MG4 Software Update Thread

Get a spare car and let them do it. That is my advice.
Why? Software is useless without hardware. They simply do not know the effects of their software updates on all hardware versions. And my gut feeling is that MG sells cars far too often with different versions or even brands of hardware. And, if a given version IS TESTED to work with the new software yet it does not in on case, they must first exclude hardware faults. So they need the wheel to find out what happens. Then they can possibly fix it.
Unfortunately, this is one of the reason the MG is cheaper than its competitors.
Car now booked in and courtesy car being provided by MG and not the dealer. Dealer a but surprised at this as well but they advise that MG themselves have instructed car be taken off the road and infotainment unit removed and returned for examination. All seems a bit excessive but no choice really as it affects guarantee.

Booked in for my 12 months service in a couple of weeks (SE LR).

Quoted £144.

Dealer said most of the service will be software updates (I haven't requested any).

I'll see what they actually install.

Guy said it would take 1 1/2 hours and I could wait if I wanted to (I declined).

Two weeks ago my Trophy had its first service and was updated to R46 and as expected I lost programming functionality of left star button. I pointed this out to dealer who had never heard of this issue which has been well established on here and YouTube videos for past 7 months. Dealer said they would raise issue with MG and get back to me. Today I was contacted by dealer who want car back in as MG want steering wheel and media unit removed and sent back to them for inspection. Again I told them this is a well known R46 software bug which will hopefully be fixed in next update but they are insisting on removing steering wheel and media unit. I am somewhat reluctant to let them do this for fear of more faults being introduced. Surely after over 7 months of the R46 left star button issue this is not the first time MG UK have been made aware of the issue which is by all accounts a software problem and not a hardware problem as they are now treating the issue as. Do I let them dismantle my car or hold my ground for next update?
Don't accept. Its stupid. It cause because they didn't updated all the modules to recent softwares. The version of the infotainment and the rest of the modules not much. The infotainment have new software and the rest of the systems have old software.

On my car (SE SR) with the latest software I get the exact same options for either star button. The previous software offered different options for each star button.

You mean AC is not one of the options for the right side button?
No I mean it doesn’t work when assigned to the left star, works fine on the right though.

Pressing when I press the left star it brings up the AC controls but nothing changes.

Works perfectly when on the right star

Last edited:
Newbie owner here( mg4 lr trophy).
Have searched for the recommended software versions, I have R40 which sounds a bit old. Is this good to go, or should I get it upgraded. If yes what version?
Thanks in advance, and apologies if I've posted in the wrong thread!
No, R40 is not a very old software version. I believe the most recent valid version is R46, which as you can see in this thread is not 100% successful. The previous version for Trophies was R40, which is what we have on ours. No problems at all with it so far for us. I would expect you should be fine. I think R59 made a very brief appearance, but it seems to have now been pulled. There’s a lot of chatter around all the versions.

Two weeks ago my Trophy had its first service and was updated to R46 and as expected I lost programming functionality of left star button. I pointed this out to dealer who had never heard of this issue which has been well established on here and YouTube videos for past 7 months. Dealer said they would raise issue with MG and get back to me. Today I was contacted by dealer who want car back in as MG want steering wheel and media unit removed and sent back to them for inspection. Again I told them this is a well known R46 software bug which will hopefully be fixed in next update but they are insisting on removing steering wheel and media unit. I am somewhat reluctant to let them do this for fear of more faults being introduced. Surely after over 7 months of the R46 left star button issue this is not the first time MG UK have been made aware of the issue which is by all accounts a software problem and not a hardware problem as they are now treating the issue as. Do I let them dismantle my car or hold my ground for next update?
I think it's weird because my Trophy doesn't have this bug.

To make the left star work, after performing the infotainment update, they need to perform a simple setup with the PC. It's all written in their manuals

When you have AC on the left star, I suspect you still need to use the right joystick to change temperature/fan speed. :)
This is correct - I have mine set up this way and thought it wasn't working, but when you press the left star button a graphic comes up showing a steering wheel with what the joystick positions do to the AC, and the graphic is of the right hand joystick - and using the RH joystick does indeed adjust the AC once you've pressed the left hand star button.

Booked in for my 12 months service in a couple of weeks (SE LR).

Quoted £144.

Dealer said most of the service will be software updates (I haven't requested any).

I'll see what they actually install.

Guy said it would take 1 1/2 hours and I could wait if I wanted to (I declined).
If that's first service, it's quite pricey - I paid £62 at Drive MG North Bristol for first service on my SE LR. That said, although they updated infotainment (which I was very pleased about), they may not have updated all the hidden system software as my ACC joystick function still shifts in 5mph steps rather than 1mph.

Could anyone share some videos of the R59 Navigation with routing update? Or amy more details, hope there were at least few that got it?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 494 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back