MG4 Software Update Thread

MG are very secretive about their software and the only way to get software updates is through your approved MG dealer and even then they don't know the version numbers.

The only updates that might be available eventually is for the infotainment system but there is no sign of it happening in the near future.
Not entirely. There are updates of the lane assist, there are updates of the camera modules, there is an update of the charger software, button functions have changed. There is a BT update, some received updates for the wireless charger.
But not yet anything on the maps or so. But I do expect with r59 that maps are updated (there seems to be ev charger functionality in this update to plan your trip).

Not entirely. There are updates of the lane assist, there are updates of the camera modules, there is an update of the charger software, button functions have changed. There is a BT update, some received updates for the wireless charger.
But not yet anything on the maps or so. But I do expect with r59 that maps are updated (there seems to be ev charger functionality in this update to plan your trip).
And for me, there have been zero updates since this car rolled its first centimeter for the end user. Im seriously underwhelmed.

Got me thinking of a guy that approached me next to this car this winter. He told me he got his new MG4 a week ago, and he had some questions I might be able to help him with rehearsing the car.

We talked a couple of minutes. Then I looked at him, and his face had genuinely gone pale... He then stated that he would try to return the car to the dealership, and what I had told him about the ins and outs of the car was what he had feared; the dealership had effectively overwhelmed him with superlatives and he fell for it.

I for one is lucky, I have this car on a lease! And if I could, I would revoke the lease instantly. But this is of course my subjective verdict.

What I can say is this; the software is killing my experience of this car. And yes, I've compiled an comprehensive list of unwanted behaviours and errors and handed it to the dealership. And to the national reseller in Sweden. And to MG Europe, twice, without a single response. Not even a "thanks, but..."

Best regards from Sweden

Very, very bad. Although it varies per country an per dealer, some are helpful. However, if MG messes up dealers are basically in the same boat as we are.

Hi, friends. Please help me. According to the photo I have firmware version R24 in my vehicle? If so, it seems to be a very old version of the firmware, right? I'm reading about R46 versions here. I have the German Luxury version. Is there anyone here who also has this version and newer firmware please? Because I'm still dealing with the problem that the vehicle sometimes won't start heating and the service doesn't know how to fix the fault at all, plus they tell me that I have the latest and newest firmware version loaded in the vehicle. Is he telling the truth? Is the latest version really for MG4 Luxury R24? Thank you very much.
They are screwing you around. I also have a Trophy, at least that was it called when I ordered it. I see now they are not only playing with the paint jobs but also the name of the versions.

Mine is a version one with a black roof. That is now only for the long range, at least in the Netherlands.

But to get back to the case they installed R46 on my multimedia system. And regarding your heatpump. I had the same problem that it just started when it felt like it. I returned it to the dealer in 2 weeks and at that time they were aware of the problem and installed a software update and the problem was solved. Never had the problem again. So there are fixes but your dealer just is not up for his task or he doesn’t care.

Hi all - just collect my Trophy (Mar 23) mk1 from dealer following service. I asked for infotainment system to be updated to R59 but they couldn't do it as the engineer confirmed that MG have pulled the R59 file from the servers (he did say he had successfully updated my car's control systems separately though). He said he had successfully updated a previous MG4 to R59 but he now couldn't download the file. He offered to update me to R46 if I wanted but we agreed rather to wait for R59 to be available again in the coming weeks. So it looks like I'll be getting that update once its available but for now, here in the UK at least, I don't belive we can get R59 right now.

Hi all - just collect my Trophy (Mar 23) mk1 from dealer following service. I asked for infotainment system to be updated to R59 but they couldn't do it as the engineer confirmed that MG have pulled the R59 file from the servers (he did say he had successfully updated my car's control systems separately though). He said he had successfully updated a previous MG4 to R59 but he now couldn't download the file. He offered to update me to R46 if I wanted but we agreed rather to wait for R59 to be available again in the coming weeks. So it looks like I'll be getting that update once its available but for now, here in the UK at least, I don't belive we can get R59 right now.
Interesting.... They found a bug ??

They released R59 with almost no new features a year after their previous update, and yet it was pulled for being a crap update.

They released R59 with almost no new features a year after their previous update, and yet it was pulled for being a crap update.
It did show ev charger route planning (likely with a new map), proper ACC changes in the buttons, a sort of quicker option to disable Lane Assist (half way of a proper solution). Not sure if there was more...if they improved ACC as well I would have taken it.

Yep, I've had it confirmed to me by a dealer that R59 or any trace of it is not there and not available to be downloaded. I'm booked in for 19th April for a BMS update via vds (anyone know much about this) and any other updates available including the R59 replacement if and when it exists.

Would be great if the new update was available before that date

So, after deafening silence from Bath MG since last Thursday when they failed to update my SE LR software from R13, I decided to go in and have chat. The guy started off by telling me he'd tried calling me yesterday, but strangely I had no missed calls on my mobile. After that, he told me that the car was due a software upgrade to R21. I said the car had been booked in with them for a software upgrade on Thursday last week but it hadn't been successful. He then tried to tell me that the car had actually been updated to R13 at that visit. I told him it had already been on R13 at that time. He said, well another dealer must have updated it then. I said no, it was on R13 when I took delivery of the car. Earliest dates available for them to have another go at the software update are 21/22 Sept, with only dates in October after that. This is after the original booking I made on 2nd August for the software update, with 31st August bring the earliest available date at that time, when they failed to update it. The guy was downright rude to me during the conversation, but did eventually apologise when I pulled him up on it. Shambolic - be warned if you use Bath MG.
MG4 SE LR March'23 - After Bath MG never got back to me since September 23 to re-book my car in for infotainment software update to R33, I decided to leave it until the first service was due. Based on positive info on this forum I booked it in with Drive MG Bristol North for the service and software update and was quoted £62.01. It went in on Tuesday this week and I'm happy to say I'm now on infotainment R33 - the only hiccup was with the service reception, who said that my VIN number was not due any updates, so it sounded like I was going to stay on R13 after all - luckily they went and checked with the technician who confirmed that infotainment update was separate and needed to contact MG direct to get the download. So I'm now getting the turn by turn directions from Google Maps when listening to the radio, and see the external temp along the top of the screen when Android Auto is up, and get the pull down menu. The star buttons have options to be set to Energy Recovery, AC or Drive mode - so all good.

The only thing that seems to be missing after the service is ACC going in 1mph steps when nudging the left toggle stick up or down - it still goes in 5mph steps - so I guess I'm on an older version of the module software - will check what version I'm on.

MCU software is on 69.3.8.0, which looks to be the same as @siteguru has, so I'm not sure why my ACC does not shift in 1mph steps with the toggle stick now - did I read somewhere that I could disconnect the 12v battery to do a 'hard reset'?

As well as the FICM update, I got the following updates at my service:

CCU module has been update as per bulletin SC47

We have updated the below modules as these aren’t part of the current recalls/bulletin
GW module
IPK module

We have carried out recall SCUK001 and this has updated BCM, EVCC, FDR modules

Two weeks ago my Trophy had its first service and was updated to R46 and as expected I lost programming functionality of left star button. I pointed this out to dealer who had never heard of this issue which has been well established on here and YouTube videos for past 7 months. Dealer said they would raise issue with MG and get back to me. Today I was contacted by dealer who want car back in as MG want steering wheel and media unit removed and sent back to them for inspection. Again I told them this is a well known R46 software bug which will hopefully be fixed in next update but they are insisting on removing steering wheel and media unit. I am somewhat reluctant to let them do this for fear of more faults being introduced. Surely after over 7 months of the R46 left star button issue this is not the first time MG UK have been made aware of the issue which is by all accounts a software problem and not a hardware problem as they are now treating the issue as. Do I let them dismantle my car or hold my ground for next update?

Newbie owner here( mg4 lr trophy).
Have searched for the recommended software versions, I have R40 which sounds a bit old. Is this good to go, or should I get it upgraded. If yes what version?
Thanks in advance, and apologies if I've posted in the wrong thread!

Get a spare car and let them do it. That is my advice.
Why? Software is useless without hardware. They simply do not know the effects of their software updates on all hardware versions. And my gut feeling is that MG sells cars far too often with different versions or even brands of hardware. And, if a given version IS TESTED to work with the new software yet it does not in one case, they must first exclude hardware faults. So they need the wheel to find out what happens. Then they can possibly fix it.
Unfortunately, this is one of the reason the MG is cheaper than its competitors.

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 493 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel