MG4 Power Limiting

the dealer mentioned a software update was made on the car, didn't specify what exactly was updated but I did notice on the MG app that the range estimate was showing something like 280km and after 10-20 minutes, the range estimate dropped to like 160 but with the same battery percent of like 80% after this update was made

Last edited:
the dealer mentioned a software update was made on the car, didn't specify what exactly was updated but I did notice on the MG app that the range estimate was showing something like 280km and after 10-20 minutes, the range estimate dropped to like 160 but with the same battery percent of like 80%
You need to get rid of that car

You totally need to reject that car. It is bad news. It is a lemon. It is a turkey. It is going to give you all the grief in creation if you keep it.

Most MG4's do not do this. If you like the car, then get your money back and buy another one. Just don't keep this one.

the dealer mentioned a software update was made on the car, didn't specify what exactly was updated but I did notice on the MG app that the range estimate was showing something like 280km and after 10-20 minutes, the range estimate dropped to like 160 but with the same battery percent of like 80% after this update was made

So the car has been running as expected since this update was made. I've drove the car quite a bit and multiple times from 100% to less than 10% battery, and have not experienced the power limiting issue.

I've also realised that the range drop which I mentioned before was due to the update or the engineer reseting the 'Accumulated Total' journey stats, which is how GoM is calculated.

After the update, anecdotally feel that the car range is better than before

Not to resurrect an old thread - but I’;m having the same issue, Just noticed this weekend - as first time I had the car (only 2 months) in the motorway. Power getting randomly cut to between 20-24%.

Quite dangerous - and reported as such to the dealer. Will update with their response

Last edited:
Not to resurrect an old thread - but I’;m having the same issue, Just noticed this weekend - as first time I had the car (only 2 months) in the motorway. Power getting randomly cut to between 20-24%.

Quite dangerous - and reported as such to the dealer. Will update with their response
Sorry to hear that, please press your dealer to get it resolved. Good luck.

Above, a couple of members who had the issue reported it was fixed by a software update applied at the end of July. Most people seem to have had a software update to the battery management system about that time, whether or not they were reporting any problem.

Might be worth telling your dealer you're aware of this update and that it seems to resolve this problem. It's possible your car didn't get that update?

Above, a couple of members who had the issue reported it was fixed by a software update applied at the end of July. Most people seem to have had a software update to the battery management system about that time, whether or not they were reporting any problem.

Might be worth telling your dealer you're aware of this update and that it seems to resolve this problem. It's possible your car didn't get that update?
Should have this update applied - car was back with dealer for a few minor niggles in late August

Both @squirrelz and @BrownChair reported having the issue, and neither reported experiencing it recurring after that update, although both have been around - indeed Brownchair is still around. Sometimes dealers don't apply the updates they should, and sometimes they think they have but it hasn't "taken". I'm hopeful it's something like that and it can be fixed in your car too.

I had this issue with my mg4 se last November mg did a BMS update on one of the modules as when I took my car in it had 3 faults on the battery.mine wouldn’t accelerate with full foot down.and kept lagging even though battery was full.i don’t know whether the issue was resolved fully as I rejected my car the next day as the car wouldn’t start and had several other issues but BMS update sounds right for you

I think anyone who had this issue before July was right to get rid of the car and run a mile, given Bowfer's experience. But if it can be fixed by a BMS update, all should be well.

Did you get another MG4 after rejecting that one, then?

Hi guys, sorry to be the party pooper, I've had pretty much every update imaginable, including some expensive hardware changes and my SE SR is no different, literally identical before I originally took it to MG

I've had pretty much every update imaginable,
That's a bold claim. In my MG ZS EV, there are about 22 ECUs each with their own firmware, and that doesn't include the infotainment ones that I can update on my own.

We ZS EV owners are lucky in that we can use an unofficial app to list all our firmware versions, and there are spreadsheets of who has what firmware version and what behaviour differences we have noticed.

Considering how bad MG seem to be at writing, maintaining, fixing, and explaining these firmwares to the dealers, it's been pretty handy.

That's a bold claim. In my MG ZS EV, there are about 22 ECUs each with their own firmware, and that doesn't include the infotainment ones that I can update on my own.

We ZS EV owners are lucky in that we can use an unofficial app to list all our firmware versions, and there are spreadsheets of who has what firmware version and what behaviour differences we have noticed.

Considering how bad MG seem to be at writing, maintaining, fixing, and explaining these firmwares to the dealers, it's been pretty handy.
Can you point me at that app? I'd be curous how hard it would be to do the same for the MG4.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 512 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back