MG4 Software Update Thread

My dongle has a delay of 20 seconds. Works perfectly. Adjustments in settings. Carlinkit 5.0.2

Newbie question

My 2023 Trophy (V1? No rear wiper)
is going in for its first service in June, I also have been told by the dealership that my car was not going to get any software updates from MG, is that correct or do I need to lean on them for improvements? I’m guessing there’ll be no one pedal driving, the infotainment panel is pretty slow and unresponsive and heating settings seem to make up there own mind what they do so not a massive problem if nothing gets updated.

Newbie question

is going in for its first service in June, I also have been told by the dealership that my car was not going to get any software updates from MG, is that correct or do I need to lean on them for improvements? I’m guessing there’ll be no one pedal driving, the infotainment panel is pretty slow and unresponsive and heating settings seem to make up there own mind what they do so not a massive problem if nothing gets updated.
To get updates you need to complain about specific issues that you have and ask them to be fixed under warranty. You won't get them otherwise except for a small handful of required updates.

Newbie question

My car is going in for its first service in June. When I booked it in I was told by the service department that there is a recall for software updates. BCM, FDR and EVCU. I have also mentioned to them about the Keep Lane assist and I have had some recent incidents of centre display black screening and the Radio has been disappearing.

So there should be some updates done but I would give them a sheet of issues you are experiencing in addition to the recall items when you take it in.

I had my car’s (V1? - no wiper Trophy) first annual service done at Ancaster’s in Bromley, London. I was initially booked in for a standard service but after going through the long list of complaints they said that it would have to be a diagnostic appointment instead and was rebooked for a later date.
The paperwork says I’ve had a ‘software update to the FICM media module’. This seems to be the r59 media update. I was quite specific in mentioning that the Bluetooth was non functional and had been since day one, it is occasionally extremely slow to boot (black screen for minutes), radio sometimes gets stuck, CarPlay thinks it’s left hand drive, occasionally just starts with a list of assorted yellow system faults that needs the car to be rebooted to clear…light sensitivity.. I specifically mentioned I wanted the r59 update for the quick left drop down menu toggle for the LKA as well. The only evidence that they read that was a note to say that you need to disable that every time you drive so I’d guess the tech didn’t know that’s now there really.
Seemed to get the tech to push the FICM update anyway and I also got the phone app warnings about brakes and security issues whilst it was being worked on so they may have done other things? They said there were some service recall type stuff that were applied as well.

As an update the Bluetooth is now more functional… ish…
Had one trip where all was going well, Bluetooth just logs in fine and plays current music off iPhone. Nice and simple, no need to plug in the CarPlay. But… then I tried to use the audio command button to try to activate the Bluetooth call funiction. It heard the command, identified the person… then the connection entirely died and just showed as ‘Pairing cancelled’ in the Bluetooth settings page. On the next journey it was back to functional though as I didn’t immediately reset the connection.

Will see how stable it is going forward.

Last edited:
I am hoping someone can clarify the following Infotainment version discrepancies for me .

My wife has a Trophy LR ( no Rear Wiper)
I have Trophy ER.
So here is the confusion I too my ER back to get the usual BT, Radio issues sorted back in Jan 2024 and was updated to R46.
The LR went for service yesterday and it had same BT, radio along with the car randomly telling it was 1st jan 1998 on boot up. These will hopefully be sorted now but this has R59.
Anyone any ideas ?

R59 wasn't (openly) available back in January. Unless you're still having issues then the dealer won't update yours to R59. (Or unless you have a good working relationship with the dealer, then they might do it).
TBH I cannot really see any big difference between the 2 cars.
I still have a random issue with radio not coming back on and have to reactivate nudging the volume up but I can live with that and will report as an issue when its due a service.

Are the issues detailed in this thread common or will brand new builds of the car have these ironed out?

I've ordered an MG4 Trophy and am worried that I might have made a mistake now.

Are the issues detailed in this thread common or will brand new builds of the car have these ironed out?

Don't worry. My Trophy has now done 20k miles, it's 100% reliable. There are niggles but that's all they are . Overall it's better than I expected and I have no regrets.

Don't read forum problem threads after ordering a new car while still waiting for delivery.

They will cause you to fret and worry about your decision (and you may even reverse it).

The trouble is that people share problems in forums like these because they want help. People don't share their good experiences except occasionally when we do surveys or ownership reports. Last time we surveyed over 80% of owners loved their MG4 and another 10% or so could live with it.

So by looking here you are getting a distorted view that most likely will not be your reality.

You might think it is worth reading up on the problems you could experience, but you are better off waiting to see the problems you actually experience (if any) because there are so many hypothetical scenarios.

MG has its problems. But so does every other car maker too.

I can say I'm more than happy with our Luxury, despite the occasionally occuring bugs it's a great car. I recommend it every time someone asks.

I can say I'm more than happy with our Luxury, despite the occasionally occuring bugs it's a great car. I recommend it every time someone asks.
I agree. We absolutely love our Trophy. It does have the occasional small bug, but thanks to this forum, I've been able to ignore/deal with any of them without recourse to the dealership. (Small software bugs, mostly user error, before you ask.)

I had my Trophy upgraded to the latest software the other day and I've just realised the garage left the USB in my car. If it's of any help I can upload the files if anyone wants to try doing it for themselves?
I'd be interested in looking at it. You might have to upload it to Google Drive or similar; I imagine the files are too large for an attachment.

I'd caution anyone about attempting this themselves; it might be tricky to make absolutely sure that the files are the right ones for your exact model.

I'd be interested in looking at it. You might have to upload it to Google Drive or similar; I imagine the files are too large for an attachment.

I'd caution anyone about attempting this themselves; it might be tricky to make absolutely sure that the files are the right ones for your exact model.
100%

There's a serious risk of breaking functionality or even bricking the car

However this might lead to all sorts of interesting things in the right hands as it may finally allow things like adb etc

I can help with google drive storage if needed. I've 2TB

Hi, what do i need to complain about to get the SCUK001 fix? My car is on R59, But left star button doesn't work, and auto lights still going on for the smallest dark section and stay on for 20 sec later

* phase 1

Hi, what do i need to complain about to get the SCUK001 fix? My car is on R59, But left star button doesn't work, and auto lights still going on for the smallest dark section and stay on for 20 sec later

* phase 1
I would say you should complain about what you have problems with.

I would say you should complain about what you have problems with.
Yes, there's not much traction in asking for a specific update. You want a fix under warranty for your problem, however they provide it, you can always point them to useful information they might not know, but you won't get far insisting on a specific update version.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 527 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back