MG4 Software Update Thread

I noticed you're in Suffolk too, what dealer is doing this for you? Wonder if they might have time for another this weekend/saturday haha.

Will have to convince my (or any - very inconvenient to drive from Suffolk to London/Chelsmford) dealer to get this done for me. (are the infotainment updates quick enough to be done while you wait?)

My car (a Trophy) was delivered to me last week with R24 and everything is pretty good save for the lane assist being a bit wobbly at times (though it is in a family member's Hyundai too around these roads....).

But the major problem I have that i'm really hoping something between R24 and R33 will fix is that voice control in Android Auto pretty much only seems to work when I'm not moving, which makes it well.... functionally useless otherwise I am really very happy with the car. Good job people don't send me messages too often otherwise I'd be more annoyed by it...

edit: just to add more details of "voice control not working" holding the steering wheel button, saying "Hey Google" or pressing the mic icon on the display all end up in the same result of hearing the chime of Google Assistant beginning to listen, the listening popup being on screen then immediately dismissing itself. Fine if car is not moving (usually).
MG Ipswich showed no interest in updating the car but Halesworth have me booked in for next week now...

I noticed you're in Suffolk too, what dealer is doing this for you? Wonder if they might have time for another this weekend/saturday haha.

Will have to convince my (or any - very inconvenient to drive from Suffolk to London/Chelsmford) dealer to get this done for me. (are the infotainment updates quick enough to be done while you wait?)

My car (a Trophy) was delivered to me last week with R24 and everything is pretty good save for the lane assist being a bit wobbly at times (though it is in a family member's Hyundai too around these roads....).

But the major problem I have that i'm really hoping something between R24 and R33 will fix is that voice control in Android Auto pretty much only seems to work when I'm not moving, which makes it well.... functionally useless otherwise I am really very happy with the car. Good job people don't send me messages too often otherwise I'd be more annoyed by it...

edit: just to add more details of "voice control not working" holding the steering wheel button, saying "Hey Google" or pressing the mic icon on the display all end up in the same result of hearing the chime of Google Assistant beginning to listen, the listening popup being on screen then immediately dismissing itself. Fine if car is not moving (usually).
I’m near Halesworth and I use Hammonds. Who do you use?

EDIT, just saw you are booked into Hammonds. I find them decent to deal with.

I’m near Halesworth and I use Hammonds. Who do you use?
Don't really have a dealer I "use" yet. Only picked up the car last week but the dealer is in Ilford and I'm in Suffolk so quite inconvenient to go to them. Booked into to Hammonds at Halesworth for R33 next friday now though!

The software version is shown in the Infotainment screen ... but that's only the Infotainment version - that's all we are able to see.

1100R13 is the latest known for the SE
1300R33 is the latest known for the Trophy

The software version is shown in the Infotainment screen ... but that's only the Infotainment version - that's all we are able to see.

1100R13 is the latest known for the SE
1300R33 is the latest known for the Trophy
Well that is something I can check. Thank you.

Have they fixed CarPlay so that the side bar is on the right hand side for right hand drive cars, rather that on the left?

So frustrating, just like the laziness around making the app correct for the heated seat controls.

I had R33 installed to correct the Android "not for resale" water mark and also the recall update. It resolved this issue but also left online services deactivated. When selecting weather it comes up with activate head unit, and satnav also will not start. Does not recognise my sign in on the head unit and when doing a factory reset it will not show QR codes or recognise existing user sign in. I deleted my iSmart account from the app in order to see if I could start from scratch with no change. Dealer had a look at it today and then apparently spoke to MG who advised this is a known issue with the R33 version and a new revision should be out in a couple of weeks. MG are also apparently withdrawing R33. I was also told that you cannot regress the software so I am stuck with this until who knows when.

I had R33 installed to correct the Android "not for resale" water mark and also the recall update. It resolved this issue but also left online services deactivated. When selecting weather it comes up with activate head unit, and satnav also will not start. Does not recognise my sign in on the head unit and when doing a factory reset it will not show QR codes or recognise existing user sign in. I deleted my iSmart account from the app in order to see if I could start from scratch with no change. Dealer had a look at it today and then apparently spoke to MG who advised this is a known issue with the R33 version and a new revision should be out in a couple of weeks. MG are also apparently withdrawing R33. I was also told that you cannot regress the software so I am stuck with this until who knows when.

Lordy. 1 step forward, 2 steps back.

Really hoping the continued delay with my order works out for the best.

MG are also apparently withdrawing R33. I was also told that you cannot regress the software so I am stuck with this until who knows when.
A common trick in these situations is to re-issue the older version with a higher issue number.
By which I mean they might publish an "R34" that's really "R32" on the inside.

Interesting. I had multiple connection issues before, most of the times online services were not available in the car. No problems since R33.

Anyone here with R33 software and an iPhone that could do a CarPlay test for me? Having an issue.

I've got exactly the same issue after the update on my Trophy. No weather recognition - to activate head unit. The sat nav seems to be working after accepting Ts&Cs in the settings -> privacy menu.

Not sure if it has been written about, but here in Denmark I reported the HVAC issue with temp only getting warm past 24 degrees and they said it was a known issue and MG are working on a fix and I received an update specifically for the HVAC module. I was told that I am one of the very few who has gotten this update as they are still working on it. For now, this is working for me as it is getting warm from 21 degrees, but I only received the car yesterday so couldn't test it that much.

I have the Trophy but no updates as of yet for me, so still stuck with R24.

I was reading on FB this morning that there's apparently already an update from R33 to fix the loss of weather etc. issue?

Not sure if it has been written about, but here in Denmark I reported the HVAC issue with temp only getting warm past 24 degrees and they said it was a known issue and MG are working on a fix and I received an update specifically for the HVAC module. I was told that I am one of the very few who has gotten this update as they are still working on it. For now, this is working for me as it is getting warm from 21 degrees, but I only received the car yesterday so couldn't test it that much.

I have the Trophy but no updates as of yet for me, so still stuck with R24.
It's interesting in which way the updates are applied. In your case they updated the HVAC, but you didn't get the latest infotainment version. In my case the HVAC was untouched (although the issue was mentioned), but they gave me the infotainment update.

Can do tonight (R33 and iPhone 13).
Thanks @Eber - I have a frustrating problem. When I’m plugged in, CarPlay works apart from one feature. I cannot dictate a text message via Siri when on the move. If I am stationary, then it works, when moving, I say “Hey Siri, send a text message to (a person in my contacts)”. Siri the responds via the car saying “what do you want to say” but it then does not hear me. When stationary, no problem. I can give Siri commands for maps while moving but text message not working.

Could you try sending a text via Siri while moving (and you feel safe to do so) and let me know if it works?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 538 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back