MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

At this point I realised the 'Teflon' nature of MGs' attitude towards customers problems.
In contrast the dealer has been very understanding and appreciates why we have lost confidence in keeping the car and has handled the rejection well, agreeing to return our part-ex ZS to us and a full refund of what we've paid. That is proper customer service.
Teflon, perfect description. I was fobbed off by Mr Smart repeatedly and he then simply stopped replying. I really like driving my MG4 despite the many issues I have had and continue to have. I am a first time purchaser of MG and almost certainly will not buy another. Not because of the dealer, because of the Teflon approach to issues at corporate level.

Had a phone call with the dealer today, still waiting for the parts.
And dealer said they don't have the delivery date, they will let me know as soon as they received the parts.
The load car now has been extended to Friday this week.
Another phone call today, parts still not arrive and they are extending the loan car by another week.

Last edited by a moderator:
finally collect my MG4 today, pre-warned i would be checking the check list.....seems like it was properly prepped and sales guy was pro-active in checking the forum and the list :D parked up, will take for a drive later and then wait and see if any oil.......also i'll be away for xmas to will have to wait till jan 2 to get some miles done.....drive home was really good :)
1671116168526.png

Where is the poll Les ? I'll add my 'new breather fitted but still leaks' vote, before I return the car to dealer tomorrow and get our old ZS back.
Sorry mate only just looked on here been a bit busy this morning with elderly neighbours and frozen pipes but I note siteguru as posted the information thanks siteguru 👍 yeh sorry to here your talking it back but I can’t blame you it’s ridiculous that’s for sure.
Two neighbours came this morning had no water this is going to happen more and more I feel one woman 96 frightened to put the heating on and an other one the same try to keep one room warm by using just the gas fire we live in bungalows and the water comes in at the front of the property’s then goes up into the loft space and runs to the rear where the kitchen and bathrooms are last night -8 here and the pipes had frozen in the loft I have try to explain to them both they need heating even on low to stop it happening again but they are very worried about there gas bills
Les.

I had read these posts before placing an order for my MG 4 EV Trophy. I duly expressed my concerns to the dealership and was told by the sales manager, that it was an issue with a small number of cars earlier in the year, confined to a ‘batch’ that had recently been imported. He agreed that the breather pipe was an issue but would be rectified on my vehicle when my collection was due. I again mentioned the problem of this unanswerable drip yesterday before handover, asking if the modified breather pipe had been fitted and I was told that instructions from Head Office was not to be overly concerned. “All is now fine” I was confidently assured. Well, I drove home the 100 miles or so from the dealership, checked under the car this afternoon……. well do I really need to say what I found? Exactly as all other contributors have mentioned…. a spattered undertray with some drips on the drive. One drop was about to drop and with my torch, it could clearly be seen as a semi transparent oil - a type of gearbox oil! I am awaiting advice from the dealers as this message goes to press!! Frustrated for sure!

My drive is a fairly steep slope and my car is parked facing down the drive. I found a run of fluid going from back to front of the rear undertray - a touch and sniff told me right away that it was gear oil.

My car goes in tomorrow for the drain, refill and breather mod.

Hi all oil leak update time again.

Total now stand at 87 up 5 from last week.
39 do not have an oil leak that’s up 1.

7 had a leak from bringing overfilled 0 change

35 have a leak but don’t know where from that up 2

1 have an oil leak and it’s more serious

5 had an oil leak that was fixed with a new breather up 1
Les.

I had read these posts before placing an order for my MG 4 EV Trophy. I duly expressed my concerns to the dealership and was told by the sales manager, that it was an issue with a small number of cars earlier in the year, confined to a ‘batch’ that had recently been imported. He agreed that the breather pipe was an issue but would be rectified on my vehicle when my collection was due. I again mentioned the problem of this unanswerable drip yesterday before handover, asking if the modified breather pipe had been fitted and I was told that instructions from Head Office was not to be overly concerned. “All is now fine” I was confidently assured. Well, I drove home the 100 miles or so from the dealership, checked under the car this afternoon……. well do I really need to say what I found? Exactly as all other contributors have mentioned…. a spattered undertray with some drips on the drive. One drop was about to drop and with my torch, it could clearly be seen as a semi transparent oil - a type of gearbox oil! I am awaiting advice from the dealers as this message goes to press!! Frustrated for sure!
Hi Brian I see your new here so first off welcome to the forum sorry to here you to have the dreaded oil leak on your new car I just don’t understand dealers still denying this issue and allowing new cars to go out and I hope you get your sorted soon
Question for you there is a poll running on here you will find it if you go to forum MG4 and in that list you will find MG4 Oil leak poll part 1 that is where you can vote if you don’t mind.
Les

Strange that they are raising the price by £1000 and still not proactively fitting the new breather to new cars before handing them over.
A trophy with non standard paint will be over £33k and people will still have to regularly get on their hands and knees and check for an oil leak. Hopefully this changes soon.

Strange that they are raising the price by £1000 and still not proactively fitting the new breather to new cars before handing them over.
A trophy with non standard paint will be over £33k and people will still have to regularly get on their hands and knees and check for an oil leak. Hopefully this changes soon.
Well, I can certainly say that in my case, the new breather has been fitted prior to pickup. Perhaps I'm just one of the lucky ones with a proactive dealer?

Where are you getting "over £33k" from? Top price is the Trophy in Red or Orange at £32,190.

(It might be over £33k for cars ordered from January onwards ... if the mooted £1k price rise comes about).

I believe they are from the factory but so many caught in the delays on ships and ports that we've had weeks of cars still arriving without the breather fitted.

Alot of cars will have been manufactured prior to the new breather being made, some people have collected cars in the last month that were actually built in July this year.

Where are you getting "over £33k" from? Top price is the Trophy in Red or Orange at £32,190.

(It might be over £33k for cars ordered from January onwards ... if the mooted £1k price rise comes about).
Hence the reason I said will be, meaning from January.
I was under the impression from Facebook that the £1000 increase has been confirmed by some dealers

I believe they are from the factory but so many caught in the delays on ships and ports that we've had weeks of cars still arriving without the breather fitted.
Totally agree which is why I was saying MG should have been proactive and just fitted it to all cars before handover until the factory fitted ones start arriving

I notified the dealer of the leak today. Earliest I can get in is Friday for them to assess before they can even order the part, which will then be well into the new year as they shut down over Christmas. I will also be submitting an invoice for cleaning my block paving, it was sold knowing the problem would happen and the delay on the parts is just causing additional damage to my drive. They probably won't care but I'm going to try anyway!

I notified the dealer of the leak today. Earliest I can get in is Friday for them to assess before they can even order the part, which will then be well into the new year as they shut down over Christmas. I will also be submitting an invoice for cleaning my block paving, it was sold knowing the problem would happen and the delay on the parts is just causing additional damage to my drive. They probably won't care but I'm going to try anyway!
"it was sold knowing the problem" you should probably rephrase it, if you learned about the leak from the dealer prior to the purchase then you lose some consumer rights.

Last edited:
Had a call from the dealer .. the part hasn't arrived yet. They confirmed it had shipped from MG but it was sent Royal Mail so they haven't actually got it yet 🙄

When speaking with them they confirmed that a mandatory software update had dropped .. for the "locked in" fix. They also said that one customer had suffered a lock in issue, though they said this was a non-responsive driver door handle rather than a total lock in, as access was possible via the passenger door.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 536 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back