MG4 Software Update Thread

I'd be tempted to email MG and ask them to arrange a training session for MG Chorley's technicians
Very good idea, especially as going forward, software updates for electric vehicles is now standard procedure.

Ian, do you think at some point MG will offer over the air updates as Tesla does or is there a good reason (safety? technical difficulties?) for keeping them dealer only?

My Mazda has OTA since day 1 however they have restricted it to infotainment. Whether its by restricted design or confidence we have never found out. MG may be in the same boat. By restricted I mean the ability to roll back, confirm correct installation etc. Even Tesla have issues with bricked cars after updates so it's not all sunshine over there

Very good idea, especially as going forward, software updates for electric vehicles is now standard procedure.

Ian, do you think at some point MG will offer over the air updates as Tesla does or is there a good reason (safety? technical difficulties?) for keeping them dealer only?
I think minor software tweaks will be done over the air but major ones will still be done at the dealers.
I think the problem is that the update needs to be downloaded, stored and checked before updating the car and the car probably hasn't got enough memory to hold the current version and the updated version.

My Mazda has OTA since day 1 however they have restricted it to infotainment. Whether its by restricted design or confidence we have never found out. MG may be in the same boat. By restricted I mean the ability to roll back, confirm correct installation etc. Even Tesla have issues with bricked cars after updates so it's not all sunshine over there
Bricking the car on the driveway would not be a good start to anyone’s day, so I can see why it would be better to have it done in a controlled environment.

I think minor software tweaks will be done over the air but major ones will still be done at the dealers.
I think the problem is that the update needs to be downloaded, stored and checked before updating the car and the car probably hasn't got enough memory to hold the current version and the updated version.
I see, I hadn’t thought about the lack of memory causing problems with the updates.

what is the most upto date software available as supposedly I have a new software installed as first person to trial due to the locking in error and want to check if they are telling truth or lieing to me so I can check what software they have installed

I have had the same, the R30 update did not appear on their system. I wonder if there is a major bug in the R30 update and they have pulled it.

Perhaps they've stopped all software updates while they check that the unlocking software update works then if it is a recall everything will be updated at once.
There again no-one can second guess MG

I took my R29 Trophy in for software updates on Saturday morning, a stressful mixed day 🤣......

Re infotainment apparently that can only be done through the week when MG Technical are open? So I've still got the AA message but I think they may have pulled R30 for now as apparently they connect the car to their system and the car tells them which modules need updates etc.

My infotainment apparently didn't need one which I thought was bizzare but just about every other module needed & was updated, haven't really noticed any difference tbh in driving it but the weather has been awful so haven't used lane assist etc.

On driving away my climate module had basically bricked and nothing to do with climate would work and the tech wasn't sure what was wrong, I think he uploaded it again and thank god it started working, they definitely updated every other module as I had all the app errors and above problem etc.

He said it's a nightmare updating them, they need switched on / off constantly etc.

I was just relieved my car was working properly again but I think I'll just wait until the first service for anymore as I need it for work etc.

Took mine in to get the TPMS sorted . On the way out the Service Manager said "It's come up with an auto hold fault, We'll have to keep it"
I said "I bet you won't" Rebooted the car and the fault cleared.
Hasn't happened since!

Chorley said to me they would need to keep my car to do an update, to be fair they offered a courtesy car. But I said no, I don't want to be a test car if you've never done it before... I need my car so will live with the issues until its a bit more safe to do

Chorley said to me they would need to keep my car to do an update, to be fair they offered a courtesy car. But I said no, I don't want to be a test car if you've never done it before... I need my car so will live with the issues until its a bit more safe to do

Slightly nervous now about picking mine up on Saturday...from Chorley 😶

I'm the same . I can live with the niggles and idiosyncrasies but In can't live without my car. Once everything is sorted and there are tried and tested solutions then they can have my car for a while.

Had a strange one last night after being at the football, it was -4!!
Got back to car and entered as normal. However on start up all looked good but the Drive Control Knob on center console had no lights on, hence unable to select Drive.
Paniced a bit at first, so got out of car and locked it. Waited 30 seconds and opened again. This time all was normal for starting with Drive Knob lights all back on. This bloody car's software is so unstable.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back