MG4 Software Update Thread

I believe the R59 update has been pulled so it's no longer available. R46 is the latest for the Trophy.
This version was temporarily pulled. According to the service manager it is (soon) available again. They would keep me informed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me know if and when you hear about it's re-appearance as I am booked in for some updates on the 19th April and they have said that they would do it for me if available by then

Let me know if and when you hear about it's re-appearance as I am booked in for some updates on the 19th April and they have said that they would do it for me if available by then
Bear in mind that unless you have specifically complained/asked for an infotainment update ad that has been sent on to MG, it's pretty unlikely they'll update it, as it will not show as an update available on the MG server that the dealer connects to.

Unfortunately it's not a case of updates being available to all cars. The thought process seems to be: If it's not (flagged as) broke, then don't give it an update.

Some dealers seem to be proactive in getting the updates for customers, but it seems most don't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately it's not a case of updates being available to all cars. The thought process seems to be: If it's not (flagged as) broke, then don't give it an update.
I was disappointed when the dealer old me this, Ancaster in Dartford kent are only interested in updating your Car only if you do your Service with them, the guy told me point blank on the phone they are an independent dealer so, they arent really interested to do unpaid update unless MG tells them specifically or they would consider it if you service with them. I am booked for tomorrow to fix the outdoor temp gauge and LKA swerving when driving past parked cars. I last had an update about a year ago.

I provided a list of bugs when I took mine for a service. On collecting it after, I was told that centre screen software had been updated and that it would correct my issues. It hadn't. I was told that recall SCUK001 had been installed. They didn't tell me what that did and I have no evidence of it being done.

I was disappointed when the dealer old me this, Ancaster in Dartford kent are only interested in updating your Car only if you do your Service with them, the guy told me point blank on the phone they are an independent dealer so, they arent really interested to do unpaid update unless MG tells them specifically or they would consider it if you service with them. I am booked for tomorrow to fix the outdoor temp gauge and LKA swerving when driving past parked cars. I last had an update about a year ago.
Dealers have a point. The car module upgrade process requires manual baby sitting and is error prone and can take a long time. Failed updates can cause problems with the car.

At the end of the day, someone has to pay for this time and MG will not pay unless these are warranty issues or service campaign items (ie mandatory updates).

The only alternatives are then that the dealer swallows the labour cost, which can be considerable because it ties up a technician, or they charge the customer.

MG initially trumpeted over-the-air updates for infotainment and gave the impression that all updates would be simple and given to all as part of servicing. They have since rowed back from that and updates are not mentioned in their service literature.

It is a poor situation - the underlying issue is the flakiness and awkwardness of the update system. Dealers have been complaining to MG about this for a long time, but it isn't clear if this will improve for existing models like the 4, or be something they address in future models only.

I have just had my first service and I had expected the software to be updated but my disappointment my heater controls have not changed and I discover that I am still on R33.

Should this have been upgraded to R46, which I believe includes the bigger heater control icons.

As an update the dealer has agreed to rectify the problem and it is booked in again next week.

Last edited:
Dealers have a point. The car module upgrade process requires manual baby sitting and is error prone and can take a long time. Failed updates can cause problems with the car.
Make that MG dealers and MG UK and I would agree.

However VW had no problems spending two days updating all my software on a MK8 Golf, even though the car was working fine. It was all just part of the service schedule and ALL software updates were included, as they should be IMHO.

This is where MG are failing their customers IMHO plus their reluctance to accept any issues actually exist in the first place !!

Apparently, versions later than R33 reject the map update.

It looks as though obtaining a map update via mg motor.eu is a 'backdoor' route (although I note that the UK is still part of the European continent, just not in the European Union 'club'). Is there an MG-approved route to map updates for UK MG4 owners? If not, why not?

Because updates with r40 and higher don't work.

It looks as though obtaining a map update via mg motor.eu is a 'backdoor' route (although I note that the UK is still part of the European continent, just not in the European Union 'club'). Is there an MG-approved route to map updates for UK MG4 owners? If not, why not?
It contains UK maps.... And clearly the EU database has the UK VINS stored.

Has anyone tried a UK SE model VIN to see if the maps can be downloaded? If yes then that would suggest that the website isn't so discerning. :)

Edit: just tried mine, and it still offered me the Maps link 🙄

Just had a first service today and I'm still on R13. I even explicitly said when I booked would new updates be applied and when they rang today for payment that 'have all updates been applied ' and she said they would have. Get back and nothing has changed. I have issues with my android auto which works except when I get a call, sometimes the connection is intermittent. I was hoping an update would fix this.

Just had a first service today and I'm still on R13. I even explicitly said when I booked would new updates be applied and when they rang today for payment that 'have all updates been applied ' and she said they would have. Get back and nothing has changed. I have issues with my android auto which works except when I get a call, sometimes the connection is intermittent. I was hoping an update would fix this.
You will only get essential mandatory updates, not all the updates and not infotainment ones.

If something isn't working right, you need to report it to your dealer and ask them to fix it under warranty. Then MG will pay them to install the relevant updates to fix this issue which may include an infotainment update.

Hoping things will get fixed is not a good strategy with MG.

You will only get essential mandatory updates, not all the updates and not infotainment ones.

If something isn't working right, you need to report it to your dealer and ask them to fix it under warranty. Then MG will pay them to install the relevant updates to fix this issue which may include an infotainment update.

Hoping things will get fixed is not a good strategy with MG.
So is it the case that there have been no mandatory updates since last March?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 496 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back