MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

I have had a couple of replies with, this is the first reply from MG….

Thank you for your email and I am sorry to learn of your disappointment regarding these matters.

MG Motor UK Ltd. are aware of the concerns reported by MG owners and potential owners and I can confirm that a small number of customers have reported this to their MG Dealerships, which is the correct course of action.

Due to the cases that have been reported, we are working with the factory in China to provide a resolution and indeed we are sending out internal communications to the dealer network regarding this.

The issue with gearbox oil, is the result of required fluid levels differing from Asian to European models of the car, and it is clear that some of our vehicles have received too much fluid as a result of this. Receiving the correct information regarding this should be a quick procedure.

With regards to the tray, we have made the factory aware of this and their recommendation is to replace the tray, however with this being a new model, the supply of the required parts to replace this would not have been anticipated. As a result, there may be a delay in their replacement, however we are working to provide a solution as soon as possible.

There is no affect on driving performance due to either issue, although there may be wind noise from beneath the car due to the fitment of the undertray.

I am sure you can appreciate that my answer is as open and honest as possible, and I can also confirm that any customer contacting customer service has received a similar reply.

I am also sure that you can appreciate that there are a large number of independent social media sites and forums. MG Motor UK Ltd. do not reply directly on forums to GDPR and compliance purposes. There has been no attempt to cover up or deny any customer complaints from any source.

I trust that the above will answer your questions and confirm our position regarding this matter.
See now that Pacifies me a little.
Thats all it would have taken from MG to all the new MG4 owners.

I guess I must have been imagining that “Deb” in MG Motors UK customer care told me yesterday that MG was not aware of any problems with oil leak. Thanks for sharing this response.
to the tune of Disco 2000.....

Oh, Deborah, do you recall?
The oil was over full
Underneath if formed a pool
Your man in his overalls
He didn't notice it at all......

Atmosphere/excitement levels/joyous elation on the forum seem a lot different to the evening of that sunny MG4 podcast night, just 2 months ago.....

She lives, ALIVE I TELL YOU! 🥹

Just had call from dealer, apparently updating software with someone in the drivers seat = software crash and dead car.

Now on to the oil leak. I told him no rush, take the rest of the afternoon.
Had a similar situation on our previous ZS EV Gen 1 when it was in for some work and an update.
The car bricked itself and was stuck on the ramp for four days !.
Apparently when the update was done, the keys where still inside of the car and this caused the issue.
The car seen this as an attempt of theft and completely shut down the car.
The MG4 has no direct keys as such, so I can only assume that when the driver sits on the seat, it triggers the car to boot up.
Trying to do your update with somebody sitting on the drivers seat, has repeated what happened on our car.
Now that would be a good idea, to send out a service bulletin to the dealers !.

C327290A-9401-4A3A-A0FE-B87EB93709D3.jpeg

So I’m guessing they are saying the car is safe to use and the gear oil won’t run dry, it is nice and encouraging to see they are replying to the complaints quickly though.

I've never heard of a different oil level being adopted for different markets. Oil viscosity yes, but level no. The correct level is usually determined by the physical location of the level/filler plug and cannot be changed.

With regard to this exact thing.....

The issue with gearbox oil, is the result of required fluid levels differing from Asian to European models of the car, and it is clear that some of our vehicles have received too much fluid as a result of this.

I was wondering this and spent a little time last week trying to find the Mulan manual to see if that was also showing 0.9L for the oil.

Not that I expected the euro models to be different.
Was just curious if the Mulan said something like 0.5L and the 0.9 was a typo in the euro manual or something
But I couldn't actually find the Mulan owners manual anyway.

I've never heard of a different oil level being adopted for different markets. Oil viscosity yes, but level no. The correct level is usually determined by the physical location of the level/filler plug and cannot be changed.
I agree. The only reason I can think of is if it's a different gearbox.

New bulletin from MG to dealers released today. China are investigating. Proposed timeline for final results are 2-4 days.

@Miles Roberts CG please could you share with us the final results when they are available to you (that is if you are allowed to do this)?

It would really help stop the speculation and worry for owners and potential buyers.

What I’m still a little bemused about is why the previous fix of dropping the oil level only works in some cars, are the gear boxes/motors different on the SE SR and the Trophy ? Or SR & LR ?

Looks like I was a bit premature in getting an EV charger fitted.
First I order MG ZS and get bored (and older) waiting for the damn thing then I swap my order for MG4 which now seems like it'll be delivered (perhaps) with oil leaks, bent and ill fitting undertray, intrusive nanny alarms and software that bricks anytime anyone looks at it wrong.
Sod it, I'm cancelling and keeping my ICE. At least I can rely on a clean driveway.
True.
However, you might as well still get the charger fitted, as if you're not planning on moving home in the medium future, given you may be de facto forced into buying a transportation pod eventually, so the charger will be needed....unless of course transportation pods go pear shaped, ala like diesels and the 'wonder fuel' they were supposed to be and how incentivised they were by Gov'ts.

This means then that there's no reason not to keep driving the car if you see oil (great news) and the tray will get dealt with. Sounds like this is the main problem although one or two have reported it isn't just the oil level in their specific cases.
Mine is at Leicester MG at the moment for the oil leaky problem, they have now kept it and ordered new parts!
New breather tube on order ( 3 weeks).
I’ll take that with a pinch of salt.
Why does a brand new car need new parts anyway?
Still waiting for hire car.
Completely stitched up by MG.
If everyone who has a MG4 has to wait 3 weeks for new parts, the hire car bill will be horrendous for MG, bet I can’t get them to foot the bill for all the petrol too.

Seriously considering dumping it with them, and buying a tried and tested ICE car.
Life’s too short for all this crap!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel