MG4 Rumbling and vibration

I’m in Sydney. I have left the car with them to sort it out and don’t want it back until they sort it. Just frustrating, the loan MG 4 64 has it as well but not as bad.
No problem I am west coast and was going to suggest a drive comparison so that won't work. Hope you get to the bottom of it and interesting you noticed it in the 64 as well. Is it the same type of vibration though? I am wondering if it's a general issue with motor vibration thru drivetrain or similar. Reason worse in xpower because it has 2 x motor so 2x vibration?? Just a theory...

I want to provide an update. Service representatives mentioned that they have identified the balance/vibration issue in MG4 vehicles sent to Turkey to be related to the rims. They talked about a replacement, but there hasn't been any action taken yet. Many people have parked their vehicles in the garage and can't use them. I'm also sharing a picture of the rims in the vehicles sent to Turkey.
Part of the problem might be how the tyres have been fitted.
That yellow spot on the sidewall is supposed to be in the same place as the valve, because it marks the lightest part of the tyre.
See Tyres Explained: Red Dot vs Yellow Dot!

Are they not able to fit another set of wheels from a different car, that does not have Bridgestones fitted ????.
Quick road test will provide the answer if it’s the tyres or not - simple ?.

I just bought new 4 winter tires, that are continental wintercontact t870p. However, from 125km/h to top speed, there is a big rumbling :( on the other hand, this rumbling seems to cause vibration, but not at streeing wheel, it is on all cabin.

I just bought new 4 winter tires, that are continental wintercontact t870p. However, from 125km/h to top speed, there is a big rumbling :( on the other hand, this rumbling seems to cause vibration, but not at streeing wheel, it is on all cabin.
Bit late for you, but if you are looking at winter tyres do check out either Michelin cross climate 2 or continental all season contact 2. They are both all season and are new generation, being great for summer or winter (they are legally conforming to winter tyre standards (and have the correct winter markings). Plus they are excellent for power economy and low sound (db). The new all season tyres really are a game changer.
I have changed to continental all season contact 2's for my ZS, which has transformed the handling of the car and shall consider options for the MG4 before next winter

This test before the new continental all season contact 2's were released, they are very good.

Bit late for you, but if you are looking at winter tyres do check out either Michelin cross climate 2 or continental all season contact 2. They are both all season and are new generation, being great for summer or winter (they are legally conforming to winter tyre standards (and have the correct winter markings). Plus they are excellent for power economy and low sound (db). The new all season tyres really are a game changer.
I have changed to continental all season contact 2's for my ZS, which has transformed the handling of the car and shall consider options for the MG4 before next winter

This test before the new continental all season contact 2's were released, they are very good.
As I said before, I have just bought my winter tires :( I think, continental winter tires are relatively has hard stuff. Because, these are rumbling on the high speed :( If I will keep my car, I think that buy michelin for summer.

@ all the people here who get rumble from the tyres and vibration in the car, search for nearby tyre stations that have a Hunter roadforce balancing machine. They can spot bad production tyres and also flattend tyres, it also produces a scheme where to put the tyre on the rim, position on the car.
On YT there are a lot of videos about how this procedure works.
I did this test In Belguim - I had only 1 good tyre !!!! The 3 others were rubbish.

Last edited:
This is a very old thread, you’re responding to a post from November and it had been resolved since that post.
It was the tyres on mine, 100%
I changed to Goodyear vector all season and the vibration went.
Pleased for you.
Put Winter rated All Season tyres on mine and it made zero difference.

One of the replies above mentioned rear wheel alignment is out….and so’s mine. Also by a lot.

My local tyre place uses Hunter wheel alignment kit and software (as do most).

Adjustment for the front is allowed by tyre centres but rears, not. Has to be done by main dealer.

My tyre place who for reasons too boring to go into I trust implicitly, reckon it left the factory like this. Not impossible.

Having done various tests, I’m still confident the rumbling is caused by air passing through the various bits of poorly fitted plastic underneath, or even the aero holes in the front bumper.

But knowing the rear tracking/alignment is out I’m going to try to get that sorted first as it will be mucking about with tyre wear and handling.

My local tyre place uses Hunter wheel alignment kit and software (as do most).

Anyone got a link to a location map of Hunter Roadforce Balancing units in the UK ?

I can't seem to find one using Google

Looking for one near Leeds, West Yorkshire

According to my dealer my tyres suffer from flat spots, so called boot tyres. That should be the cause for the vibration and rumble. They will put 4 new ones on it.

Last edited:
According to my dealer my tyres suffer from flat spots, so called boot tyres. That should be the cause for the vibration and rumble. They will put 4 new ones on it.
At my request they put new Pirelli all seasons on it and balanced them. Completely different tyre but the vibes and rumble are gone up to at least 115kmh (too much traffic to decently test at higher speeds).
It does look the car still pulls to the left. But we have stormy wind now. So it's hard to judge.

Hey. Had this is issue. It’s 100% not the tyres.
It’s the undertrays on some MG4s not being fitted and secured properly. Depending on the wind direction, your direction of travel and your speed, it catches them and flaps them causing the vibration.
Just need taking off and refitting. Yet to have them done on mine.
I'm not sure about this.
My first MG4 was an SR SE. This was one of the first ones in the country and had the bulging undertray. However there was no rumbling and vibration. It was totally smooth.

When I got my XPower, I noticed it right away, checked the undertray and it's fitted correctly.

I'd love to shove a GoPro underneath at speed to check but don't have the kit to mount it (and might be too scared anyway).

I took my car into MG a month after I'd had it and they checked most things but they don't have tyre balancing facilities so didn't check that.

Maybe worth a visit to KwikFit...

I'm not sure about this.
My first MG4 was an SR SE. This was one of the first ones in the country and had the bulging undertray. However there was no rumbling and vibration. It was totally smooth.

When I got my XPower, I noticed it right away, checked the undertray and it's fitted correctly.

I'd love to shove a GoPro underneath at speed to check but don't have the kit to mount it (and might be too scared anyway).

I took my car into MG a month after I'd had it and they checked most things but they don't have tyre balancing facilities so didn't check that.

Maybe worth a visit to KwikFit...
Thing is, if it is the undertray causing it under different conditions, the it wasn't the problem on mine. My undertray looks fine. And, I had vibration and rumble whatever direction, speed etc, as long as it was over 50 miles/hr.
That doesn't mean the specific undertray effect does not exist.

Did a Hunter Roadforce check at a tire expert shop and although the right front tyre was not perfect, particularly the right rear was bad. This amongst others explains the vibrations while accelerating.They will soon put a new one on it and I hope that's that.
Also, the steering wasn't perfectly horizontal. After correcting it, a quite strong deviation of the alignment at the front popped up. They fixed but I couldn't test it because of stormy winds.

The guy at the shop said 'these MG's are currently the most sensitive cars to any poor tire fitting'. But after a short test drive they did say it was better than an ID.3. And I tend to agree.

I've noticed that I get a weird subtle rumbling/vibration on my Trophy at low speeds just after I've charged the battery to 80%. It's almost like a brake is slightly sticky or the regen is active, but neither are. It goes away once the battery level ticks down below 80% and it doesn't seem to happen if I do a 100% charge. Heavy electrons?

I've noticed that I get a weird subtle rumbling/vibration on my Trophy at low speeds just after I've charged the battery to 80%. It's almost like a brake is slightly sticky or the regen is active, but neither are. It goes away once the battery level ticks down below 80% and it doesn't seem to happen if I do a 100% charge. Heavy electrons?
Do the heavy electrons also make a sound if the charge drops from 100% to 80%?

Probably the famous Higgs Bosun, who would have thought it could be detected for around 30 grand, the Large Hadron Collider cost hundreds of millions and counting!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back