MG4 Range

I am nowhere near being an eco driver.

I've almost always had some form of warm / quickish car, but on my commute to work for the last 4 days I've been seeing what kind of figures I can get out the car.

On the way to work I travel on 30mph roads, its just under 8 miles so not long a journey.
The first two days the temp was 5C and the last two days it was 9C. Got better as the week went on.

I haven't taken picks of the journeys home at midnight though, motorway, radio and heating blaring, sport mode etc... lol.
How are you getting such good miles per kw? I can never seem to get about 3.8. I do a mixture different journeys and on the last long journey which was 200miles I was getting max 3.8 with cruise control?

I am nowhere near being an eco driver

I haven't taken picks of the journeys home at midnight though, motorway, radio and heating blaring, sport mode etc... lol.
Except in your pictures, you are in ECO……

How are you getting such good miles per kw? I can never seem to get about 3.8. I do a mixture different journeys and on the last long journey which was 200miles I was getting max 3.8 with cruise control?
I’ve not seen anyone get figures like this in the conditions mentioned, OP was in ECO, but even so, to get these figures on a less than 8 mile journey with average speed of 15mph seems odd. Perhaps it is a downhill route, in San Francisco.

I’ve not seen anyone get figures like this in the conditions mentioned, OP was in ECO, but even so, to get these figures on a less than 8 mile journey with average speed of 15mph seems odd. Perhaps it is a downhill route, in San Francisco.
So he only drives one way all the time?
Don't see why people are doubting him. That is what his car is showing. The display is not making it up.

So he only drives one way all the time?

In the example pictures he gave, yes.

Don't see why people are doubting him. That is what his car is showing. The display is not making it up.
I’m not doubting the display, I’m doubting the method of getting the figure shown.

bloody hell, what method? That’s the journey.

I was going to work, 8 miles. It is a flat route, in ECO mode on 30mph roads, no radio, heaters off, radio off, regen level 3, as eco as I could make it and that’s the figures the car gave.

On the way home, midnightish, its about 10 miles as I use the motorway. Sport mode, radio on, heaters on, probably 80-90mph blast. Usually 2.3-2.8 mkwh In these current temperature, between 3 and 9C.

I just went out to the car to get another couple of pictures for you.
One shows my journey home via motorway this afternoon from work (early shift) and the other is the accumulated info since I got the car.

That clarify enough? ;)

My earlier journeys to work with good mkwh was me testing what I could get out the car, i don’t drive that way normally, but I could if I was concerned about getting the best from the car. I prefer driving it as a car and using it as such including its performance. As mentioned in my previous post, i‘ve usually had nippy cars and drive as such. Currently also have a mini cooper S and a Westfield. Previous toys include Jaguar XFR, panda 100hp, 106gti, mr2 turbo etc…

Attachments

• 20230130_153626.jpg
    20230130_153626.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 159
  • 20230130_153605.jpg
    20230130_153605.jpg
    390.8 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
What I’ll try and do is a full ECO drive with a 80% charge to 20%ish as best as I can be arsed to do when I charge it tonight. We’ll see what figures we can get out it. Give me a week or so on this one lol! Might not manage it straight away.

That clarify enough? ;)
Yes, it clarifies that your very high efficiency was achieved under specific conditions which don’t reflect most drivers real world use. That is not a criticism by the way, and it is good that you clarified how you achieved the figures. Thanks.

the tailgate 'spoilers' might look racy, but imo are a misdirected crock. Firstly; as 'spoilers' they are misnamed: spoilers are flow breakers used to create drag and/or dump lift, neither of which function is useful to any degree on a 1800 kg car travelling at a limited 100 mph while carrying 900 kg over the rear axle driving wheels (with a driver + passenger(s), around 5kN downforce per tyre...). Unless being driven on ice, at 44 metres/sec (~100 mph) even a boot to full throttle is very unlikely to break traction with < 250Nm available, so the almost insignificant extra downforce generated (assuming the 'spoiler' is actually generating downforce as well as drag) combined with slight loss of body lift would hardly be noticable. If dumping body lift is what is desired, it would be better done on the roof approximately at max thickness point, i.e. approximately near the driver's head.
Secondly, they are behind the rear axle, so even if they were generating gobs of downforce at speed, they would also be lifting the nose; quite undesirable.
The route to lower drag at the roof rear is to extend the body/roofline length while avoiding flow separation, but this would further restrict rear window vis, so until we get to use solely rearview cameras (like newer trucks) and bin the legacy 'window/mirror' requirement, it's either raised drag coefficient, longgggg cars - like the Lightyear0 - , or Aptera, which has been design-led by aerodynamicists rather than, er, 'designers'.
A better way to create downforce would be via underbody flow management, per current F1 designs: mine has joined the ranks of the 'trying to disembowel itself') with the bulgy undertray, so is investigating extra drag/lift dumping/road debris collection of it's own volition. Off to the dealer; might ask for the shutter kit to be fitted while it's there, lol.
atb - ttp
Yeah but they do look nice tho 😜

I tend to get about 180 miles on a full charge and this morning had about 170 I think left when I had to drop it off at the local dealership for them to do the recall check for the locking problems that have been happening. Mines been fine and when I got back in the car to drive home I had 95% battery which is about right but 207 miles? Both amounts in ECO settings.

When I got home I had 200miles left which was true to the distance been driven, I’m just wondering what’s changed? It’s great that my mileage is higher because I was struggling to get near 200miles on full charges.

I wonder is the update being done might have fixed a potential issue I might have had?

I tend to get about 180 miles on a full charge and this morning had about 170 I think left when I had to drop it off at the local dealership for them to do the recall check for the locking problems that have been happening. Mines been fine and when I got back in the car to drive home I had 95% battery which is about right but 207 miles? Both amounts in ECO settings.

When I got home I had 200miles left which was true to the distance been driven, I’m just wondering what’s changed? It’s great that my mileage is higher because I was struggling to get near 200miles on full charges.

I wonder is the update being done might have fixed a potential issue I might have had?
Could also be that the more you drive it, the more data it collects regarding your driving style and miles per kWh, and therefore it could be giving you more accurate figures.

What was the temperature outside, has a big bearing on range. Also, if the trip computer has been reset with your update then it is only using the data from your trip since the update. I gets more accurate the more you drive.

Were your Accumulated Total stats reset after the update? (Mine were). That'll reset your GOM estimate towards the WLTP figure ... until you start driving. :)

There was a large winter range test in Norway today ("elprix 2023" : El Prix 2023 – verdens største elbiltest | NAF and results are posted here as well Tesla Model S satte ny vinterrekord )

Staring temp in Oslo about 2C, lowest temp on route expected around -17C, but I guess most of the route is in the -2C to -5C range.

MG 4 Luxury with 425Km WLTP managed 338Km before it stopped. 20,47% behind WLTP in the winter test. (MG ZS LR 440Km WLTP managed 352Km, 20% behind, MG 5 380Km WLTP, 313Km 17,63% behind and MG Marvel R 370Km WLTP, 308Km 16,76% behind).

About what one would expect in the cold.

Were your Accumulated Total stats reset after the update? (Mine were). That'll reset your GOM estimate towards the WLTP figure ... until you start driving. :)
Yeh I think it was, hopefully I can keep the mileage high now I’m understanding things a little more now! Thanks everyone for your help! As always this site is fab for all queries and ideas 💡 👌🏼

I had an odd range "issue" this evening. 5 mile drive out to a restaurant earlier. Efficiency was 3.3, which has been pretty standard for a short journey on a coldish night. Now coming home (all pretty flat, both ways) the efficiency reached 7 at one point, and had settled down to 5.2 when we reached home! Now I know that a 5 mile journey efficiency isn't long enough to get excited about, but if only I could get to 5.2 all the time!

I had an odd range "issue" this evening. 5 mile drive out to a restaurant earlier. Efficiency was 3.3, which has been pretty standard for a short journey on a coldish night. Now coming home (all pretty flat, both ways) the efficiency reached 7 at one point, and had settled down to 5.2 when we reached home! Now I know that a 5 mile journey efficiency isn't long enough to get excited about, but if only I could get to 5.2 all the time!
Seeing this tendency all the time with mine, is yours standard or LR ?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 472 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 79 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.7%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back