MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

Yes. Now that would be a difficult retrofit, as I'd have thought that the motor/transaxle unit would have to be removed and stripped. A large headache for MG...
Massive indeed, modern dealerships are set up for diagnostics and changing parts, I very much doubt they would strip down, modify, then rebuild and seal up a gearbox in house, it would be farmed out to a transmission rebuilder, or just exchanged, then we're into waiting for supply of a lot of revised parts!

We're getting an MG4, but our order is staying on hold until this issue is fully resolved...

Well Paulie68 I wouldn’t hang around to long if you are having one as there are rumours around about a possible price increase that might be on the way, plus who knows what might happen in Westminster this next couple of weeks. I agree it would be a problem for the dealers in many cases to do total strip downs but how big is the problem that’s the question.

Up to now in the oil leak poll thread on this forum there is 46 votes, 19 have the leak and only 4 have said the gearbox was over filled.
It would be interesting to know how many mg4 are now on the road as when my wife pick hers up last week the sales guy said they where sell very well.

Now I know the poll is only on for the owners on this forum but I would hazard a guess that there are quite a few on here but only 46 votes strange if the problem is as big as it seems.

Touch wood our appears ok for oil issues but only around 100 miles on it yet but it does have the bulge on the under tray just in front of the rear axles reminds me I need to report that.
Les

Well Paulie68 I wouldn’t hang around to long if you are having one as there are rumours around about a possible price increase that might be on the way, plus who knows what might happen in Westminster this next couple of weeks. I agree it would be a problem for the dealers in many cases to do total strip downs but how big is the problem that’s the question.

Up to now in the oil leak poll thread on this forum there is 46 votes, 19 have the leak and only 4 have said the gearbox was over filled.
It would be interesting to know how many mg4 are now on the road as when my wife pick hers up last week the sales guy said they where sell very well.

Now I know the poll is only on for the owners on this forum but I would hazard a guess that there are quite a few on here but only 46 votes strange if the problem is as big as it seems.

Touch wood our appears ok for oil issues but only around 100 miles on it yet but it does have the bulge on the under tray just in front of the rear axles reminds me I need to report that.
Les
Les, I'd ask your dealership to check for an oil leak when you get the undertray bulge looked at - that's how my leak was identified this morning.

Based on my experience, the issue could be more widespread, not isolated.

I agree Marty but still only 46 in the poll could be 47 now with yours I guess hope you get it back soon fixed but MG are dragging the feet as they always do. But I’m not to worried at this stage I’m sure it will get fix sooner are later.
Les

Oil leak discovered on my MG4 this morning when in the workshop for a number of fixes and checks. They were aware of the issue and said MG has issued a bulletin, but there was not a fix at present.
Now have a courtesy vehicle.
Which dealer, if you don't mind me asking?

Was it today that we were hoping to hear a little more regarding this?
My worry is that if they announce something after 4 days, or longer as it seems to be panning out, then this might be indicating a more complicated, difficult to analyse and fix, problem. Or am I just over thinking this!

My worry is that if they announce something after 4 days, or longer as it seems to be panning out, then this might be indicating a more complicated, difficult to analyse and fix, problem. Or am I just over thinking this!
we all are to be fair.

what else can we do when the vehicle manufacture do not report to the their very own dealership network, let alone the actual customers at the end of the chain.

Hope it's simple and quick so those that have their cars stuck at their dealers get them back on the road ASAP.
If it's not a quick fix mine will probably be rejected unless they can provide a new one without the oil leak as a swap.
I'm not prepared to wait much longer
It's been 3 weeks now.
Thankfully I'm still using my car as dealer and MG said ok to do so.
But the whole process of buying a new car shouldn't include this stress or inconvenience.

Last edited:
Nope, not me. My car has been at dealer for 2 weeks waiting for the fix that MG Motors UK said they would announce by today. 🤥

edit - just seen post from @Miles Roberts CG, thanks 🙏
Ah sorry I got it wrong same here 3weeks mines been there they say there replacing it but still waiting got a courtesy car though hope we get to no something tomorrow

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back