MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

As was mentioned a couple of pages back, it sounds as though there's a lack of thread sealant on the original breather which could well be a simpler fix than a whole new breather, if that is indeed the issue
Would be interesting for someone to try a thread fix by sealing properly and see if that’s the actual issue

As was mentioned a couple of pages back, it sounds as though there's a lack of thread sealant on the original breather which could well be a simpler fix than a whole new breather, if that is indeed the issue
Or it may just need tightening up a little ?

It's a big IF. The amount of oil exiting mine and some other cars is more than would wick up an unsealed thread from a non-pressurised source - the breather would have to be loose which I find unbelievable. I find it hard to believe that MG would get to the point of the complicated fix shown above without checking something so obvious.

I think that this was an isolated incident rather than the norm. They wouldn't go to the trouble of designing and making a modified breather if the oil was not escaping through the breather.

I think a lack of thread sealant is a bit of a red herring. They would have to be pretty low rent threads for oil to get through if they were torqued to spec?

I think that this was an isolated incident rather than the norm. They wouldn't go to the trouble of designing and making a modified breather if the oil was not escaping through the breather.

I think a lack of thread sealant is a bit of a red herring. They would have to be pretty low rent threads for oil to get through if they were torqued to spec?
Valid points, both! I was just musing what else had been found. The plus point is the lack of sealant in this case would have made fitting the new breather a tad easier :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
not got car yet so no rush :)

if I wanted to put a drip tray down to protect my drive from the reduction gearbox oil leak, is there one specific place I could put it? e.g. in line with rear wheels, centre of car? let's play pin the drip tray on the mg4 ... :)

I realise there's just a chance I might get my car with a fix, but I do like to be prepared :)

The oil generally exits by the lower arm mount of the rear suspension - it can be on either side, particularly if you park on a side to side slope although the breather is on the nearside.

All because, the Trophy loves....

......drip tray

1668798399799.png

There does seem to be a growing number of people on FB that still accept the over fill theory and as such accept the dealers telling them that the refill has solved the issue. Wonder how many have subsequently checked under their car ? Not deliberately being negative just sharing my thoughts.

By popular request, I have added an option to the Oil Leak poll. You can now select “I had the oil leak and a new breather fixed it”.

To avoid accusations of bias please can we have a “I still have the oil leak and a new breather didn't fix it” option? Hopefully it will remain unused and people will be able to select the more positive option.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back