MG4 or Tesla Model 3

I don’t see the ‘French car‘ on your list….
I have decided that even though you are all my favourites, especially you cocijo, still not you tsedge!!

That your choice in vehicle shows a distinct lack of class , flair, social standing! it's just lacking a little jes ne sais quoi!

Because of this I am no longer going to bestow my knowledge and experience upon you all until you prove yourselves more worthy of my words and teachings😇

I have decided that even though you are all my favourites, especially you cocijo, still not you tsedge!!

That your choice in vehicle shows a distinct lack of class , flair, social standing! it's just lacking a little jes ne sais quoi!

Because of this I am no longer going to bestow my knowledge and experience upon you all until you prove yourselves more worthy of my words and teachings😇
Oh go on! Please tell us what each of the 10 indicator-like switches do.

Oh go on! Please tell us what each of the 10 indicator-like switches do.
It is actually 12 and where MG cut back to save money (basically everywhere😉) Renault like to give you more. They are actually thinking of following Toyota's idea and spacing them out over both sides.

Attachments

• 1_iaDW3GdQcyGIjxI6hOCw-g.jpg
    1_iaDW3GdQcyGIjxI6hOCw-g.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 87
I agree with siteguru above but knowing what I know now the MG 4 is a great car to drive but it’s not in the same league as the Tesla.

The 4 trophy is not worth the money and I’m glad I didn’t try to push my wife in to buying that but the SESR or LR they are good value but Tesla as you say the charging network and zero need for servicing so they say, so your warranty is no problem because they say there’s no need for servicing for a few years example my son had a model X for over 3years no servicing done at all but did have several repairs in that time without any question about servicing, now with our MGs I’m not sure you would get a warranty claim without an issue if the car had not been serviced any of the Teslas are a better car than MG any day of the week IMHO
Les
Agree Les … love my ZS but my new Tesla Y is different league … it’s the supercharges that makes it do easy … no more messing about with rubbish like BP pulse

So for around the same price as MG4 Trophy I could but a reasonably low mileage long range Tesla Model 3.

The advantage of the Tesla would be the longer range and the access to the Tesla suoercharger network, which is currently one of the cheaper charging options away from home.

Anyone have any plus sides that may sway me towards the MG4?
We have both M3 & MG4. I prefer M3 and would always take it on long journeys because of the tech and Supercharging. The MG4 has better boot capacity and my wife chooses it over the Tesla because she says it’s easier to park. Guess you should go with what you like but once you have got used to the Tesla superchargers with a Tesla you will get so frustrated with ALL others forms of on the road charging. You just plug in that’s it. The car is automatically recognised and just starts charging. I could not go back to the frustration of using others infrastructure until it at least matches what Tesla is doing today. As for BP & Shell owning charging infrastructures 😡😡😡💩. So in a nutshell if you are wanting to charge away from home more than just now and again the Tesla because of the infrastructure alone. Good luck deciding

The only advantage of the MG4 over the model 3 is the hatchback and of course if you are looking at NEW then price.
Now if as ChrisVanRock points out above at #46 if you want to compare with the model Y then it’s price and only price.
Is it worth the extra 100% in my book.
Les

We have both M3 & MG4. I prefer M3 and would always take it on long journeys because of the tech and Supercharging. The MG4 has better boot capacity and my wife chooses it over the Tesla because she says it’s easier to park. Guess you should go with what you like but once you have got used to the Tesla superchargers with a Tesla you will get so frustrated with ALL others forms of on the road charging. You just plug in that’s it. The car is automatically recognised and just starts charging. I could not go back to the frustration of using others infrastructure until it at least matches what Tesla is doing today. As for BP & Shell owning charging infrastructures 😡😡😡💩. So in a nutshell if you are wanting to charge away from home more than just now and again the Tesla because of the infrastructure alone. Good luck deciding
M3 does have a bigger boot and the frunk, although the 4 has the more practical opening but it is smaller

So I almost forgot there is quite a bad issue with the Tesla Model 3 in the winter months so if your going for one watch this video or two small parts of it first

Part 1 is 01:58 minutes into it for O:50 seconds
Part 2 is 11:00 minutes into it for around 02:00 minutes
Les

So for around the same price as MG4 Trophy I could but a reasonably low mileage long range Tesla Model 3.

The advantage of the Tesla would be the longer range and the access to the Tesla suoercharger network, which is currently one of the cheaper charging options away from home.

Wow that's a good deal for Tesla M3. Here in Aust MG4 pricing just announced, around A$48k, and dealers have started taking orders.

2nd hand STANDARD range+ M3 are still around A$55k here so personally I would be going for M3 LR in your neck of the woods if it suits your needs. Plus the initial depreciation is already gone.

Wow that's a good deal for Tesla M3. Here in Aust MG4 pricing just announced, around A$48k, and dealers have started taking orders.

2nd hand STANDARD range+ M3 are still around A$55k here so personally I would be going for M3 LR in your neck of the woods if it suits your needs. Plus the initial depreciation is already gone.
Yeh your dead right there on the depreciation side of things mate as I have discovered recently, as when Tesla dropped the prices by a fair clump a month or so back in the UK, I was tempted to trade one of our MGs the 4 or the 5 the 4 has 2500 miles on it and the 5 had 1800 miles facelift model so tried 4 different buyers on the MG5 best offer I got was £7800 below what I paid for it less than 3 months old what and the worse was all but £10000 below only bothered with quote one on the MG4 as that’s my wife’s car but even that was almost £5000 less than we paid.
in the last few months the levels of depreciation on used vehicles especially EVs apparently has rocketed.
My son had a Tesla Model X 3.5 yrs old had it from new 4/5 weeks before the price cut by Tesla he got an offer for it against a new model Y then the price drop came so he went back and his model X had now lost £6.500 more .
But he went with it because at that time Tesla were doing finance at 3.4% it’s double that now I think.
The 2nd hand car market as been crazy in the UK for around the last 2yrs or so about 5 months back I sold my first MG5 SR for almost £3000 more than I paid for it with 18000 miles and 20 months old but now it appears the bubble as burst and trade in prices have dropped like a stone with many dealers not wanting to by 2nd hand EVs at all.

I console myself with the knowledge it is still far cheaper to run our EVs and they are still nice cars to drive, and do what’s is requested of them.
Les

Not in Belgium. One can not compare a low budget EV with a Tesla but If you have a solar home system I certainly would go for the MG4 for its remarkable V2L capabilities.

Today Tesla has lowered the prices significantly in Europe again. In Germany base Model 3 is now 42k EUR, Performance 55k EUR. That's over 500 horsepower for under 50k EUR (after government grant). And the value of the base Model 3 is hard to beat. Only 6k EUR more than an MG4 Trophy/Luxury (36k EUR). Base VW ID.3 is 40k EUR.

So I almost forgot there is quite a bad issue with the Tesla Model 3 in the winter months so if your going for one watch this video or two small parts of it first

Part 1 is 01:58 minutes into it for O:50 seconds
Part 2 is 11:00 minutes into it for around 02:00 minutes
Les

Just brush the snow off before opening the boot! I’ve had an issue with door handles freezing and being difficult to open - needed a sharp hit with the heel of your fist.

Today Tesla has lowered the prices significantly in Europe again. In Germany base Model 3 is now 42k EUR, Performance 55k EUR. That's over 500 horsepower for under 50k EUR (after government grant). And the value of the base Model 3 is hard to beat. Only 6k EUR more than an MG4 Trophy/Luxury (36k EUR). Base VW ID.3 is 40k EUR.
Is that the end of VW sales then?

Are there discounts available on models like in the UK? This is creating a much better environment where discounts will have to prevail.

We tried an MG4 and then tried a Tesla Model 3. We bought the Tesla. It's a lot more money, but if you can afford the capital outlay, what really matters is the depreciation. Time will tell what happens in future, but Teslas have been holding their value well. The Tesla is faster, more efficient, has more range, better tech, more features, is fabulous to drive, has more carrying capacity, is better looking (well, I think so), has a much better interior - the drab interior of the MG4 is real let down, and has access to the brilliant supercharger network. The only possible plus of the MG4 is that it might have a better ride, though I think the latest M3s have a fine ride/handling balance. Also, the M3 is iconic!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 499 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back