MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

I asked and this was his response:

‘The oil leak issue as far as we are aware has been resolved with all new orders before they are delivered to us.’
Yeah, that's what they told me too. They are very careful in not saying exactly how the matter has been resolved but when pushed it seems their 'solution' is just to put a bit less oil in and swap breather only if owners complain. Problem is that likely means that you get a soiled driveway and have to make 2 additional trips to the dealer.

Status update, late October car, leaked spotted about 700 miles, Z shaped breather fitted mid November. Car now just under 3,000, I've checked and had the dealer confirm when it had its lock in recall update yesterday - no oil leak. I'm happy this one is for the history books for me anyway.

Did anyone else that has had this happen have the reason confirmed, for example error in fitting or is it the breather just not working as it should, due to style/type of driving, or the fact that as has been said it's more of a temp fix (bit of hose botched together) and the breather actually needs a proper redesign.

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming the leak was actually from the breather, it could be that the connection to the gearbox was not properly sealed when it was installed. It's also possible that the oil level in the gearbox may be too high.

Member states a month from it being fitted, not sure how often it has been checked, my initial though was an error in fitting or it working itself loose (slightly) therefore the oil coming out the join.
I do recall a couple of other members saying their cars were leaking again but can't remember any update as to the potential cause/reason

Member states a month from it being fitted, not sure how often it has been checked, my initial though was an error in fitting or it working itself loose (slightly) therefore the oil coming out the join.
I do recall a couple of other members saying their cars were leaking again but can't remember any update as to the potential cause/reason
Since we picked the car on 23rd Dec after the leaking fix, I have been keeping eyes on the driveway to check oil leaking every 2-3 days. But due to the weather and wet driveway (plus we were away from home last week), I can't confirm when the leaking started again. Only confirmed yesterday when the driveway is dry and I can clearly see fresh oil on the driveway.

only 450miles on the clock now, it was about 200 miles when the leaking was fixed.

Last edited:
Not good and would be interested to hear what your dealers thinks the issue is

I will be following this thread closely re oil leak issues and software disabling quirks as the MG4 is due in Australia within a few months and if there are still issues I can almost guarantee dealers here will deny knowledge of it.
That will be the deal breaker regarding my prospective purchase as I am not going down the track of possibly dealing with a faulty brand new vehicle as many others here have had to do sadly. :cautious:
These cars started rolling out in China last June so it will be nearly 12 months from then that they will be arriving in Oz so plenty of time to sort out so called 'teething' problems with oil leak and software issues in my view.

Last edited:
Is there anyone on here who's bought an MG4 from Dickson's in Inverness, that has discovered the oil leak and how it's been dealt with?

I was emailed by the them on Jan 12th saying they would have an update on delivery the following week but I've heard nothing since. I've dealt with them on a number of occasions over the years and up 'til now they've been good.

I found the oil leak from my car within 48 hours from new. Took 3 weeks to have breather pipe replaced, oil refilled. Now within the week I am having it back, new oil patches found on my driveway.

I found the oil leak from my car within 48 hours from new. Took 3 weeks to have breather pipe replaced, oil refilled. Now within the week I am having it back, new oil patches found on my driveway.
Not good that's 2 in 2 days re cars leaking after the breather has been fitted, hopefully it's just down to not being fitted correctly

I am needing some advice as picked up my MG4 a week ago and spotted on Tuesday that it had leaked all over the drive. I reckon it was leaking after my trip home (30miles on motorway mainly).
Called the garage on Monday, they took it in yesterday and have given me a ZS courtesy car saying it might take until today to sort it out.
Rang today and was told they have photo’d but had to order the part (presumable the breather pipe) from MG and it might take up to 4weeks but I could pick up my car.
My inclination is to hold onto the courtesy car until the fix is complete to save more of a mess on my drive and to ensure it is fixed as quickly as possible. They are also sorting out messages about tyre pressure but not doing anything about the bulging under carriage (I am not too worried about that).
It seems there is just one technician at the dealership and a backlog of folk waiting for work on their cars!
I am fast losing confidence in the car. Would/have others held on to the courtesy car until it’s fixed?
I attach photo of my drive after 4 days.
Many Thanks this forum is really helpful.

Attachments

• F6EB7BD9-9AE0-4083-A29D-49917DD4669E.jpeg
    F6EB7BD9-9AE0-4083-A29D-49917DD4669E.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 100
We have the same story.
Which dealer did the fix for you? Mine was Wayland Volvo Newbury.

I am needing some advice as picked up my MG4 a week ago and spotted on Tuesday that it had leaked all over the drive. I reckon it was leaking after my trip home (30miles on motorway mainly).
Called the garage on Monday, they took it in yesterday and have given me a ZS courtesy car saying it might take until today to sort it out.
Rang today and was told they have photo’d but had to order the part (presumable the breather pipe) from MG and it might take up to 4weeks but I could pick up my car.
My inclination is to hold onto the courtesy car until the fix is complete to save more of a mess on my drive and to ensure it is fixed as quickly as possible. They are also sorting out messages about tyre pressure but not doing anything about the bulging under carriage (I am not too worried about that).
It seems there is just one technician at the dealership and a backlog of folk waiting for work on their cars!
I am fast losing confidence in the car. Would/have others held on to the courtesy car until it’s fixed?
That's not the best, genuinely though they had got past the point now of sending cars out without the modification.
Have they said you can keep the courtesy car? If so that's a decision for you to make with regards paying for fuel to use it whilst paying for an electric car.
That's a fair bit of dribbling on your drive though, I'd be pushing for the dealer to sort it out for you.

It‘s not great when your new car leaks oil on your drive. Not what you expect.
Others who have had the leak have been told that they can use their car and have chosen to continue to use it and some have put a tray under their car to protect the driveway. Again not really what you expect to have to do. It’s also irritating that on a well known issue it is still occurring and taking so long to put right.
It’s your call really - personally I would continue in the courtesy car - I assume that it’s an EV? - until the 4 is sorted - but that’s my view.
As far as losing confidence, I would stick with it as it can be sorted and the 4 is a good car overall. It shouldn’t leak oil but all cars can have issues and hopefully it will be sorted soon. The weak link is, I’m afraid the MG dealer network and MG support when encountering issues.

That's not the best, genuinely though they had got past the point now of sending cars out without the modification.
Have they said you can keep the courtesy car? If so that's a decision for you to make with regards paying for fuel to use it whilst paying for an electric car.
That's a fair bit of dribbling on your drive though, I'd be pushing for the dealer to sort it out for you.
I will try that re the drive, the dealer is good and has asked for photos already. Luckily, the courtesy car is an Ev ZS
Re the drive it would have helped if I had consistently parked in the same place 😂

As said it's not what you'd be expecting and it's your drive you can park where you like👍

It‘s not great when your new car leaks oil on your drive. Not what you expect.
Others who have had the leak have been told that they can use their car and have chosen to continue to use it and some have put a tray under their car to protect the driveway. Again not really what you expect to have to do. It’s also irritating that on a well known issue it is still occurring and taking so long to put right.
It’s your call really - personally I would continue in the courtesy car - I assume that it’s an EV? - until the 4 is sorted - but that’s my view.
As far as losing confidence, I would stick with it as it can be sorted and the 4 is a good car overall. It shouldn’t leak oil but all cars can have issues and hopefully it will be sorted soon. The weak link is, I’m afraid the MG dealer network and MG support when encountering issues.
Thanks Cocijo, that’s good advice 😊

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 470 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 79 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 45 7.6%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel