MG4 Power Limiting

BrownChair

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I recently picked up a MG4. While driving the car on motorway, I've found a good few times now that the car is limiting the power for acceleration. Eg: If I'm trying to speed up to overtake, the car simply won't accelerate even when I have the accelerator fully pressed down. The battery is above 20%, usually in 40-60% range, so its not like I'm low on battery. Even when I set the cruise control, the speed won't pick back up. It'll only pick back up if the car is able to get to the speed within the limited power

Is this a normal thing?

No, and the problem have been noted on a few cars before and there are threads in here about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for pointing to that thread. I will read through the thread, but is the tl:dr that there is a fault in the car and I should bring it return it to the dealer? I just picked up last week

This could be bad. It has had a bad outcome in more than one other case. The sooner you raise it with your dealer the better. If you're still within the period in which you can more or less walk away from the deal, read that thread and seriously think about it. The people who have had cars that do this have gone through serious stress.

First 30 days

Hi @BrownChair , sorry to hear you're having this issue. I'm one of those who has the same thing. I've been through a fair bit of stress, I literally just collected my car last week after the 4th attempt at resolution, this time MG replacing a £5,000 part. I'm actually heading out to test it a bit today as it seems to manifest mostly when the charge is a bit lower (e.g. 20-50%). TBH, it's been a stressful situation, as @Rolfe suggests. It seems that MG doesn't really have a handle on what's causing the problem and, therefore, no recognised solution.

Get it reported to your dealer ASAP, so at least that's covered. I would also seriously consider whether to keep the car to avoid this stressful situation. If there was a recognised resolution, I'd say not to worry so much, though that doesn't seem to be the case.

(It may be better to contribute to the thread linked above, just to consolidate all the information into one place)

Hi @BrownChair , sorry to hear you're having this issue. I'm one of those who has the same thing. I've been through a fair bit of stress, I literally just collected my car last week after the 4th attempt at resolution, this time MG replacing a £5,000 part. I'm actually heading out to test it a bit today as it seems to manifest mostly when the charge is a bit lower (e.g. 20-50%). TBH, it's been a stressful situation, as @Rolfe suggests. It seems that MG doesn't really have a handle on what's causing the problem and, therefore, no recognised solution.

Get it reported to your dealer ASAP, so at least that's covered. I would also seriously consider whether to keep the car to avoid this stressful situation. If there was a recognised resolution, I'd say not to worry so much, though that doesn't seem to be the case.

(It may be better to contribute to the thread linked above, just to consolidate all the information into one place)

Do let us know how you get on. Which £5000 part have they said they've replaced ?

At what sort of speeds are we talking about here, is it at certain speeds or at any speed ?

Ok , I presume that means the inverter in manufacturer bull waffle speak :unsure:

5k sure is a lot for a box of electronics about the size of a laptop :oops:

I'm guessing it accepts data from the accelerator pedal, brake pedal, motor monitor, wheel sensors, etc., does some sophisticated real-time processing, and outputs control signals for the motor.

The good news is that it might cost £5k to buy new, but £4,500 of that will be software licensing, so there'll be a chain of warranties being redeemed, and at the end of it all it'll only cost someone a few hundred in hardware manufacturing.

Most of the cars that have done this have been SRs. I'm not sure if it's all of them though.

My SR was also manufactured in January and I haven't had the slightest hint of this problem.

I've got an SR too, but an early one. Received in October, don't know when it was built.
I've not had this problem at all. The only time when I've felt loss of power is when the wheels slip under heavy acceleration on a slippery surface.

Last edited:
First 30 days

First 30 days is the time period for easy rejection, as you can pretty much reject for anything that could be construed as having been there from the moment the car was made.
This would fall under that, most would agree it’s something that’s amiss from new and not something that has happened under your time with the car.
30-60 days you have to give them one opportunity to repair.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 512 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back