MG4 Software Update Thread

Hi. My early 2023 UK Trophy has had its first annual service today. I asked them to update the software as I have the iPhone Bluetooth pairing issue. It’s on R33 but apparently when hooked up to their console it says it’s on the latest software and no updates available.

I’ve read lots of forum members saying they are on R46 and beyond but not sure if they are in European not uk markets. Can anyone advise if this should be available for UK Trophies and whether my dealer has to actively request this from MG instead of just accepting without any questions what their console says. Hard to tell if I’m being fobbed off.

Thanks for your help

R59 has been available in the UK, R40 and R46 have been widely available.

However, MG won't typically update the software unless you report a problem with it - bluetooth issues is a good way to get R46 or higher.

Basically MG don't deem updates essential if the customer doesn't report a warranty issue, so they won't pay the garage for them so the garage is reluctant to do them.

The path to getting updates is to report problems and insist they are fixed under warranty, not to ask for updates.

I had my Trophy upgraded to the latest software the other day and I've just realised the garage left the USB in my car. If it's of any help I can upload the files if anyone wants to try doing it for themselves?
Have you had a look at uploading the files yet, i almost dropped my brew when I read you had the usb!

Last edited:
I would say you should complain about what you have problems with.
Yes, there's not much traction in asking for a specific update. You want a fix under warranty for your problem, however they provide it, you can always point them to useful information they might not know, but you won't get far insisting on a specific update version.
Yes but they have answers to everything. The auto lights problem "Thats how it works".

For ACC/TJA: don't trust/use this systems, its bad on all cars.

For LKA: This is how it works on MG4, who complained about it to the manufacturer, disable it.

Yes but they have answers to everything. The auto lights problem "Thats how it works".

For ACC/TJA: don't trust/use this systems, its bad on all cars.

For LKA: This is how it works on MG4, who complained about it to the manufacturer, disable it.
Find another dealer. That's bad service.

R59 has been available in the UK, R40 and R46 have been widely available.

However, MG won't typically update the software unless you report a problem with it - bluetooth issues is a good way to get R46 or higher.

Basically MG don't deem updates essential if the customer doesn't report a warranty issue, so they won't pay the garage for them so the garage is reluctant to do them.

The path to getting updates is to report problems and insist they are fixed under warranty, not to ask for updates.
Great way to not survive the European market. No pro-active software updates is a dead brand in a few years. Tesla has shown how It should be done, and people will demand changelog, over the air updates, long term support...

I had my Trophy upgraded to the latest software the other day and I've just realised the garage left the USB in my car. If it's of any help I can upload the files if anyone wants to try doing it for themselves?
Please please please get that onto a Dropbox or Google Drive and share the link!

There is a lot that can be learned even for those of us not in the UK.

Can friends who have received the latest update check whether "Turkish" is included in the language options? Thanks.

Yes, please do.
Just from a technical point of view, I'm interested to see how the process works, and what coding language etc is used. It might be beneficial for tools such as OBD11 to be developed for compatibility with MGs, or other 3rd-party tools for analysing battery use/health, or driving styles.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 542 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back