MG4 Secret Menu Mode...

so I tried tonight to connect the mg4 head unit to my laptop but wasn't able to get a connection via ADB. ADB enable in menu.

I tried via USB and USB-c....the laptop made USB discovery noises when connecting but couldn't see the device from ADB shell (adb devices)....i didnt see a pop up on head until asking to authorise the connection (both phones prompted me)

Know laptop is working as i tested connecting to an android phone and was able to connect and download APK....only slight variable is the USB cable.....

I'll try again tomorrow in the light and see if i can find more cables (and i have an adapter that removes power from USB so its just data)

so I tried tonight to connect the mg4 head unit to my laptop but wasn't able to get a connection via ADB. ADB enable in menu.

I tried via USB and USB-c....the laptop made USB discovery noises when connecting but couldn't see the device from ADB shell (adb devices)....i didnt see a pop up on head until asking to authorise the connection (both phones prompted me)

Know laptop is working as i tested connecting to an android phone and was able to connect and download APK....only slight variable is the USB cable.....

I'll try again tomorrow in the light and see if i can find more cables (and i have an adapter that removes power from USB so its just data)
Hey,

Isn't the ADB only available during development, then removed on final releases ? Or some flags in TrustZone protected fuses to hide it?

If we assume the Infotainment unit is based on some cheap Chinese tablet development platform and it is not that secure, then maybe powering off, then holding one of the physical buttons on the unit while powering on should allow to enter some service or bootloader menu. This again assuming the large screen using some fast interface and needs the Infotainment CPU to be close by (PCB behind the screen).

Or the left USB slot physically connected to that CPU and hardware mapped on bootup, so it could take over execution if an USB stick with correct format and files is present ?

I think there is vast amount of info about jailbreaking Android stuff(XDA Developers), just need to match the internal hardware to something existing.

Anybody figured out how to access on the SE at all yet please? tried pressing a few buttons myself, on some andriod phones its power on and volume down together!

This is a brilliant thread. Any further updates. Keen to figure out if “ditch finder” is an option that can stopped along with setting CarPlay for RHD cars.

I was only looking through it ,never edited anything.
There isn't actually much in there to change.

Just don't reset the car!! lol
Who know what that'll do.....
If fact, it might resolve all the issues! Switch it off and on and all that! :D
Factory reset my MG4 Trophy - and lost navigation - just errors and complains about changing a setting you don't have access to... fix is to:
settings
privacy policy
agree
turn the toggle on for ‘map’
turn the toggle on for ‘voice’
turn the toggle on for ‘online music’.

Other than that, it resets the settings you've customised, so may get you out of trouble if you've experimented too far

Nobody knows yet - at least nobody here has posted how to do it.
AS the original video has been taken down, going to be hard to say - I suspect it's the menu that becomes available after you tap the infotainment version 5 times (passcode then is 200519), there's a number of menus in there that show GPS strength etc, and in the case where your vehicle has not been activated, can fix that... your mileage may vary, this worked on a trophy

Yes - we know that works on a Trophy. It doesn't work on an SE - at least not in the UK version. Hence the question.

I think we'd be better waiting for Carista to work out how to access the OBD2 port.

So how do you access it?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 500 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel