MG4 Software Update Thread

Do you have to go back to Chorley if you are struggling or can you go to another dealer for the updates
I could do yes.... but my closest one is St Helens and they are absolutely useless and i'll never go there again. I bought the car from Chorley and they're meant to be good and is one of my other closest dealers.

I called Cheshire oaks and Crewe dealerships when I wanted to order an MG4 an they had no idea.

It baffles me that when you only sell a few different cars and it's your job to know... you don't know much about them as either sales people or service staff.

It's not just the "not knowing", it's the outright lies that they tell to hide the lack of knowledge and their unwillingness to find out.

It's not just the "not knowing", it's the outright lies that they tell to hide the lack of knowledge and their unwillingness to find out.
Yep... if I sold MG4's, I would download the manual and read it one evening over a nice drink or two and learn it. I would also be a member of this forum and each day have a little browse through the comments to keep up to date with whats going on. It doesn't take long and then i'd feel more comfortable to sell and answer questions.

Yep... if I sold MG4's, I would download the manual and read it one evening over a nice drink or two and learn it. I would also be a member of this forum and each day have a little browse through the comments to keep up to date with whats going on. It doesn't take long and then i'd feel more comfortable to sell and answer questions.
And then they would move on to another manufacturer because you are too knowledgeable and honest.....

Hi All,
I Collected my car (its back at the dealer now with faults...whole other thread), its SW versions (as of last Wednesday) are:
Entertainment system: SW168-29958-1300R29
Telecoms: SNAKP18E32.

I have the "pre-production hardware" message.
From the numbers I would assume this is a trophy then.

I could do yes.... but my closest one is St Helens and they are absolutely useless and i'll never go there again. I bought the car from Chorley and they're meant to be good and is one of my other closest dealers.

I called Cheshire oaks and Crewe dealerships when I wanted to order an MG4 an they had no idea.

It baffles me that when you only sell a few different cars and it's your job to know... you don't know much about them as either sales people or service staff.
I'm not sure if it's of any use to you, but we've gone to Gallaghers MG, Sandycroft just over the border in to North Wales. They're a small dealership that have been around for years and I've been satisfied so far. We're still waiting on the car but feel like we're in safe hands with them.

We first went to the Cheshire Oaks dealership as that was nearest but wasn't too impressed, especially when they started giving incorrect information which I had to correct them on.

🙄 I don’t get why they aren’t putting R30 on new cars…
I’ll be testing mine with an android phone when I get it back, no doubt it’ll have the same pre-prod message
It might be down to whether dealers are paid to do the upgrades. I imagine these cars left China before R30 was out. It costs the dealer labour to do the upgrades, are they being paid for it? If they are, it could be that the dealer was too busy to do it and thinks “it is just an upgrade, not important”. Not all dealers will likely know that before R13/R30 is pre-release software.

I was trying to hold off for another batch of updates but my car had a fairly epic freakout yesterday and infotainment is now unusable. The screen toggles between a couple of resolutions and reverts to Home Screen after every couple of seconds so I'm about to get it booked in for breather and whatever software updates are available.

@meicd If you want to update my details on the sheet, delivery date was 28/9/2022.

Issues are infotainment cycling between screens and appearing to switch back and forth between different resolution modes. Radio turning off at random (hold of home button to reset required). Aggressive LKA. Auto hold fault. Drowsiness alert overzealousness. Charges outside of charge schedule. Charge target resets to 100% by itself. CarPlay controls on left as for LHD vehicle.

I'm not sure if it's of any use to you, but we've gone to Gallaghers MG, Sandycroft just over the border in to North Wales. They're a small dealership that have been around for years and I've been satisfied so far. We're still waiting on the car but feel like we're in safe hands with them.
Same. Hopefully our cars arrive soon.

@meicd If you want to update my details on the sheet, delivery date was 28/9/2022.

Issues are infotainment cycling between screens and appearing to switch back and forth between different resolution modes. Radio turning off at random (hold of home button to reset required). Aggressive LKA. Auto hold fault. Drowsiness alert overzealousness. Charges outside of charge schedule. Charge target resets to 100% by itself. CarPlay controls on left as for LHD vehicle.
I had all those faults as well, my dealer ordered a new screen few weeks ago, still waiting for it??
Now only the main screen available, cant swipe to the settings page.
By the way everytime you do a hard reset the chargeing schedules revert to default. That may be why you have chargeing issues.

I had all those faults as well, my dealer ordered a new screen few weeks ago, still waiting for it??
Now only the main screen available, cant swipe to the settings page.
Oh joy. That's not good. I'll keep the thread updated with my progress.

By the way everytime you do a hard reset the chargeing schedules revert to default. That may be why you have chargeing issues.

I noticed that a few weeks back but I confirmed it also happens outside of the resets unfortunately.

We first went to the Cheshire Oaks dealership as that was nearest but wasn't too impressed, especially when they started giving incorrect information which I had to correct them on.
Ok thanks I will keep that in mind

Depends how good the service technicians are and how well they have been trained. Factor in the rather "buggy" MG4 software and then go measure some string I suppose....seriously it can vary depending on knowledge and obstacles

Fair enough, It takes about 20 minutes to go from a bare bones PC to windows 10/11 being ready to go (I have built several over the past few years) I just don't get with modern hardware and USB interfaces rather than CD's and old style serial ports how it can supposedly need to be left plugged in overnight.

Fair enough, It takes about 20 minutes to go from a bare bones PC to windows 10/11 being ready to go (I have built several over the past few years) I just don't get with modern hardware and USB interfaces rather than CD's and old style serial ports how it can supposedly need to be left plugged in overnight.
Also watching how long it takes for a Tesla to download and update it self, I imagine it’s not too long but like @the briggie said, with buggy software already I can imagine in some cases it could be difficult

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back