for only a few grand more then I would go with them just for peace of mind.

Ditto, but currently there's not - the nearest being the ID.3 twins which are about £4k more and similarly compromised. Mind you, if MG raise their prices that could all change.

Ditto, but currently there's not - the nearest being the ID.3 twins which are about £4k more and similarly compromised. Mind you, if MG raise their prices that could all change.
That's why I've decided not to cancel my order. If I decide that it's not for me after a few months with MG raising their prices and short supply I probably get my money back if not a little bit more.

I saw a post in the facebook group about prices going up on December 1st but it's not been mentioned in here? You'd think if it was happening then more people would be talking about it so I have my doubts....

Last edited:
I saw a post in the facebook group about prices going up on December 1st but it's not been mentioned in here? You'd think if it was happening then more people would be talking about it so I have my doubts....
There's at least one dealer on AutoTrader saying "Beat January's price rise", but I wouldn't be surprised if they have no idea if/when a price rise is coming and they just want to scare people into ordering.

Not far off. Delivers 7kw, allowing for losses mid 6's and then temp may have an effect as well. I would expect over 6 but chargers do vary so nothing to worry about unless its consistently low going forward

The manufacture MG - I’ve got no real confidence with aftersales support, I feel if I wanted / needed a part for my MG4 that I would be screwed and I’m still amazed about the whole gearbox leak situation - how did such a clearly faulty design get past testing stage……. My Golf by comparison I managed to buy a brand new door and get it delivered next day form the dealer.

I like the car, but feel I couldn’t wholeheartedly recommend it to friends / family. If there was a European competitor for only a few grand more then I would go with them just for peace of mind.

Sounds a bit brand snobbering. Dont think reputation from ICE car brands applies to the EV(e.g I feel ID3 is crap). There isnt any particular EV brand is significant better than the rest.

I have no inside knowledge. Past performance for MG is to increase prices after introducing new models, but no doubt the current market is different to the recent past.

Not far off. Delivers 7kw, allowing for losses mid 6's and then temp may have an effect as well. I would expect over 6 but chargers do vary so nothing to worry about unless its consistently low going forward

The figure shown is not the net of losses delivered to the battery, but the gross taken by the car figure. Assuming that you haven't got a dodgy lead it implies that the charge point is throttled and not offering the "full" 32A for some reason best known to Tesco/PodPoint. Instead you are getting only 25A. You really need to use a charge point that's not restricted and see if you can get the full 32A.
It would help if MG showed both current and voltage....

The figure shown is not the net of losses delivered to the battery, but the gross taken by the car figure. Assuming that you haven't got a dodgy lead it implies that the charge point is throttled and not offering the "full" 32A for some reason best known to Tesco/PodPoint. Instead you are getting only 25A. You really need to use a charge point that's not restricted and see if you can get the full 32A.
It would help if MG showed both current and voltage....
Bugeyed, do you know where it is measured. I would expect it to be measured by bms at delivery point hence convertor losses included but that assumption sounds wrong? I have always assumed 7kw input with losses at the convertor reducing DC power provided to the battery. I read this last year hence my assumption but everyday is a school day....Onboard chargers in EV's are typically only around 80-90% efficient.

Last edited:
The reading on my SR matched the reading on my charge point within 0.1 kW and my smart meter (allowing for my house's background usage) so I assumed that it was inverter in. But I have no proof that is the intention nor where the reading actually was.
I played with lowering the charge rate in the car and there was no indication of a loss in efficiency that you'd expect. Certainly efficiency in terms of charge gained was below the charge shown multiplied by time, but that would be expected whether measured as AC or DC.

Count yourselves lucky.
When I first got my Zoe, the app would always give the wrong available range, because the car was reporting the range in miles, but the app thought it was seeing km, and dividing by 1.6 when it didn't need to.
That took months to get fixed!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel