MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

Funnily enough, my dealer was OK to take me on my word when I reported the oil leak - they haven't seen it themselves yet went ahead and ordered the kit.
To add to the inconsistent way this has been handled by the MG dealer network, my car has had the new breather fitted by the dealer before I have even collected it.

To add to the inconsistent way this has been handled by the MG dealer network, my car has had the new breather fitted by the dealer before I have even collected it.
I think we’ve got basically reports of every situation possible.

Some are fitted before collection
Some need to be reported before they will repair
Some are being done while the car is in for something else, regardless of whether there’s a leak

My new breather was fitted before I even collected the car too, but the dealer said that was because it showed signs of an oil leak, and they also said that MG wouldn't send them the new breather without seeing photos and videos of the leak first.

Due to pick up my MG4 Trophy on Wednesday. Phoned dealer this morning to check that all updates are being done. Asked if they had fitted the new breather as I had requested. Sales Manager tells me that my car shouldn't be affected as it was a small batch of cars that had been overfilled with diff oil at Portbury docks.

Is that BS?

Due to pick up my MG4 Trophy on Wednesday. Phoned dealer this morning to check that all updates are being done. Asked if they had fitted the new breather as I had requested. Sales Manager tells me that my car shouldn't be affected as it was a small batch of cars that had been overfilled with diff oil at Portbury docks.

Is that BS?
They all tell a different story. I asked for mine to be fitted with the new breather before delivery and they told me the same. But if that was true, then why would there be a modification? Either way, I didn't get the breather and think the information from the dealers is appallingly bad. The dealer guy on the video here said he had completely different comms to what my dealer said.

Why oh why is MG being so stupid about the whole breather thing, the cars should be consistent, if new ones form factory are coming with breathers then old cars should automatically be retrofitted to prevent any more issues. Stuff like this i feel other manufacturers would have been proactive with.

I could maybe understand their reluctance if it’s was a very expensive part being retro fitted, but it’s not going to cost any more than £20 for the part and maybe a hour labour.

At the very mininium Dealers should be allowed to keep a few in stock ready to go.

They all tell a different story. I asked for mine to be fitted with the new breather before delivery and they told me the same. But if that was true, then why would there be a modification? Either way, I didn't get the breather and think the information from the dealers is appallingly bad. The dealer guy on the video here said he had completely different comms to what my dealer said.
At least my dealer was honest. They said if it was up to them they would fit the new breather on all cars that left their dealership, but MG wouldn't let them, so they have to go through the rigmarole of proving each car has a leak (by way of photos and videos to MG), in order to get the new breather to fit.

Ought to get your dealer to squirt some oil underneath if necessary so that they can get it past MG. The alternative is to drive around until the problem manifests itself, and then have to take it back when less convenient.

Why oh why is MG being so stupid about the whole breather thing, the cars should be consistent, if new ones form factory are coming with breathers then old cars should automatically be retrofitted to prevent any more issues. Stuff like this i feel other manufacturers would have been proactive with.

I could maybe understand their reluctance if it’s was a very expensive part being retro fitted, but it’s not going to cost any more than £20 for the part and maybe a hour labour.

At the very mininium Dealers should be allowed to keep a few in stock ready to go.
The only logical thought here is they can't produce enough to retrospectively fit to all, that said they have probably had time to sort that now.

The cars are driven on and off the ship so they should have oil in them.

Is that BS?
If they're that confident that that's all the issue is.
Tell them fine but if it leaks you'll be rejecting it.
Might kick their arses into gear.
Definitely not overfill.
Both my MG4's leaked before I rejected them and here I am nearly 3 months later and still have oil all over my block pave driveway.
You're handing over the best part of £30k
Least they can do is be honest with you.

I hope so considering they had the car for a month prior to handover!

Edit, I contacted the dealer last night and await an update. Have a list of issues for them to go through too!
Quick update - taking my car to the dealer tomorrow as this was the earliest opening they had.

Very quick response from the dealer to be fair, so they’re to be commended and was offered a courtesy car to minimise my inconvenience.

Have a list of minor issues for them to look at as well, the worst of which is the boot which has refused to open 4 times so far!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back