MG4 Range

Remember that the GoM will show estimated remaining range based on whatever drive mode you've selected (Eco/Normal/Sport) ... the app always shows based on Eco.

Since my last charge I'm seeing 3.4 mpkWh on the car. App shows estimated range as 68 miles with 40% charge remaining.
I’m seeing 3.9 average for the past 800 miles, according to the car. Very happy with that. Anything over 3 works for me to be honest.

June 23. Impressive future prediction. Today was my first long return run over max range. Stopped a Watford Gap Services but 3 chargers being used, one by a red MG4. Looks like they were plumbing in more charges in a construction area - hope they are able to be connected to the Grid.

Remember that the GoM will show estimated remaining range based on whatever drive mode you've selected (Eco/Normal/Sport) ... the app always shows based on Eco.
My app always shows exactly the same range as the GoM shows in Normal mode with the AC off. As I've normally got AC on, the GoM usually shows less than the app.

My app always shows exactly the same range as the GoM shows in Normal mode with the AC off. As I've normally got AC on, the GoM usually shows less than the app.
That's another theory that also holds weight ... to me the GoM range in Normal with AC off is the same as Eco with AC on, so you may be right. (When the car is off then the app can't know whether AC is intended to be on or not). :)

That's another theory that also holds weight ... to me the GoM range in Normal with AC off is the same as Eco with AC on, so you may be right. (When the car is off then the app can't know whether AC is intended to be on or not). :)
On mine in Eco and AC on the two readings are close but not identical. In Normal with AC off they are identical. Not that any of it really matters as it's just an estimate! :)

New test in Norway under summer conditions. 439,6km, almost spot on for the 435km WLTP.

Here is results for all cars in test:

Aw I didn’t know there’s a thread here, I’m getting between 4.8m/kWh for long distance motorway and A roads travelling at sensible speed(Manchester to Aberystwyth 140miles) to 4.4 at salesman pace coming back.😉
Normal mode with air con.

Thread 'First long trip in my MG4 SE LR'
First long trip in my MG4 SE LR

Last edited:
I am clearly not travelling at a sensible speed. Or even at a salesman speed.
Me neither. You can get any result on a single journey by driving in a certain way. I take no notice of range figures unless they are clearly taken over 500+ miles, involve mixed driving, and the driver confirms they've driven to speed limits and used aircon/heating to be comfortable.

I noticed 5.1 momentarily on yesterday's trip, as I drove down the on-ramp to the eastern end of the M8 from the A720, maybe 15-18 miles into my journey. I'd come down the A702 which is a net drop in altitude of close to 700 feet from where I live, driving slowly because of heavy traffic. The A720 was also running quite slowly, and I was well over 4 miles/KWh most of that way. Then the long down-ramp, again in heavy traffic. Whoopee, 5.1.

Then I got on the motorway. It wasn't so much driving up to the speed limit as reminding myself that if I didn't drive down to it I was liable to get nicked. (I saw a speed camera van on a bridge over the M9 motorway at one point, but I was "only" doing 76 so no worries.) It was absolutely baking outside and I was running the aircon with a very thankful heart.

I mean who cares? It's costing me less than half what it cost me in petrol to run my Golf.

121 miles yesterday of mixed town, dual carriage ways even a decent amount of motorway (& not exceeding 70) - average of 38mph over the 3 hours driving gave me :

3.6 m/kwh

And yes AC was on and in ECO

I can get it higher if I really drive it very very very gently and dont have cruise on ... I do think that the car 'looses' kwh the more 'features' you have on - No Heat pump impacts the HVAC - we all appreciate that - What I think I'm seeing is having the other features on also impacts the kwh figure.

Getting between 4.8 and 5.1 m/kw now for longer and shorter journeys

I do 120 miles a day at least and I get similar, apart from one route that's uphill, but even then it cancels out on the way back a bit.

Worst journey - 3.4 (ragged it around the countryside in sport mode)
Best 5.3 - But it was only about 40 miles and I never got over 30mph

Did 70 miles last night from full and it went from 220 estimated to 170 left. So decent that! Wasn't stretching it at all. Did 70 this morning and it went from 170 to 104.

Another 138mile round trip today. Important that you start and end in the same place to try and rule out elevation change and prevailing wind. Driven with air con on and at speed limits, dual carriageway and got 3.4m per kWh. This is above what I normally get as the M3 has a 50mph limit and about 15 miles of the trip we’re on that.

It is not possible to better this at speed limits and gets worse if sales rep mode is engaged. I can get mid 4s no problem just not at speed limits if on dual carriageway or motorway

My first return trip that exceeded the specified range of the Trophy. I managed 138 miles using 54% battery power with A/C all the time and ACC at 70mph. Only a few slow patches on M1.

On return journey charged at Milton Keynes Coachway EV charging. 4 Ionity chargers - gave my Trophy a charge at 125KW - and about 10 (did not count) 50KW BP-Pulse chargers. Thought my Electroverse RFID would work but did not so scanned the QR code and entered my card details. (To my PAYG Phone the Trophy Hotspot is a wonderful bonus.) There were some interesting EVs there, should have taken photos.

Only issue is that the toilets cost 30p a go unless you leap over the turnstile. (No, I did not.)

Just done 106.1 miles since my last charge - had 38% SoC remaining, and average speed was about 28 mph (but this had included a couple of motorway trips from home to Glasgow and back). 3.4 mpkWh according to the GoM, 3.37 according to calculation.

I did about 125 miles yesterday and ended up bang on 30% SoC. I got to my destination 60 miles away at 70%, but the return journey was faster because there was less traffic, and I also had to regain the elevation I'd lost at the start - I live 760 feet above sea level, and the road skirts 1,000 feet a few miles from home. Also, I was about to be late for orchestra practice. So I was on 33% when I got home, and the six-mile round trip to orchestra practice (which happens close to the 1,000-feet contour line) brought me down to 30%.

An hour later, thanks to the trusty village charger, I was on 89% and the car was having dessert and after-dinner mints on the granny charger in the garage.

An hour later, thanks to the trusty village charger, I was on 89% and the car was having dessert and after-dinner mints on the granny charger in the garage.
😲 You plugged yourself into the village charger? Are you related to Frankenstein's monster?
And you say your car runs on pudding and mint chocolates.
I think you need to take more water in it 🤣

Greetings everyone,

I'm considering getting the MG EV 4 but have some concerns and would greatly appreciate insights from fellow drivers who have experienced real-life driving conditions.

According to the manufacturer, the MG EV 4 claims a range of 280 miles on a single charge. My primary intention is to use it for a 170-mile motorway trip without needing to recharge. While I understand that in the summer, the car should theoretically handle the journey comfortably on one charge, I'm curious about its performance during the winter months. Considering the usage of heating, lights, and other electrical components, do you believe it would still be able to complete the trip on a single charge?

I'm seeking real-world experiences from drivers who have encountered similar situations. Any advice or insights you can provide would be immensely valuable. Thank you!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back