MG4 Software Update Thread

I mean I had to wait another 15 minutes after paying because they had forgotten to clean and hoover the car (I didn't have to but the assistant manager insisted this had to be done). It wouldn't count as a bad experience if they did what I expected them to do to begin with.

Is there a central register somewhere of the various module versions in each market and what fixes/changes they introduce? I know MG don't have one but wondered if anyone else had created one with what info is available here & there.

For instance my AU/NZ variant of the SE has had software updates twice by our excellent local dealer, and subsequently received bits and pieces of other updates that are in UK versions
(e.g. OPD, ACC 1/5kmh increments swapped, reliable bluetooth, tyre pressure BAR instead of kpa, phantom braking fix..)

But still no swipe-down menu when CarPlay is active, no fix for the steering wheel Shortcut buttons weird behavior (forgetting settings, launching CarPlay at the same time as AC), no quick ELK or Power Off buttons in the swipe-down.

I'm guessing it's because a newer AU/NZ infotainment version for this model has yet to be released, even though the AU/NZ equivalent of the Trophy has had an upgrade. :/

Is there a central register somewhere of the various module versions in each market and what fixes/changes they introduce? I know MG don't have one but wondered if anyone else had created one with what info is available here & there.

For instance my AU/NZ variant of the SE has had software updates twice by our excellent local dealer, and subsequently received bits and pieces of other updates that are in UK versions
(e.g. OPD, ACC 1/5kmh increments swapped, reliable bluetooth, tyre pressure BAR instead of kpa, phantom braking fix..)

But still no swipe-down menu when CarPlay is active, no fix for the steering wheel Shortcut buttons weird behavior (forgetting settings, launching CarPlay at the same time as AC), no quick ELK or Power Off buttons in the swipe-down.

I'm guessing it's because a newer AU/NZ infotainment version for this model has yet to be released, even though the AU/NZ equivalent of the Trophy has had an upgrade. :/
Actually, MG Corporate are the only ones to have such a register.
They just won't show it to anyone else.

I did make a fuss but I can't afford the time to sit and wait in the dealership while they take care of it. They apparently have very little staff that works on MGs so you book your appointment for an arbitrary time slot but it doesn't mean it'll start at that point. I waited about 6 hours overall today in the dealership (which I think is the same as yours as previously discussed) and would rather not have to do that again any time soon. Hopefully I'll get a response tomorrow.
Updating the infotainment is done by a USB drive and only takes a few minutes to do.

So after my 2 months in the garage awaiting for a CCU I got it back with R46 (on the Trophy) and it seems a lot better. Shame that all the first time up-takers are treated as crash test dummies on their software when it had already been release in China so time previous. The initial install did not go too well as I was told that R46 had been installed but when I checked the infotainment system it said R33 which surprised the techie. Like the bigger climate control page now though

Still being bounced along through different people by Hong Kong MG dealer who claim they know nothing about any software updates. The cars first shipped to customers here in August / September 2023 and they came with a service schedule of 10000km or 1 year for first service (it's a HK thing for servicing cars every 10 minutes to keep warranty). The cars that were delivered were 2022 UK models. They've now increased the mileage requirement to 20000km so they won't need to service any cars for a little while yet so I guess they don't have to think about software updates when they are not doing any services yet. Still pushing them from the perspective of fixing the faults and refuse to wait until September for them to do that.

Boggles the mind even more on why they didn't just do it then...
My experience with my MG4 SE LR of a few weeks ago when I took the car in for its first service is that I had to pretty much specifically demand they update my infotainment software to R33 when I dropped it off. The problem appears to be that the dealers have a list of software updates due for your VIN, but that's only the main control software packages - the infotainment software isn't included in this list, so if you just ask for the 'software' to be updated, they will just update what's on the list for your VIN as a matter of course during the service, and will think that they've done everything you've asked them to. As others have said, and my experience was, you have to specifically ask for the infotainment update (be armed with the most up to date Rev number for your model and the version you're currently on - the service reception staff often don't have any info on this), give a list of problems you've been having with your current version, and then they'll update it - provided that the technician knows what they are doing. Asking for it at the time of the car being serviced helps - my previous attempt to get the infotainment updated a few months into ownership at a different dealership was a failure - they only updated the main system software packages.

Yes, MG only want to do essential updates because updating is time consuming and labour intensive and they have to pay your dealer for the work.

MG does not have an automated update system like Tesla or most phones.

So you will only get critical updates unless you make a warranty claim for issues.

My experience with my MG4 SE LR of a few weeks ago when I took the car in for its first service is that I had to pretty much specifically demand they update my infotainment software to R33 when I dropped it off. The problem appears to be that the dealers have a list of software updates due for your VIN, but that's only the main control software packages - the infotainment software isn't included in this list, so if you just ask for the 'software' to be updated, they will just update what's on the list for your VIN as a matter of course during the service, and will think that they've done everything you've asked them to. As others have said, and my experience was, you have to specifically ask for the infotainment update (be armed with the most up to date Rev number for your model and the version you're currently on - the service reception staff often don't have any info on this), give a list of problems you've been having with your current version, and then they'll update it - provided that the technician knows what they are doing. Asking for it at the time of the car being serviced helps - my previous attempt to get the infotainment updated a few months into ownership at a different dealership was a failure - they only updated the main system software packages.
Yes as I said in another thread, I've learnt the hard way to do just that in the future. I'm just not sure it's necessarily the best definition of "servicing" the car if I have to be the one doing the research to figure out what it is they need to install to fix what are well known issues.

Basically, we’re not getting the after-sales ‘Service’ that we expect from dealers. I expect my dealer to be pro-active and know what updates are likely to be available for my vehicle and act on my behalf and lobby MG. Not only didn’t I not even get a wash and vac with my recent annual service, I didn’t even get an explanation of the SCUK001 recall action or a report on my battery condition other than ‘OK’ on a checklist. Did the recall include any firmware? I know from messages I received from the car and ISMART app when they started working on my car and the phone call to advise it was ready for collection that they spent less than an hour working on it.

I don't even think the deals know the updates MG throw out
That's correct - the only ones they know about are the main software updates listed for your car's VIN - infotainment is outside this list and hence the dealers are not generally up to speed on the latest versions available etc, and some of them aren't aware that it's just a quick and simple job with a USB stick to do the update.

The technicians who work on the cars every day will get to know what the updates are and what their effects are. The dealer service departments could, if they wished, be more proactive on their customer’s behalf and ask targeted questions of their customers to determine which updates may be of benefit. Perhaps the dealers consider it more beneficial for them to keep their supplier on-side rather than their customers?

At the end of the day the problem is "who pays?".

Applying updates takes time and so costs money. If MG won't pay then even if a technician knows what is available their dealership may not sanction the cost.

And why should they? MG sold them the car, they didn't make it and then they sold it to you.

It's a good example of why direct sales are better. With no middle party, your argument is directly with the maker and it is their reputation on the line. No dealer in the middle for both to blame.

I don’t disagree. But if you’re not told that an update is available (although it may not be free) then you don’t even have an option and may simply continue to think that buying the brand and from that dealer was a mistake not to be repeated. Reputations are difficult to build and easily lost.

I don’t disagree. But if you’re not told that an update is available (although it may not be free) then you don’t even have an option and may simply continue to think that buying the brand and from that dealer was a mistake not to be repeated. Reputations are difficult to build and easily lost.
I'm unlikely to be buying another MG due to this lack of support. I've put up with LKA being poor since day 1 and had software updates several months back and it's still rubbish. From other people's comments there must be a combination that would work but I've given up on MG providing it to me. Driven loads of other cars with the functionality and never felt it was dangerous on any other car.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back