MG4 Software Update Thread

Maybe the OTA will be released market by market, such as EU first in Europe as that's the biggest market in Europe.

I don't think MG have enough confidence in their software to roll out OTA, never mind consumers! The last thing they want is to roll out updates to everyone that causes more issues than it solves and involves cars en masse heading to dealerships, or even worse being 'bricked'.

That being said, just had our March 2023 MG4 in for its first service in Wigan, was updated to R46 without issue (although I did make a point of referencing Bluetooth issues).

Not a massive fan of losing the 'screen estate' for Android Auto maps, but I was expecting it.

I'm hoping to see some improvements with scheduled charging, which has been very hit and miss, but time will tell.

What does that mean??

When in android auto (or, as I understand it, Car play) the bar remains across the top of the screen from the main home screen, that which includes some basic A/C info, mobile signal details etc. Previously, that disappeared as you entered android auto.

It's intended behaviour, as it means that info is visible without having to leave the android auto screen, and you can swipe down for the more detailed A/C controls, but you naturally lose some of the area that was previously dedicated to the android auto tiles.

I don't think MG have enough confidence in their software to roll out OTA, never mind consumers! The last thing they want is to roll out updates to everyone that causes more issues than it solves and involves cars en masse heading to dealerships, or even worse being 'bricked'.

That being said, just had our March 2023 MG4 in for its first service in Wigan, was updated to R46 without issue (although I did make a point of referencing Bluetooth issues).

Not a massive fan of losing the 'screen estate' for Android Auto maps, but I was expecting it.

I'm hoping to see some improvements with scheduled charging, which has been very hit and miss, but time will tell.
OTA updates won't be sent out to 'everyone'. They can easily be sent based on vin or ranges of vins, even vins within certain markets. They can be very targeted.

So could anyone kindly let me know what the latest (stable) version for the SE LR is supposed to be? I see people talk about V R46 and another later version that has been recalled but after having had my car serviced and requested that they apply a software update (which took the best part of 4 hours) I was rather dismayed to see the infotainment systems hadn't changed at all. Now that in itself may not be a problem but the version number I have says SWI69-29958-1100R13, which compared to other versions listed in this thread (possibly for the Trophy model for the most part, I'm guessing that's what 1300RXX means), it feels like I'm still running on windows XP here ... So before I go back to them, I just want to make sure what version I should be having. Cheers folks

OTA updates won't be sent out to 'everyone'. They can easily be sent based on vin or ranges of vins, even vins within certain markets. They can be very targeted.

I genuinely hope it happens. At the same time it scares the bejesus out of me. I know that, despite the risk, if it ever popped up on screen that there was an OTA update, I'd click to install in an instant.

I forgot to add that the sensitivity of the auto lights seems to have changed, it has to be a bit darker for them to come on now which is an improvement.
I agree and I agree that it's an improvement. A couple of times however I've actually had to turn the lights on, when I thought it was needed, and I actually noticed that most cars around me (including some newer models which presumably had auto lights too) had their lights on.

So could anyone kindly let me know what the latest (stable) version for the SE LR is supposed to be? I see people talk about V R46 and another later version that has been recalled but after having had my car serviced and requested that they apply a software update (which took the best part of 4 hours) I was rather dismayed to see the infotainment systems hadn't changed at all. Now that in itself may not be a problem but the version number I have says SWI69-29958-1100R13, which compared to other versions listed in this thread (possibly for the Trophy model for the most part, I'm guessing that's what 1300RXX means), it feels like I'm still running on windows XP here ... So before I go back to them, I just want to make sure what version I should be having. Cheers folks
1100R33 is the latest for the SE

On the annual service from an MG dealer, should they have updated all the other 'modules' on the car alongside the R46 update? Or do they typically only update those too if you complain about them? I'm regretting now not mentioning intermittent issues with ACC, phantom braking and LKA.

Equally I don't think I'm bothered enough to take it back before year 2 service.

Since my service last week I was updated to 1300R46, the LKA is now much subdued the one time I tried leaving it on, no more wrenching the steering around, just a slight nudge. The Bluetooth now seems to be staying connected. Previous updates had already improved the auto switch-on/off of the lights. So overall much improved, though the new issue of the A/C screen not closing by itself on start-up is a pain.

Thanks, now to figure out why they haven't applied that...

R13 isn't bad, at least it didn't lose the external temperature display. I'm still on it, but hopefully not for much longer. However everyone who has R33 says it removes quite a few bugs from R13, so you want it. As far as I know...
  • The USB player supports folders
  • The lights come on at dusk rather than when a bird flies in front of the sun
  • The HVAC controls are more functional
  • More options for programming the star buttons
  • ACC works more intuitively
If you find something to complain about, say the USB player or the auto-lights, they should give it to you.

R13 isn't bad, at least it didn't lose the external temperature display. I'm still on it, but hopefully not for much longer. However everyone who has R33 says it removes quite a few bugs from R13, so you want it. As far as I know...
  • The USB player supports folders
  • The lights come on at dusk rather than when a bird flies in front of the sun
  • The HVAC controls are more functional
  • More options for programming the star buttons
  • ACC works more intuitively
If you find something to complain about, say the USB player or the auto-lights, they should give it to you.
It boggles the mind that I have to be specific about a fault that could potentially be fixed by a version upgrade instead of them just applying it because it's available. I've emailed them to seek clarification on why it wasn't applied but I guess that means waiting another year to get an update with lane assist trying to kill you and driving modes always resetting and high beams being wonky and and... I already wasted a day with this servicing and all I paid for was a guy looking around the car and say "yep, looks good" (and some "recall update", which I would have thought should be applied as a standard security patch at your earliest convenience but maybe that doesn't work like that for MG I dunno)

I did get an update last July when I contacted the dealer about something else, so it can work sometimes. Unless you can't face taking it in again, I would make a fuss about this now. Who's your dealer?

I did make a fuss but I can't afford the time to sit and wait in the dealership while they take care of it. They apparently have very little staff that works on MGs so you book your appointment for an arbitrary time slot but it doesn't mean it'll start at that point. I waited about 6 hours overall today in the dealership (which I think is the same as yours as previously discussed) and would rather not have to do that again any time soon. Hopefully I'll get a response tomorrow.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back