MG4 Software Update Thread

Part of the issue is probably that the IT in cars is developed for more different platforms than PCs and that they generally have low levels of physical resources.

Mine is now returned from dealers. Work sheet states updates available, carried out and tested for BCM, BMS, FICM, FVCM, GW, IMCU, IPK, TBOX. App went nuts for a while when they were doing it.

They were generally polite but would not tell me which versions are now installed and were generally quite cagey about giving any info at all. Wouldn't even give me a copy of the work carried out until I insisted. All a bit weird.

Infotainment still showing R29.

I really don’t understand why the infotainment isn’t being upgraded to R30 if they’re upgrading everything else. It’s really strange.

I really don’t understand why the infotainment isn’t being upgraded to R30 if they’re upgrading everything else. It’s really strange.
Me neither. I expect there will be another round of updates after not too long and hopefully there will be OTA infotainment updates starting up.

From what I've read R30 only really resolves the Android pre-production message.

I'll report back on any stability issues with non infotainment updates after I've added some more miles.

Mine is now returned from dealers. Work sheet states updates available, carried out and tested for BCM, BMS, FICM, FVCM, GW, IMCU, IPK, TBOX. App went nuts for a while when they were doing it.

They were generally polite but would not tell me which versions are now installed and were generally quite cagey about giving any info at all. Wouldn't even give me a copy of the work carried out until I insisted. All a bit weird.

Do you actually know all those abbreviations:)
Maybe we could have a thread that lists all these on a sticky post??

Do you actually know all those abbreviations:)
Maybe we could have a thread that lists all these on a sticky post??
Someone posted a screenshot or a video of a service menu that listed all the modules but I can't find it.

FICM = Fuel Injection Control Module, but that wouldn't make sense for an EV 🙄
FVCM = Front View Camera Module?
TBOX = Telematics Box?

FICM (Front Infotainment Control Module)
FVCM FRONT VIEW CAMERA MODULE
GATEWAY MODULE GW
IPK = Instrument Pack
TBOX - telematics box

An MCU is a microcontroller but no idea what the I is for... infotainment, integrated, information or intelligent...make up your own mind

MCU

Automotive-MCU-1-1.png

Last edited:

@AndyM Has your infotainment stopped cycling between screens and can you now get to the settings?
My car has started doing this afternoon on the way home from work.

@AndyM Has your infotainment stopped cycling between screens and can you now get to the settings?
My car has started doing this afternoon on the way home from work.

Two options that have worked for people who have had this issue.

1. Go to the radio section and select a DAB station.

2. Factory reset from settings.

I just don't get with modern hardware and USB interfaces rather than CD's and old style serial ports how it can supposedly need to be left plugged in overnight.
I know what you mean, but assuming it is similar to the ZS, it isn't a case of simply running an installer from a usb drive. The car has to be physically connected to servers in China. There is not a single update but various modules that may or may not need updating and there may be a certain order in which these should be applied.

Network issues, time zones, language, supporting documentation, dealer experience and competence all play a part. I'm not excusing MG but it isn't just 'plug and play'.

In my experience MG are quicker to revise their software than many manufactures but their testing may not always be as rigorous, meaning that newer versions can sometimes introduce new bugs or conflicts as well as solving others. Rushing to get the latest software release is not always for the best unless there is a significant issue with your current version of software.

Two options that have worked for people who have had this issue.

1. Go to the radio section and select a DAB station.

2. Factory reset from settings.
Thanks @Gem10 factory reset has done the job and stopped the screen bouncing around and cycling between main and options screen.

Took a few stabs at the relevant screen button with them moving around, and had to reset all the preferences after.
@the briggie maybe one for the helpful hints

I know what you mean, but assuming it is similar to the ZS, it isn't a case of simply running an installer from a usb drive. The car has to be physically connected to servers in China. There is not a single update but various modules that may or may not need updating and there may be a certain order in which these should be applied.

Network issues, time zones, language, supporting documentation, dealer experience and competence all play a part. I'm not excusing MG but it isn't just 'plug and play'.

In my experience MG are quicker to revise their software than many manufactures but their testing may not always be as rigorous, meaning that newer versions can sometimes introduce new bugs or conflicts as well as solving others. Rushing to get the latest software release is not always for the best unless there is a significant issue with your current version of software.

Given that it isn't just the pre-production message its the driver alertness system fault I would quite like to have it working, the car in its current state is not as described and therefore not fit for purpose.

Given that it isn't just the pre-production message its the driver alertness system fault I would quite like to have it working, the car in its current state is not as described and therefore not fit for purpose.
I feel your pain.

Again, based upon my experience with the ZS, the car was released with multiple issues - some MG argued were 'design decisions', others more clearly faults. There was a clamour amongst early adopters for changes to be made and to be fair MG were pretty quick in releasing updates. Most of these updates were an improvement on earlier iterations but then a big bug was introduced that prevented proper battery balancing, resulting in a declining range.

Once recognised it took a further software update and multiple recharge cycles for these owners to recover their full range.

If it isn't too inconvenient to keep popping back to your dealer, and they are happy to do the work FoC, then no harm in getting regular updates. If you can live with some of the little 'foibles' it might be better to wait until a stable software version is released and tested (not that we ever know when that is), or wait until the car is in for service or any other work and request software updates at that point.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 532 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back