MG4 service - what is covered? Low vs high mileage

NickL

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I am looking at possibly taking out a service plan and note on the MG website that they suggest different levels of service based on annual mileage, e.g. below 10K per year, and 15K per year.

On the higher mileage plan the key batteries are shown as included 2nd and 4th years, but on the lower mileage plan there is no mention of the key batteries.

Similarly brake fluid change is included on Y2 and Y4 for the higher mileage plans, but is only recomended Y2 and Y4 for the lower mileage schedules. Does this make sense?

When getting a quote for a service plan, there is no way to select annual mileage. I would have expected the option for below 10K, and up to 15K.

Do you know what is included in the annual services, in addition to AA roadside assistance and MOTs Y3 onwards. (MOTs are an additional cost).
Thanks.

I took out a three year service plan with my MG dealership, with an annual mileage of 10k. The car had its first service on Wednesday and here is the checklist I was given:
IMG_6983.jpeg
IMG_6984.jpeg

It’s a long range.
Ok thanks. Glad they could correct it.

Discussion about balancing the SR battery pack moved to a new thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
The car was in for nearly five hours and as well as the service, it got seven software updates for an issue with charging not being able to be limited to 80%. All working now.
Wow, the software updates will have been covered by warranty and paid for by MG central as they are not included in your service. Thats probably where the majority of the time was taken up.

Now it's just a "check" they aren't actually servicing the car any more. The 2 year is only more because thy want you to change the brake fluid which IMO is very unlikely to be needed to. The problem the dealers have is servicing was always a big money maker but EVs just don't need the same work so they have are losing a huge chunk of their income.... or just scamming customers and continuing to ask for them to be serviced (Audi wanted £400 for 2 year service plan!)

Brake fluid change every 2 years is standard on any vehicle due to absorbtion of water due to the fluid being hydroscopic.

Wow, the software updates will have been covered by warranty and paid for by MG central as they are not included in your service. Thats probably where the majority of the time was taken up.

Now it's just a "check" they aren't actually servicing the car any more. The 2 year is only more because thy want you to change the brake fluid which IMO is very unlikely to be needed to. The problem the dealers have is servicing was always a big money maker but EVs just don't need the same work so they have are losing a huge chunk of their income.... or just scamming customers and continuing to ask for them to be serviced (Audi wanted £400 for 2 year service plan!)
I doubt that they even did what they said they'd do on mine. In and out in under an hour including up on the lift, video recording of tyres and brake disks, a couple of pages of checklist 'ticks' (lubricate hinges and the like), EV charger test and roadtest.

Brake fluid change every 2 years is standard on any vehicle due to absorbtion of water due to the fluid being hydroscopic.
Yup but is it really needed? I know a number of people who have had their fluid tested and not 1 after 2 years needed their fluid changing at all so agree in theory but in practice I don't think its required, specially when the brakes are being used less and there is less movement etc for the absorption to occur.

It has nothing to do with the 'brakes being used less' or more. It's time dependent. It's a quick service job to maintain one of the most important safety features on the car.

Yup but is it really needed? I know a number of people who have had their fluid tested and not 1 after 2 years needed their fluid changing at all so agree in theory but in practice I don't think its required, specially when the brakes are being used less and there is less movement etc for the absorption to occur.
Yeah, the technician said the brake pads on my car were hardly worn, due to regen braking.

I agree it is common but it is really not needed, nothing has changed to make this more likely in recent years and it has become a money-making scheme for dealers.

Aircon regas is another one they do to make money.

Neither brake fluid not aircon need changing if they are working properly. A hydroscopic test on the brake fluid is enough every few years to see how it is doing and whether water absorption is a problem.

The same thing is now happening to cam belts, which are commonly being changed every 4 or 5 years when they will probably last much longer unless the vehicle is high mileage.

You could say all of this gives peace of mind, that is one way to look at it but I think much of it is to keep garages going.

It's called preventative maintenance. A brake fluid change should't cost much. Here it will be €30-40 and that's every 2 years.

It's called preventative maintenance. A brake fluid change should't cost much. Here it will be €30-40 and that's every 2 years.
Why not change it every year?
Why not change brake discs annually too?
Why not change your tyres at 5mm tread depth?

There is preventative maintenance and then there's pointless early replacement to make money for the garage.

By the way it was £100 to have my Skoda brake fluid changed at the dealer (not that I did it). Yes, it is cheaper at independents, but if it doesn't need doing it is flushing money down the toilet.

Brake discs and tyres aren't hydroscopic. It's also a warranty requirement should one exist on any car as it will be part of the service schedule.

Brake discs and tyres aren't hydroscopic. It's also a warranty requirement should one exist on any car as it will be part of the service schedule.
Many garages offer it as an add-on. For example on my Skoda every service they asked me if I wanted the brake fluid changed and the AC recharged. Neither were required by the manufacturer's service schedule.

I declined every time, but someone not well informed could easily be pressured into having this done thinking it was needed. It wasn't.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 508 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back