MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

I noticed yesterday that mine has started to leak at the rear, spoke with dealer who booked it in first thing this morning and have done a temporary fix whilst they wait for the replacement part, apparently service departments have all been made aware of this issue from MG
How long have you had the car?

Well all lastest from the oil leak poll is
Total now is 90 up 3 from last week.

40 do not have or have not seen a oil leak up 1

7 had the leak from being over filled 0 no change

35 have a leak but don’t know the cause 0 no change

2 had the leak but it is something more serious up 1

6 had the leak and it was fixed with a new breather up.1

Total of 90
Les

I think it is sad that people are cancelling over issues they haven’t had, just because of what they’ve read here.

I doubt they have looked into the problems with the competition they end up buying as long as they looked at issues reported on the MG4.

I wish everyone the best with their choices.

unfortunately the oil leak isn't fixed yet is it? If MG had recalled and fitted it to every car and every new one that arrived I would agree it's fixed, but they have adopted a wait and see if it leaks attitude to it which unfortunately means it's rumbling on rather sorted, which it could have been.
I have had numerous cars in my life, some aftercare has been better than others but I have never been told that they all do that or that's the design.
Anyway enjoy Christmas when it comes as we could just go round in circles here.

unfortunately the oil leak isn't fixed yet is it? If MG had recalled and fitted it to every car and every new one that arrived I would agree it's fixed, but they have adopted a wait and see if it leaks attitude to it which unfortunately means it's rumbling on rather sorted, which it could have been.
I have had numerous cars in my life, some aftercare has been better than others but I have never been told that they all do that or that's the design.
Personally I don’t care how they fix the oil leak, if it leaks there is a fix is good enough for me. It does not affect using the car. You’d think ICE cars never had leaks!!

Indeed, have a great xmas and new year and I respect your choices and wish you many happy years of motoring.

Every car that has been delivered and is being delivered in the UK is from before the issue appeared, I collected mine on the 16th dec, but it was built in August.

I imagine mg will rectify on all new builds.

The fix if it breaks approach isn't actually that uncommon as it isn't a dangerous fault, and currently there probably isn't enough breathers available to fit to all cars especially those that are showing no issues to press.

My personal view is that the oil leak has been handled very badly by MG. OK they came up with a belt & braces fix very quickly but to not make sure this fix is applied to all cars is a major mistake. They should not be releasing cars to customers when they know it might leak. The fix is cheap , so fit it before delivery and the car then probably will not leak. This to me is just common sense and will improve customers perception of service instead this problem just drags on month after month.

Was messing around with Google translate and came across a few MG forums. Looks like several of them are also having this issue….. and the bulge issue.

Attachments

• 34A75DE4-2C69-4ED9-9C2D-5E93C4F740AC.png
    34A75DE4-2C69-4ED9-9C2D-5E93C4F740AC.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 143
  • D9F1AD28-388D-46E2-99BB-1F967698BD60.png
    D9F1AD28-388D-46E2-99BB-1F967698BD60.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 140
  • 332D9DB5-A5C3-4248-A382-5C3C32AD2057.png
    332D9DB5-A5C3-4248-A382-5C3C32AD2057.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 152
  • 75AFC7F9-3CF3-480C-80BF-FB89F83CAE9D.png
    75AFC7F9-3CF3-480C-80BF-FB89F83CAE9D.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Looking like its a phone call to the dealers when they reopen. Ive had our MG4 5 days and its showing the oil leak. It has a manufacture date of 10/05/2022
I guess the dealer didn't fit the modified breather before you had it?

If every new car leaving the factory is eventually going to have the new breather then just fit it to all cars, at the dealers, before handing the car over.
Going over old ground here but it is such a simple, cheap, fix. And avoids all the inconvenience and annoyance of checking, running backwards and forwards to the dealer and cleaning driveways

Hopefully this post is on topic😉

If every new car leaving the factory is eventually going to have the new breather then just fit it to all cars, at the dealers, before handing the car over.
Going over old ground here but it is such a simple, cheap, fix. And avoids all the inconvenience and annoyance of checking, running backwards and forwards to the dealer and cleaning driveways

Hopefully this post is on topic😉
I agree and some dealers, including mine, are fitting the modified breathers during the PDI check.

I agree and some dealers, including mine, are fitting the modified breathers during the PDI check.
This is definitely more of a positive reflection on individual dealerships, I think It would give me a lot more confidence if my dealer was adopting this practice.
Hopefully it means you have got a good one!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 519 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back