MG4 Power Limiting

I think anyone who had this issue before July was right to get rid of the car and run a mile, given Bowfer's experience. But if it can be fixed by a BMS update, all should be well.

Did you get another MG4 after rejecting that one, then?
No wouldn’t go near a mg ever again after the experience I had. I have put a deposit down on the Kia ev9 due start next year been told loooking at July 2024 which I’m happy to wait.

I do think the mg4 will become a good car eventually they just need to sort out there customer relations/service and the software

Hi guys, sorry to be the party pooper, I've had pretty much every update imaginable, including some expensive hardware changes and my SE SR is no different, literally identical before I originally took it to MG
Mine was exactly the same update after update after update nothing improved. I think it was just their get out excuse to try and drag me out so I didn’t reject. But I did reject In the end as couldn’t take the risk.

What are you actually driving then? Your profile still says MG4.
I will update profile. I am driving a 2006 Vauxhall, drives a treat, until my ev9 arrives.

The knowledge of ex owners is just as welcome as that of current owners.
But how does it add to the evolution of the product when we've moved beyond the issues of that time a user experienced e.g. former issues like breather pipes etc

Also @Mars6394 post #45 wasn't intended to be read with any malice, I sounded it out in my head when writing it in an open tone & intrigue

Had car in with dealer today. BMS firmware upto date - however 'IMCC' firmware was not. So that was updated. Both the garage tech and I have driven the car without experiencing the power limitation issue since the update. Will continue to monitor. Thank you all for your help.

But how does it add to the evolution of the product when we've moved beyond the issues of that time a user experienced e.g. former issues like breather pipes etc

Also @Mars6394 post #45 wasn't intended to be read with any malice, I sounded it out in my head when writing it in an open tone & intrigue
I only pop on now and again as I still like the mg4 apart from the issues I had. I’m still interested to see where the issues I had are resolved and how they were fixed. Also it’s good to get past owners and new owners hints and tips and any ideas on how issue were resolved or dealt with. No offence taken in your post.

I recently picked up a MG4. While driving the car on motorway, I've found a good few times now that the car is limiting the power for acceleration. Eg: If I'm trying to speed up to overtake, the car simply won't accelerate even when I have the accelerator fully pressed down. The battery is above 20%, usually in 40-60% range, so its not like I'm low on battery. Even when I set the cruise control, the speed won't pick back up. It'll only pick back up if the car is able to get to the speed within the limited power

Is this a normal thing?
Hi;
We live in Ireland and after lot of phone calls and emails with dealer, they finally took me in for 2 updates in software that took care of the power limit. I was ready to send car back as it was super unsafe to drive otherwise. So far that update worked. I don't know how to post this, but if you know how to make it more visible, please forward to everyone.
good luck with your dealer

Mine started acting up last week in the same way. At 100% battery there is no problem at all, I accelerate 0-100kmph as it should. But from somewhere around 70% it drops to around 20% power when I'm going faster than 80/85kmph. No problem reaching 80, but after that it's done. Takes like a minute to reach 100.

Mine started acting up last week in the same way. At 100% battery there is no problem at all, I accelerate 0-100kmph as it should. But from somewhere around 70% it drops to around 20% power when I'm going faster than 80/85kmph. No problem reaching 80, but after that it's done. Takes like a minute to reach 100.
Have you had it serviced recently?
My dealer services my car a few weeks ago and were inept enough to kill the rapid charging.
That got fixed a couple days ago but now I have the issue with limited power over 50mph.
Also, no regen braking.

My dealer services my car a few weeks ago and were inept enough to kill the rapid charging.
That got fixed a couple days ago but now I have the issue with limited power over 50mph.
Also, no regen braking.
Nope, started acting up out of nowhere.
Gonna call the dealer asap and see their response.

I've read enough about it now to know this isn't something that's going to fix itself. Really wondering if they know about this issue (and know a fix).

Nope, started acting up out of nowhere.
Gonna call the dealer asap and see their response.

I've read enough about it now to know this isn't something that's going to fix itself. Really wondering if they know about this issue (and know a fix).

I suspect they don't have a handle on it. The dealer I took mine to was decent, tried a lot of things, software and hardware, and each fix they said would be 'the one', though ultimately they never resolved the issue.

Interesting to note it still seems to be mostly the SR cars that are affected.

I suspect they don't have a handle on it. The dealer I took mine to was decent, tried a lot of things, software and hardware, and each fix they said would be 'the one', though ultimately they never resolved the issue.

Interesting to note it still seems to be mostly the SR cars that are affected.
Looked back on a few threads and after a brief, albeit not complete look, it seems to be an sr exclusive issue

Also, no regen braking.
My rapid charging also got killed after a service . Back in on the 18 Dec to try and sort it .

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 512 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back