MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

The 50 mph was mentioned on the bulletin my dealer showed me, printed out. He would not let me have copy as also marked confidential.
That must be a different bulletin then. Mine is dated 25/10 and is a single page.

Edit: Mine is marked as an update on the oil leak, so perhaps the 50mph was advice in a previous bulletin?

The dealer bulletin (see my previous message) says specifically that the new pipe is only for vehicles showing the oil leak issue either at PDI or by customer return to dealer. I assume they will be fitting it on all new production too, but this isn't mentioned.
This strongly suggests they intend to make checking for oil leaks in the area of the motor, a item on the PDI for a while then ?.
Or, a “no leak - no new breather” mind set.
Only dealing / rectifying the cars affected on receipt, or by customer complaint reports.
A “Drip Feed” affect, so to speak ( Sorry, bad joke ) 😌😉.

This strongly suggests they intend to make checking for oil leaks in the area of the motor, a item on the PDI for a while then ?.
Or, a “no leak - no new breather” mind set.
Only dealing / rectifying the cars affected on receipt, or by customer complaint reports.
A “Drip Feed” affect, so to speak ( Sorry, bad joke ) 😌😉.
Well, clearly there are a lot of cars in transit, so I assume this means that until they change the breather they are putting in at the factory, they will inspect as they come off the boat (or at dealers). However, we already know that the leak doesn't usually show until the car has done 100+ miles.

Seems like an odd way to ensure the cars will be leak free…leave it up to the customer to identify it…very strange indeed, you’d think they would be a bit more proactive with this.
I'm guessing that MG consider this to be just a nuisance fault, rather than a critical mechanical problem, otherwise they'd have to issue a recall.

Given what has been said, I think it is clear that there will not be a recall and they do not think this is a serious issue if it occurs.

I conjecture that this is because it is only excess oil that is flung out of the breather and the gearbox can operate with a range of fill levels. The new fill level is presumably lower to reduce the chances of this.

Whatever the precise cause, it is good that this has been addressed and the fix will be available within a couple of weeks.
I tend to agree with your sentiments here. I also think we are realising how MG achieve low costs for cars. I think they have a very small team at MG UK some of who seem to be terrible at comms, Mr Smart, I’m looking at you. They are relying on the dealer network for the comms, I’ve been told this in writing, but guess what, the dealer network ain’t great in some cases either plus they must have competing pressures and almost conflicts i.e hitting targets, keeping cx‘s happy while no doubt getting the same poor and inconsistent comms that we do. I still think the MG4 is a great car but these communications issue are the price the customer has to pay, we can’t actually have our cake and eat it or perhaps have our car and drive it in some cases 😂

At least it is not a recall for all mg4's as you get a lot with new cars at other brands I think the mg are getting it right in all aspects with all the ev's and the grrrr ice cars 🤔👌🤣👍

So, if I understand it correctly, I have to wait until my drive is ruined by the oil leak before the breather pipe will be changed?

Not that the dealer is bothering to reply to my emails at the moment, but can I insist they fit the new breather pipe before I take delivery rather than using my drive as a test bed?

So, if I understand it correctly, I have to wait until my drive is ruined by the oil leak before the breather pipe will be changed?

Not that the dealer is bothering to reply to my emails at the moment, but can I insist they fit the new breather pipe before I take delivery rather than using my drive as a test bed?
Yes, I believe it means you can't insist if there's no signs of an oil leak. Not every car gets the oil leak. MG's wording implies that the dealer cannot order a new breather without the oil leak diagnosis first.

Been to dealer to get an update with the collection as they giving me their showroom car but they say they waiting for the part to be replace before they release it, about 2 weeks they said.

Attachments

• 877FFBFB-A438-4386-A5E4-8D5A26A94216.jpeg
    877FFBFB-A438-4386-A5E4-8D5A26A94216.jpeg
    391.2 KB · Views: 107
It makes me wonder if there was a batch of faulty breather valves or breather valves for a different transfer box but they don't know which cars they have been fitted to.
Is there a link between this and the bulge in the undertray?

It doesn't sound like the breather is faulty in terms of engineering, it is the design that is the problem, hence why they are adding a long pipe. I presume they didn't detect this in the Asian cars because the motor/gearbox are different.

The undertray is a separate issue and has its own thread. MG have said they will manufacture a new undertray but have not said when or whether they will retrofit.

I agree with and understand what you are saying I think the best plan of action would be to speak with your dealer.

As we know and have done for some while there is good and not so good in the dealer network, and it appears lots of them are coming at this issue in different ways so that’s why I say speak to them in the first place ( God I’m beginning to sounds like someone from MGs head office ) but it’s all you can do as far as I can see at the moment.

Just popped into the POLL results that was started by tsedge on the 11th of this month we now have,
50 votes,
25 have or have not seen any leaks,
21 have a leak but don’t yet know where from
So not every car has leaks our car is one of them so far but not many miles done as yet
Les

Understand the hype on the leak, but remember not ALL the cars have this issue. Get it, drive it and enjoy it. By the time you get it and IF it did leak then get a new one fitted.

Understand the hype on the leak, but remember not ALL the cars have this issue. Get it, drive it and enjoy it. By the time you get it and IF it did leak then get a new one fitted.
Sure, but I'd rather be proactive and prevent the possibility of a leak in the first place, rather than do a few hundred miles then have to get the fix fitted and try and get oil off my drive.

Sure, but I'd rather be proactive and prevent the possibility of a leak in the first place, rather than do a few hundred miles then have to get the fix fitted and try and get oil off my drive.
Suggest talking to your dealer and trying to persuade them then. Perhaps they can flag an oil leak even if they can't see one?

There is still something that doesn't add up from an engineering perspective.
If all UK cars come out of the factory with the same oil level and breather design there is nothing arbitrary about whether a problem should manifest. There must be a variable that's occurring at their end and the only thing that comes to mind for me is how much oil they put in the gearbox at its first fill.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 538 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back