MG4 Range

Frankly everything about EVs is far too complicated for the average person. It will have to be simplified for mass adoption.
My previous, ICE, car had quite variable range mainly depending on how heavy my foot was on the loud and stop pedals. This for sure varied by over 20%, or more on the few track days I did.

When it gots close to zero I would go and fill up.Whats really good, as I have a home charger is that it it's lower.than I need.i.can just plug it in and don't have to search for a petrol station with a reasonable price 🙂
I don't think that EVs are too complicated it's just a matter of them being new and people getting used to them. Just not helped with the WLTP being based on range rather than MPG as the old comparison.

Exactly with an ice you just go and fill up when your fuel gauge gets low. You don't think about range.

But of course ice cars vary wildly in "range" as well depending on many factors, driving style, speed, weather etc just the range was never emphasised in the first place as we do now with the WLTP.

But I'm sure in time people will get used to them, as we do with mobile phones just plug them in each night and when the battery indicator gets low.

My "range" in my ice would vary considerably if I dwelt on it and calculated it but of course we dont,

IMG_20221202_142044.jpg

Just thought to open up this thread to discuss the range of MG4 cars.
Anyone noticed that MG4 range is significantly down. I have MG4 Trophy and its only showing 220miles after 100% charge. Anyone experiencing similar issue?

If anyone know settings which will increase the range, please reply.

Many Thanks
Yes eco and turn air on off will help but it’s cold brrrrr

Hi all
I’ll just chip in my wife’s Mg4 SR is very disappointing on range much worse than my 5 ever was I sure of that, at the moment when we collected the ar October 15 th I think it was , 100% charged Gom showed 229 miles available in normal mode not seen it go past 200 since when I have recharged it to 100% and allowed it to do a full balance session.

But having now driven an EV for a while I think I know most of the tricks to get the best range out of them, even my son who has been an EV driver for several years now, was saying yesterday the range in his Tesla model X is terrible at the moment, down around 80 or so miles at lease from summer figures so can only assume from that it as got to be the temperatures.

My MG5 was the same 40-60 miles down in winter temps I suppose the MG4 Trophy model might be a bit better than the SE LR in winter, the reason I say that is my 5 had the heated seats that I often used to keep warm rather than having the HVAC running for long periods as they run from the 12 volt battery, still needed HVAC on for shorts bursts to clear the windows but the seat heaters where great and the trophy as them, I know MG range figures are lower for the Trophy by about 10 miles but in cold weather it could maybe do better than the SE if you don’t have to run the HAVC as much which can batter the range.

I think we’ll know things will be better come spring also this is the wrong time of year to be getting a new car and expecting to to do the manufactures figures I think, as them figures will have been obtained in the very best of conditions and temperatures you can be assured of that.
Les.

Last edited:
Yep our Trophy is struggling to get above 2 miles/kWh at the moment. This is while doing short journeys of a couple of miles at a time with the heating on full but the LEAF we had before would usually manage at least 2.8 miles/kWh.

I did a couple of 20 mile drives last week at 70 mph and it was much better at around 3.2 mi/kWh which is about what I expected.

Something not right here I still getting 2.8-3.1mi/kWh out of our lasses MG ZS EV MK1 this morning 14mile drive at 4am -1C 55mph top speed on A roads 2.9mi/kWh that's with HVAC on to keep windscreen clear.

And MG4 is more aerodynamic than the ZS EV

Hi all
I’ll just chip in my wife’s Mg4 SR is very disappointing on range much worse than my 5 ever was I sure of that, at the moment when we collected the ar October 15 th I think it was , 100% charged Gom showed 229 miles available in normal mode not seen it go past 200 since when I have recharged it to 100% and allowed it to do a full balance session.

But having now driven an EV for a while I think I know most of the tricks to get the best range out of them, even my son who has been an EV driver for several years now, was saying yesterday the range in his Tesla model X is terrible at the moment, down around 80 or so miles at lease from summer figures so can only assume from that it as got to be the temperatures.

My MG5 was the same 40-60 miles down in winter temps I suppose the MG4 Trophy model might be a bit better than the SE LR in winter, the reason I say that is my 5 had the heated seats that I often used to keep warm rather than having the HVAC running for long periods as they run from the 12 volt battery, still needed HVAC on for shorts bursts to clear the windows but the seat heaters where great and the trophy as them, I know MG range figures are lower for the Trophy by about 10 miles but in cold weather it could maybe do better than the SE if you don’t have to run the HAVC as much which can batter the range.

I think we’ll know thinks will be better come spring also this is the wrong time of year to be getting a new car and expecting to to do the manufactures figures I think, as them figures will have been obtained in the very best of conditions and temperatures you can be assured of that.
Les.
I will say I seemed to get more kwh out the MG5 than the 4. KWH doesn't seem as high on my MG4. However.... my MG5 was my first EV and I was all for efficiency, the drive wasnt as good so I didnt drive it like a rear wheel hatchback and it was always in eco mode.

The MG4 I enjoy driving it so thats probably why its not as efficient... if i put it in ECO and click that little low power icon with no heating I can achieve over 4 kwh, sometimes 5 if I really want to. But general this time of year for me its 2.5kwh.

I'm finding the miles/kwh on our MG4 is working differently to how it did on our old ZSEV. In the ZS we did between 3 and 3.5 miles/kwh. At the start of the journey the display would normally say 3 miles/kwh, and as the journey progressed this 3 would either increase or decrease depending upon the type of journey and type of driving. With the MG4 I am finding that the display is showing around 2 at the start and this slowly increases as the journey progresses.

We haven't had the MG4 long yet, and I know the car will take some time to learn the driver's style, but, as far as I can recall, our ZS was the same right from new i.e. the miles/kwh started middle then adjusted, as opposed to the MG4 which starts rock bottom then increases.

We are due to make a journey this weekend in our MG4 Trophy, visiting a relative, of around 90 miles each way, mostly motorway. I was feeling quite relaxed about making a 180 mile round trip in this car, even in the Winter, but now I'm not so sure!

I've been experimenting a bit and discovered a few things. I think the reason for the sub 2 mi/kWh readings is that the pre-heat energy is being counted, which it wasn't on the LEAF.

Since charging yesterday we have covered 4.5 miles using 10% of the battery. That's 1.4 kWh/mi which is almost Tesla semi consumption :)

5% was battery heating for 40 mins this morning to see how much power it drew. ~4.6kW

Another 2% was defrosting the cabin remotely

Leaving 3% for the driving. 2.4 mi/kWh

2.4 mi/kWh is pretty good considering the types of of trips we are making.

My car was fully charged overnight. I then applied the cabin preheat (yes, I had to unlock and unplug the charge cable first, then relock). After breakfast I drove to work. At the start the mpkWh was 2, by the end of the journey (~15 miles through towns and countryside, rarely got above 50 mph) it had risen to 2.7.

As it’s been absolutely Baltic out there over the last few days, I was wondering what range and Miles per kWh people are getting with their cars?

Cabin preheat accounts for about 2% battery in my SE SR, so about 1kWh. As my commute is about 33 miles return (15 there, 18 back due to using a different route) and I cabin preheat morning and evening, I'm currently getting at best 2.7 mpkWh. Longer journeys would increase this to about 3.2 mpkWh average.

Cabin preheat for 10 mins this morning.
-2 degrees when I set off
27 mile commute along the A13 into London ( bit of fast road , then loads of stop start)
In eco mode with A/c off for most of the journey as I find the cabin retains the heat really well.
3.7m/KWh
During the milder weather in November I was getting around 4.3-4.6 m/Kwh so I think that's pretty good.

I like my comfort so I always have AC on (plus rear demist when needed). 😂

I'm not a range addict - I'm driving this with the same criteria I'd use driving an ICE car ... it's just that efficiency in an EV is much more "in your face". :)

Cabin preheat for 10 mins this morning.
-2 degrees when I set off
27 mile commute along the A13 into London ( bit of fast road , then loads of stop start)
In eco mode with A/c off for most of the journey as I find the cabin retains the heat really well.
3.7m/KWh
During the milder weather in November I was getting around 4.3-4.6 m/Kwh so I think that's pretty good.
The 3.7 is good to know. I'm golfing over your way early tomorrow (7.30!), in Canvey Island, so that will be a good test for my winter range. If you're up early and see an Orange Trophy on the A130 give me a wave!

Does the Rear demister run off the 12v battery?
The 3.7 is good to know. I'm golfing over your way early tomorrow (7.30!), in Canvey Island, so that will be a good test for my winter range. If you're up early and see an Orange Trophy on the A130 give me a wave!
We might hit Sadlers Farm at the same time so I'll keep a look out!

I’m not breaking 2 miles per KWh right now.
That’s driving gently.
Pretty shocking really.
Luckily I’m not reliant on range.

I’m not breaking 2 miles per KWh right now.
That’s driving gently.
Pretty shocking really.
Luckily I’m not reliant on range.
Says the same guy who floors it and comments about the car limiting top speed? ;)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 483 78.9%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 83 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back