MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

If you skip to 27.40 he talks about the oil flowing over the stator windings, its a mach e motor so a wee bit more spicy than the MG4 it must be said.
I do find the concept weird too, how do you stop the oil getting on the rotor and creating unwelcome drag ?
Oil wont bother windings though, many high voltage transformers live in an oil bath.

Thanks for that, the wonders of modern technology.

If you skip to 27.40 he talks about the oil flowing over the stator windings, its a mach e motor so a wee bit more spicy than the MG4 it must be said.
I do find the concept weird too, how do you stop the oil getting on the rotor and creating unwelcome drag ?
Oil wont bother windings though, many high voltage transformers live in an oil bath.

Yes he states the oil runs over the STATOR hence not between ROTOR and STATOR where the fine air gap has to be.

I'm still very positive and optimistic about MG4 ownership. Based on my test drive, it is a significant leap forward in sophistication, in terms of ride and technology
Indeed. I wish I could have given my money to a democracy to be quite honest, I wish I could have supported UK jobs, but hats off to MG / SAIC for producing a cracking little RWD hatch that's a hoot to drive, cant wait to get mine.
Hopefully when it's time to replace it I can buy something similar from a UK or European factory.

Just stuck my head under mine again as I didn't notice any drips for last couple of days
So there's 2 options !!
It's either leaked to a decent level and stopped from being slightly overfilled.
Or
The damn thing is empty which I can't see in all honesty as the vent is at the top and the car still drives fine and is quiet as a mouse.

Being as there's been no recall from MG and last message on here was there's no reason to stop driving, I'm hoping it's levelled out
One thing definitely to note though
The bolts in the under tray about 4 of them were screwing themselves out quite a bit so I've tightened them all up.
None were totally tightened up.
Not a great sign for quality checks by either the factory or PDI.

so I would definitely recommend you all check yours before someone loses a tray.

fingers crossed we'll hear more today.

Now to clean the spots off my blockpaved drive

Ho hum... Had a call from my dealer a short while ago to call MG assist. So I do and get told, after a consultation with superiors, that they only do roadside emergency assistance...

So back to Richmond Portsmouth after this post and after their attempt at a fob off.. I will keep you informed as to progress, but suffice to say that I am not impressed.

Edit: just to say that I was told not to drive it. I told the salesman that there had was a general communication from MG today but he wasn't aware of it..

My dealer just contacted me:
"MG has confirmed there will be new design breather kit, which has the addition of a long pipe to avoid oil leakage. The kit are being prepared and estimated delivery by the second week in November. Keith is going to his very best to see if we can get a better ETA. Keith will call you tomorrow when he is back in the office."

Ho hum... Had a call from my dealer a short while ago to call MG assist. So I do and get told, after a consultation with superiors, that they only do roadside emergency assistance...

So back to Richmond Portsmouth after this post and after their attempt at a fob off.. I will keep you informed as to progress, but suffice to say that I am not impressed.

Edit: just to say that I was told not to drive it. I told the salesman that there had was a general communication from MG today but he wasn't aware of it..
My car had oil leak, garage told me to contact MG assist which I did and they collected it from my house.

"MG has confirmed there will be new design breather kit, which has the addition of a long pipe to avoid oil leakage. The kit are being prepared and estimated delivery by the second week in November. Keith is going to his very best to see if we can get a better ETA. Keith will call you tomorrow when he is back in the office."
I wonder if they’re going to still deliver vehicles to customers ahead of that. Any further guidance on whether they should be driven whilst awaiting that fix?

Based on that resolution it must be "spitting" out gearbox oil. So anyone continuing to drive the car will have reduced oil in the gearbox surely? Future problem unless checked ASAP?

Alan

I've just had a call from Jamie at the MG Innovation Centre to ask if I had any questions about my forthcoming MG4.

The first obvious question was "When am I getting it?" but I didn't expect him to be able to answer that 😁

The next one was "Has the bulletin gone out to the dealer network about the oil leak?" - his answer was "What oil leak?" 🙄

Edit: I suggested that he visit this forum. ;)

Last edited:
I've just had a call from Jamie at the MG Innovation Centre to ask if I had any questions about my forthcoming MG4.

The first obvious question was "When am I getting it?" but I didn't expect him to be able to answer that 😁

The next one was "Has the bulletin gone out to the dealer network about the oil leak?" - his answer was "What oil leak?" 🙄

Edit: I suggested that he visit this forum. ;)

What Oil Leak? What the heck... I am guessing the number of people with the oil Leak don't know they have a oil leak is higher than people who do.

Thanks guys. I tried again and this time have organised a pick up.. I was being unfair on Richmond in my previous post and was muttering to myself about them! ;-)

One thing I would be very keen to hear from @Miles Roberts CG (if he can help) now that the announcement has been made is the advice from MG Motors UK re owners driving their leaking cars in the mean time. Some owners seem to be told that the car is fine to drive but I am being told I cannot drive mine. What is the official guidance on this?

Yes, that was always going to be the retrofittable fix - and probably works well enough, too. I wonder where it vents to, given that it's a "long" pipe?

Anyway, thanks for the info - and I'm sure a lot of forum members will be feeling relieved!

From the customer experience managaer at MG

I can confirm a bulletin has been released by MG Motor UK Ltd to rectify the issue we have been experiencing with regards to the oil leak concerns on a very small number of MG 4’s.

As confirmed in my previous correspondence, the issue does not leave the vehicle undriveable and does not impact the performance or functionality of the vehicle.

I can confirm a bulletin has been released by MG Motor UK Ltd to rectify the issue we have been experiencing with regards to the oil leak concerns on a very small number of MG 4’s.

As confirmed in my previous correspondence, the issue does not leave the vehicle undriveable and does not impact the performance or functionality of the vehicle.
It would be interesting to see if there is a recall to retrofit the modified breather or they wait until the customer complains about the oil leak or it's fitted at the first service if they haven't complained.

I repeat: Hmm...

What’s it doesn’t say…….performance or functionality or longevity

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 507 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel