MG4 Software Update Thread

Anyone used to playing with Android Phone firmwares will find this very very familiar.
How long before someone changes their boot screen?
I had one of the original vauxhall Insignia's and swapped the Vauxhall start up image for one of my own, it screwed the whole infotainment up.

Luckily I could swap the image back to the original

Well it's been an interesting evening.. Time for bed i'm afraid.

To be clear, I wouldn't advise anyone try and install this file on their car, let alone modify it and install it.
Theoretically, there are checks to prevent it being installed where it shouldn't be or if it's modified.
But even so, don't risk it.

Let's learn what we can learn from it first.

So many interesting APKs inside the system.img :love:

1715171511708.png

1715171562996.png

I was wondering why SAIC can't just update single packages on demand (just like playstore does) instead of updating the entire system rom (which is pain)

Anyway:
Abupdate_eg32.apk is responsable for the OTA updates (and also USB update).
there are so much code inside and it looks ready even for scheduled upgrades overnight.
Some peculiar strings inside:

<string name="check_tips_content">1. Please click on the Detect New Versions to update the software to use the latest and most stable software functions.</string> (We know well this one)
<string name="notify_found_new_version">New version detected. Do you want to update now?</string>
<string name="notify_time_arrive">The appointment time has arrived. Do you want to install now?</string>
<string name="download_success_notify_tips">Download completed, do you want to install now?</string>
<string name="download_success_tips">Download succeeded! Do you want to install now?</string>
<string name="download_suspended">Suspend download</string>
<string name="error_tips_car_unregister">Your car not registered, please contact after sales for more information</string>
<string name="reboot_and_continue_update">The system will restart automatically and then continue the installation, during which there will be a brief black screen, please be patient to wait for the update to complete.</string>

I was wondering why SAIC can't just update single packages on demand (just like playstore does) instead of updating the entire system rom (which is pain)

Anyway:
Abupdate_eg32.apk is responsable for the OTA updates (and also USB update).
there are so much code inside and it looks ready even for scheduled upgrades overnight.
Some peculiar strings inside:

<string name="check_tips_content">1. Please click on the Detect New Versions to update the software to use the latest and most stable software functions.</string> (We know well this one)
<string name="notify_found_new_version">New version detected. Do you want to update now?</string>
<string name="notify_time_arrive">The appointment time has arrived. Do you want to install now?</string>
<string name="download_success_notify_tips">Download completed, do you want to install now?</string>
<string name="download_success_tips">Download succeeded! Do you want to install now?</string>
<string name="download_suspended">Suspend download</string>
<string name="error_tips_car_unregister">Your car not registered, please contact after sales for more information</string>
<string name="reboot_and_continue_update">The system will restart automatically and then continue the installation, during which there will be a brief black screen, please be patient to wait for the update to complete.</string>
I suspect OTA from the car has been available since day 1 but given the issues even dealers have had in the past, they just haven't put anything on the relevant server

Have you seen anything related to rollback functionality? If they had a rollback process for failed updates, it would make OTA much safer.

As for independent package updates, I presume they don't want the headache of creating their own mini app store. Easier to just package everything as 1 update. They could also just be coming from an older fashion approach like how Android did updates years ago. Took Google years to untie a lot of services from core Android

Any modification of mg software will certainly invalidate a warranty if you you're claiming for a fault you may have caused but installed Infotainment firmware versions aren't usually recorded on a database so an OEM update is fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with you and the MD5 check doesn't allow modified package. Actually my car has the old R26 and it works very well. Update by dealers only if absolutely necessary

Yeah, I wondered if its a read only filesystem which you can only flash as a whole, less chance of it getting corrupted and bringing the whole unit down?

It could be all settings are stored in other modules and just updated by the infotainment unit, which might explain the lack of profiles or persistent settings :unsure:

On r40 and given up on phone staying paired. Tempted with the r46 usb but not sure it's going to fix it. I'm hoping some forgetful tech is going to leave an r59 usb in someone's car...

On r40 and given up on phone staying paired. Tempted with the r46 usb but not sure it's going to fix it. I'm hoping some forgetful tech is going to leave an r59 usb in someone's car...
I'm on R33, and sometimes I get the phone re pair message. What I do now is do not cancel or accept the message just press home until screen goes off , when it re boots phone is paired again , much easier than re pairing. Another thing I have noticed is if press the brake before the Bluetooth has connected, then it is more likely to lose the pairing, I now wait until Bluetooth symbol has come up then press the brake and it loses pairing less often.

Just had R59 installed by the dealer and cruise control still goes in 5 mph jumps with a single press. I really hoped it would be changed to 1 mph like my old Suzuki Swift
This comes with an ACC update, not with Infotainment. Complaining about poor ACC performance (hesitant, phantom braking, not working on corners) got me this update and now the system works brilliantly (as it should have done first time!).

This comes with an ACC update, not with Infotainment. Complaining about poor ACC performance (hesitant, phantom braking, not working on corners) got me this update and now the system works brilliantly (as it should have done first time!).
Looks like another trip to the dealer required……….

Yep. Before the ACC update it slowed down like crazy in curves. After it is fine.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back