MG4 Software Update Thread

Thanks @Eber - I have a frustrating problem. When I’m plugged in, CarPlay works apart from one feature. I cannot dictate a text message via Siri when on the move. If I am stationary, then it works, when moving, I say “Hey Siri, send a text message to (a person in my contacts)”. Siri the responds via the car saying “what do you want to say” but it then does not hear me. When stationary, no problem. I can give Siri commands for maps while moving but text message not working.

Could you try sending a text via Siri while moving (and you feel safe to do so) and let me know if it works?
It's possible that Carplay locks out certain functions when it detects your phone is moving.
Android Auto does it too.

It's possible that Carplay locks out certain functions when it detects your phone is moving.
Android Auto does it too.
Yes, I’ve considered that but it has been working previously and I am advised that it should work…

The software version is shown in the Infotainment screen ... but that's only the Infotainment version - that's all we are able to see.

1100R13 is the latest known for the SE
1300R33 is the latest known for the Trophy
Can we do the updates ourselves over the cars Wifi Connected state - Granted that runs its OWN HUGE risks - Just curious - Sorry of this has been asked beforehand..

Could you try sending a text via Siri while moving (and you feel safe to do so) and let me know if it works?
Just did it on my way home and it actually works fine. I can send texts using Siri when the car is moving. Sent it to a mate and he responded. ;-)

Couldn't make a video with the phone plugged in to CarPlay unfortunately.

Just did it on my way home and it actually works fine. I can send texts using Siri when the car is moving. Sent it to a mate and he responded. ;-)

Couldn't make a video with the phone plugged in to CarPlay unfortunately.
Much appreciated. I wonder if it’s something to do with my phone. I’m going to do a reset and reinstall on the iPhone and see if that fixes it.

Comparing the reliability of the iPhone to the MG4's I wouldn't put my money on the phone though. ;-)

What kind of cable do you use? I had all kinds of problems with a cheap cable in the Ioniq 5 all of which went away with the original Apple cable.

Last edited:
So I've just come back from the dealer after having the locking update completed.. They're still telling me that there's no update to the infotainment system...

I've just called another dealer, they put my reg number in to see if there are any updates showing as pending, and it's still just saying the locking update (I guess it takes some time to update on their side)...

I still have R24. They have offered to take the car in and take "scan" of the software to send to MG to see if they can advise of any updates that they can get via another mechanism.

Does anyone know how the infotainment system updates are applied? This seems crazy, something this simple to get updated shouldn't be this difficult. The fact that I have a clearly out dated software version (showing the pre-prod message for Android Auto) should be enough for them to have queried with MG in the first place, not just fob me off and say there's nothing showing on the system and I just have to deal with it...

I dont even care much about the Android thing (I have an iPhone), but its an easy way to show the out-of-dateness of it... My main issue is the bluetooth being forgotten every time I start the car up. Unless I plug my phone in every time, I've got no hands free calling, which is frustrating to say the least.

I assume it'll be an issue with MG's records ... they log the VIN of each vehicle and use that as the master ID for their database of versions for each software module; their records aren't showing an infotainment update against your VIN hence why none is being applied.

My car is now on R33 (up from R24) unfortunately it has not resolved my issue with Android Auto (unable to use voice control when in motion - which also happens to be when you most want to use it) but I do now have album art in my instrument cluster which is nice I suppose and the consumption graph works.

Was going to try a reset of the infotainment RE: no voice control in motion but I checked and the car seems to think it's not logged into my MG account (despite it working in the app) so I think I'll not try that...

Perhaps in another month or so there will be a 34 or 35 with fixes for both of the above.

My car is now on R33 (up from R24) unfortunately it has not resolved my issue with Android Auto (unable to use voice control when in motion - which also happens to be when you most want to use it) but I do now have album art in my instrument cluster which is nice I suppose and the consumption graph works.

Was going to try a reset of the infotainment RE: no voice control in motion but I checked and the car seems to think it's not logged into my MG account (despite it working in the app) so I think I'll not try that...

Perhaps in another month or so there will be a 34 or 35 with fixes for both of the above.
Try this.... My android auto never worked when trying to send messages etc and now it does.

Go to setting and privacy... you have a long list of terms and conditions, you scroll to the bottom and think thats the end but then you have to scroll even further.... im not in the car now so can't remember but try scrolling down more and you see setting for nav, maps, audio etc.... enable those. Im pretty sure thats what fixed mine.

Perhaps. It shouldn’t be this difficult though. Any normal person that doesn’t check this stuff out would just take them at their word
I'm just speculating here, but perhaps MG aren't releasing the infotainment updates unless a fault has been reported. Has your dealer raised a fault, for example the Bluetooth dropping out?

Try this.... My android auto never worked when trying to send messages etc and now it does.

Go to setting and privacy... you have a long list of terms and conditions, you scroll to the bottom and think thats the end but then you have to scroll even further.... im not in the car now so can't remember but try scrolling down more and you see setting for nav, maps, audio etc.... enable those. Im pretty sure thats what fixed mine.
Unfortunately i've already enabled all of those. Perhaps I should try unpairing my phone completely, disabling those toggles, connecting my phone then enabling those toggles.

worth a shot perhaps..... Will do some experimenting tomorrow

Oh ok thats a shame. I didnt do anything differently on my phone. When you hold your finger down on the bluetooth icon and go to settings for the bluetooth section connected to the MG4, check I think audio and calls etc are enabled.

I'm just speculating here, but perhaps MG aren't releasing the infotainment updates unless a fault has been reported. Has your dealer raised a fault, for example the Bluetooth dropping out?
Nope. They’re too useless for that. I raised that and also the faulty door button and they basically said make note of how often it happens and maybe they can raise it with MG. At which point I basically just walked off

Nope. They’re too useless for that. I raised that and also the faulty door button and they basically said make note of how often it happens and maybe they can raise it with MG. At which point I basically just walked off
Contact MG Motors UK via their web form asking if the experienced issues are normal, and if they say no send to your dealer.

I did that when they tried to tell me new cars didn't have an undertray

Done that. I told them there’s an update and I was told by MG customer service.

Basically I’m just going to another dealer. They won’t be getting my custom again. Same with my girlfriend’s after we’ve collected her car tomorrow.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 538 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back