MG4 Software Update Thread

Here's a thought. I'm not intending to take the car to the dealer for service. My local garage which is within walking distance can do the routine checks and so on. But if I do this, what do I do about the software upgrades?
You won't get any, or have your AA membership extended.

Thanks, definitely a brand new car. I'm dissapointed as I explicitly stated to the sales person several times that I wanted it on R33. When I drove off after pickup, she stated it was on the latest version. However, reading what Spaniard has written, should I leave it until 34 ?
There are bugs in all versions so impossible to know if you would be better off on R33 or staying on R30. As others have said, they appear to release every 3rd number, so R36 will be next.

It might be different in the UK. But European law states that you are allowed to have your car serviced anywhere as long as the manufacturer's standards are followed. Then the original manufacturer's warranty is still valid.
Yes, you have the right to take it anywhere so long as they use MG parts and follow MG service procedures - but they have to have access to those in order to do it.

I believe other garages can do the basic checks but it will have to be an MG garage for the software updates and since this is the time-consuming part then you might as well get MG to the lot (assuming you can find a good garage).

I've read on a FB forum that there maybe an R36 version. But if there are no problems I would say leave it until it goes for service and if they update it then and something doesn't work you can then complain.
We should be seeing R36 by now, R33 has been out for quite a while.

Thank you. So Over The Air s/w updates are not yet available ?
No and may never be, even though they have been advertised. We just don't know MGs plans here - note that this would only be for the infotainment unit/big screen, not for other car modules which will always require a dealer visit for updates.

It might be different in the UK. But European law states that you are allowed to have your car serviced anywhere as long as the manufacturer's standards are followed. Then the original manufacturer's warranty is still valid.
You can have it serviced anywhere, that much is true but only MG dealers can update software, extend the AA cover and make sure the anti perforation warranty inspection is signed off.

So, could you just take the car into the dealer for a firmware upgrade, but have it serviced elsewhere without any implications ?
Yea but unless there is a warranty issue, something not working or recall you would have to pay them for it, which I suspect would be the same as the total cost of a service if not more

Software updates are not a required part of the service to maintain warranty thus they can charge for them

Given all of the above, does anyone know if the firmware updates are incremental. So if mine went in with R30 and the latest release is R36, would they need to apply R33 then R36, so increasing the time it takes?
If so, it could be costly if you let your car become out of date.

Given all of the above, does anyone know if the firmware updates are incremental. So if mine went in with R30 and the latest release is R36, would they need to apply R33 then R36, so increasing the time it takes?
If so, it could be costly if you let your car become out of date.
Who knows? Miles described the update process in the latest podcast ... and it's very finnicky and labour-intensive - the module/system updates need to be applied individually, in the right order, and baby-sat through the process. That's why software updates will only be done at a scheduled service if they are needed, or if there is a recall, as that's the only way the dealer will get paid by MG for applying updates.

Had mine in again to check for updates today (and to get the door handle fixed - though that's another story!)

Still on R33 it seems. They updated something else, though I don't know what it was.. Still waiting on them to resolve the bluetooth connection issue. They've said they are going to contact MG and get back to me once they have the solution... Perhaps it'll just be a matter of waiting until R36 (or whatever's next) is actually released...

You can have it serviced anywhere, that much is true but only MG dealers can update software, extend the AA cover and make sure the anti perforation warranty inspection is signed off.
Correct. And is it really worth the hassle and concern over the warranty potentially being invalidated.

I am on R24, can anyone tell me the differences from that to R33 or even R36, there must be a list of the changes somewhere. Does anyone have any idea???

I am on R24, can anyone tell me the differences from that to R33 or even R36, there must be a list of the changes somewhere. Does anyone have any idea???
If everything works on your car I personally would not have it updated. Mine had R24 when I went to collect it but it was updated to R33 before I left the dealership. I have 2 minor issues. Bluetooth loses pairing and the sat nav can freeze. I do wonder if it would have been better if it had stayed at R24.

There’s a list a few pages back where someone posted a list of improvements that they’d noticed that came with R33. Things like the volume display, how the volume controls respond on the steering wheel etc. some nice quality of life fixes.

This post:
Post in thread 'MG4 Software Update Thread'

Last edited:
There’s a list a few pages back where someone posted a list of improvements that they’d noticed that came with R33. Things like the volume display, how the volume controls respond on the steering wheel etc. some nice quality of life fixes.

This post:
Post in thread 'MG4 Software Update Thread'
Well the Bluetooth pairing problem definitely was not solved.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 534 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back