MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

A bunch of off topic stuff has been removed.
Try to keep to the subject (y)

Can't even remember what was written

Mine is now leaking oil on the drive, having had the new breather fitted before first car pick up 😞
Colsky sorry to hear that again hopefully human error in fitting. As has been pointed out by one of more engineering minded members it might need a redesign

I will try that re the drive, the dealer is good and has asked for photos already. Luckily, the courtesy car is an Ev ZS
Re the drive it would have helped if I had consistently parked in the same place 😂
At least you’ve been given the choice. My dealer told me to use the AA to get a courtesy car which I had access to for 2 days as per AA’s policy on offering a courtesy car. The dealer didn’t offer me a courtesy car at all and said they would only do so if MG themselves authorised the expense for it. MG wouldn’t authorise it because they said my MG4 was safe to drive with the oil coming out. So their only concern was safety and didn’t care one bit about the inconvenience or the damage done to anything the oil might land on. So I just went without the car and left it at the garage.

When I got the car back, it was the end of the day in the dark, I picked it up, took it home. Next day I could see it was absolutely caked in mud from where they’d stored it in a field or whatever their overflow parking is. They didn’t bother cleaning it so I had light coloured mud about a cm thick lining all four wheel arches and up the sides of the tires and the car. I have been far from impressed so far.

Is there anyone on here who's bought an MG4 from Dickson's in Inverness, that has discovered the oil leak and how it's been dealt with?

I was emailed by the them on Jan 12th saying they would have an update on delivery the following week but I've heard nothing since. I've dealt with them on a number of occasions over the years and up 'til now they've been good.
Ordered Red Trophy early November to avoid interest and price hikes. Paperwork all done. Await delivery; was told 16 weeks and purchase documents show last week in Feb. Asked sales a few days ago by phone for update. No info on build / shipping status indeed was warned it might be several more weeks. Not unduly bothered right now and a March reg is what I’d planned on anyway. No trade in so present vehicle will take brunt of winter road conditions and updates >maybe< simplified the longer it goes. No issue with Dicksons, they don't know and are honest about it. Of course, there may come a time….

031E5029-DFF1-4E21-A425-66C35960D5E9.jpeg

Ignoring for a moment the slight bulge in the undercarriage 🤭
Do the shiny streaks emanating from the rear look like the dreaded oil leak?

The only constant about MG servicing is their inconsistency. 🙄

I drove mine for 6 weeks after reporting the leak and awaiting the breather part to arrive. There was no suggestion of not being able to drive it.

As part of the fix they recorded having to top up the oil by 0.2l (200ml).

Colsky I take it you previously had the leak, curious what kind of driving do you do?
Slow speeds small distances or longer drives quicker roads?
Curious as I remember a member mentioning that the leak could be brought about by longer faster drives and an obvious build up of pressure.
If people's drives were shorter and slower then this might not occur hence why it's not happened to everyone. Could be the reason it's still happening, although it shouldn't be.

View attachment 15008View attachment 15009
This is mine. Per garage, MG assistance have to recover car to them as not safe to drive.
Thanks for this photo, much clearer what I am looking for.
The oil does tend to go the other way, basically backwards with the momentum of the car
Ah, yes, that makes sense.
Is it parked on a slight decline?
It is slight, not much.
Of course I’m hoping it isn’t the leak, but being in gravel I’m not sure I’d notice staining from drips so trying to work out how I would know.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 492 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back