MG4 Software Update Thread

I had my Trophy upgraded to the latest software the other day and I've just realised the garage left the USB in my car. If it's of any help I can upload the files if anyone wants to try doing it for themselves?
Wow please share, as a developer I would love to learn more about it

Apart from accessing the engineering menu does anyone know what the procedure is, do you need to depress the brake pedal to put the car in ready mode or is just sitting in the car to wake it up enough before starting the installation?

Apart from accessing the engineering menu does anyone know what the procedure is, do you need to depress the brake pedal to put the car in ready mode or is just sitting in the car to wake it up enough before starting the installation?
It tells you what to do when you are in engineering menu. The car needs to be in ready mode so yes you need to depress the brake pedal.

In any case I do not think we will get the firmware ….

Last edited:
It tells you what to do when you are in engineering menu. The car needs to be in ready mode so yes you need to depress the brake pedal.

In any case I do not think we will get the firmware ….
Is it the firmware CPU update or AVN MPU update option

.......so, who will be the first person brave enough to install? :ROFLMAO:

checksoc.txt indicates that the file is R46:
SWI68-29958-1300R46

@BobbyBrown can you confirm that your vehicle has R46 (not R59)?

Thanks @BobbyBrown and @Deanicus

The fun has begun!

Screenshot 2024-05-08 195529.png

Don't know if it still applies but originally you had to make sure nobody was sitting in the driver's seat when doing an upgrade or it could brick the system - dealers learned this early on.
If the brake pedal needed to be depressed to wake the car up, would they then have to get out and move over to the passenger seat to continue?

If the brake pedal needed to be depressed to wake the car up, would they then have to get out and move over to the passenger seat to continue?
Yes. Caught them out early on as the obvious thing to do was to sit in the driver's seat with the laptop connected doing updates.

I don't know if this is still relevant (bug now fixed?), nor whether it was just certain updates that had this problem but it did come up in the early days.

Yes. Caught them out early on as the obvious thing to do was to sit in the driver's seat with the laptop connected doing updates.

I don't know if this is still relevant (bug now fixed?), nor whether it was just certain updates that had this problem but it did come up in the early days.
Also it would be worth checking the service manual to see if there is a recommended procedure.

Curious what program you are using there?

Once you've unpacked the payload.bin file, it's older but Ext2Read handles those image files fine.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back